Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Surgical menopause  (Read 6764 times)

Lou44

Re: Surgical menopause
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 04:31:28 PM »

Thanks Hurdity but I have tried patches & they were even worse. I am going to try testosterone but wanted to sort oestrogen first as I have read that a lot of it converts to oestrogen. Do you know if many ladies have ended up doing well on Premarin - I know it's made from mares wee, not great, but also that it builds up in the system, that sounds good as mine seems to drop off.

Lou44

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 04:34:37 PM »

Lindsey, I had my op a month before my 45th Birthday so similar age. What symptoms are you still suffering with? I think I was naive & thought hrt would sort everything! 😀

Linsey44

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »

Hi Lou44

Can I ask is your forum name and the number related to the age you became meno?  Mine is.

In some ways I have an easier time as without realising it I was obviously peri meno for a few years prior to BSO in Apr 14.  I used to have all sorts of ailments and felt constantly unwell.  Since hrt i no longer have the ups and downs that a more natural hrt free cycle gave me. I am less prone to rages and laugh at things that I would have reacted badly to before.

The worst thing is my sex drive has diminished at I feel having just turned 46 that is  too young to feel like that.  Dont get me wrong we still have a regular sex life and i generally enjoy it but very rarely initiate it.

I feel more tired than i used to and initially after BSO i lost weight but over the past few months i have put on prob half a stone which although i can get away with it, i would prefer not to have it

I still get hot flushes but as i often forget my gel for a couple of days and then get cranky. Husband will ask have you put your gel on?  I find alcohol and caffeine make them worse.

I would love to sleep better but then wouldnt most people?

In some ways i feel i have had an easier ride than some ladies on here and gps are generally more agreeable to giving you hrt for surgical meno than supporting women with natural meno.

That said we wont find out the full impact of surgical meno until we stop hrt completely.

I also had a hyster in 2013 due to menstrual issues and have to admit i enjoy not having periods any more.

Lou44

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »

Hi Linsey

Yes, I had my op 22 June & turned 45 end of July.

It sounds like you are doing reasonably well. Can you take testosterone or is it too high risk? I actually have some testosterone gel but want to sort oestrogen stuff first. Like you I had many gynae issues & its been going on for 8 years. Started with endometriosis, then fertility treatment (unsuccessful), then I suspect peri & cycles became shorter & only had up to a week of good days per month. Two years ago, accepted I wasn't going to get pregnant so decided to move on & deal with issues. GP said going on the pill would solve everything - ha! Three pills, mirena coil, patches, gels, zoladex & then hysterectomy.

Like you, my emotions & moods are already more stable (without progesterone) I don't suffer too much with sweats & can cope with dryness as can use Vagifem etc. but it's the joint pains which are definitely hormonal as they started with zoladex & eased somewhat when oestrogen levels rose but are back since op.

As for sex drive - zilch! Would help if I felt good in myself as sex life been bad for few years now with me being unwell so was Hoping to get that side of things going again! 😉

My energy is zero too, was hoping this was just as only 8 weeks post op. Testosterone is supposed to be good for that too.

Do you think less sex drive would happen to us all at this age anyway maybe?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I keep wondering about Premarin or implants! Must be a bit patient!

Lou x

Linsey44

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »

Lou if i were you i would give yourself more time, we had body parts removed and healing internally takes time.

I was 1st apr last year for BSO then went away approx 8wks later to 35degree heat, not the smartest thing ive ever done.  However i next went away almost 5 months post op and felt heaps better.  See how you are 6 months post op.  I can honestly say that i felt twinges etc for a lot longer after my BSO than after my hyster.  Both done keyhole by same surgeon  in the same hospital and thru same incision points but i felt total recovery took longer after BSO.  Maybe because our bodies are dealing with meno as well as healing?  Or maybe as my surgeries were not even 11 months apart.

I havent had issues with VA and dont use vagifem but do use a small amount of YES organic water based lube just in case.

I am aware if for any reason gel isnt absorbing i get cranky and feel the urge to pee more, but generally exfoliate inner thighs with a muslin cloth helps absorption.  Maybe all in the mind.

I dont know if testosterone would be an option.  Im going next wk to see surgeon as im having risk reducing double masectomy and reconstruction within the next month so will ask if BRCa2 women are allowed testoserone.  Ŵill prob have to wait until after op.

I am fortunate to have had access to a private gynae who i could email if i want him to change hrt etc and he would write to my gp advising him.  I had my hyster due to adenomyosis and bleeding 20days month/ 16 days between bleeds / clots etc.  so if necessary i can go back and see him re testosterone as well.

With hindsight a chunk of these symptoms were caused by peri so my hyster was the best thing i done,  but unfortunately i had to remove ovaries a short time later.

Most importantly my husband has been amazing throughout these years and i feel lucky to be supported like that.

Onwards and upwards we are still probably healthier than lots of people and should just relax and enjoy life.

Linsey x

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 11:25:40 PM »

Hi Lou - just wanted to say that I had a vaginal hysterectomy in July 2014 and it is only in the last month that I have felt back to almost normal. I am older than you and retained my ovaries but the actual op does shake the body up. Have you had a look at the uk hysterectomy forum?

Taz x

Lou44

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 07:38:21 AM »

Hi Linsey

Good luck with your appointment next week. I didn't realise you had another necessary op coming up so soon. You seem to be coping remarkably well. Really glad you have the good support of your husband.

It must have been a total rollercoaster for you, the last few years & you are inspiring.

I am going to Mallorca on 1st Sept & really can't wait, think it will do me the world of good.

I think when we get in a hrt hole, we can get desperate to try anything, I am going to calm down & if things don't improve, look into a change of tablet or the implant next.

Thanks so much for all your feedback & let me know how everything goes.

Lou x

Lou44

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 07:39:26 AM »

Thanks Taz, yes I am looking at hysterectomy uk forum too. Glad you are feeling better x

Linsey44

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 10:30:52 AM »

Hi Lou

Thank and enjoy your holiday, it will be perfect there at that time, nice short flight.

Plenty hrt and you will be just fine.

X
Pages: 1 [2]