Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Better Safe Than Sorry  (Read 3654 times)

Grangravy

Better Safe Than Sorry
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »

I've seen a fair bit of criticism leveled at GP's for sending women for investigative procedures, when ‘all they really needed was oestrogen'. Silly doctors didn't know as much as the women on a menopause forum.

Some symptoms can have a multiple of causes, and there's only one word that strikes more horror into a woman than the ‘M' word… the ‘C' word.

Unlike some, who would scare a suffering woman off a medical procedure because ‘they'd heard terrible stories about it', I'd say that I'm sure that doctors try to do what they think is best.

Most tests are done to ‘rule out' the cause as well as determine it.

Be honest, if in doubt - wouldn't you rather they ruled out the ‘C' word before blaming it on the ‘M' word?

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Better Safe Than Sorry
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »

Well in my case, I highly doubt that my sudden anxiety, insomnia, joint pain, diarrhoea and random depression could have been caused by any type of cancer.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 08:14:51 AM »

I agree, it's better to get checked out as many symptoms that we have could easily be something else entirely.

HRT is never a cure all at anytime.

I think most of us still place a certain trust in our doctors and when they start with tests to rule things out then we should definitely listen to them.

The forum can offer personal experience but should never offer actual medical advice at anytime.

Honeyb
x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »

I agree, it's better to get checked out as many symptoms that we have could easily be something else entirely.

HRT is never a cure all at anytime.

I think most of us still place a certain trust in our doctors and when they start with tests to rule things out then we should definitely listen to them.

The forum can offer personal experience but should never offer actual medical advice at anytime.

Honeyb
x

This.  I know its always terrifiying having to have tests but having had a friend in her late 40's die from womb cancer having been told for 10 months her constant bleeding was due to the onset of menopause I would much rather Drs erred on the side of testing.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »

Hello Grangravy.

I take your point about GP's and I agree that it is best to be thorough but I think ladies become frustrated when the menopause isn't included as a possible diagnosis. Given that all women in their forties and fifties have this experience you would expect doctors to consider hormonal changes as well as other factors when seeing their patients.

A lot of us have been amazed at the range of problems the menopause can cause and I think it would be helpful if GPs acknowledged that as well as looking at other causes of illness.

Take care.

K.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »

I guess they like to get the big ones dismissed first before they look at hormones.

Trouble is most of us turn up with symptoms that could be anything, but totally agree hormones should play a much bigger part than they currently do.

Better guidelines are needed for all GPs

Honeyb
x

Briony

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »

I hear what you're  saying Grangravy, but speaking as someone who had to endure two years of intrusive, costly and frightening tests, simply because my GP said I was too young to be menopausal, I do think GPs need to be better informed. I was belittled for daring to ask for my hormones to be tested. Thankfully the 'women on a menopause forum' ended my misery by persuading me to see a different doctor (who, incidentally, immediately told me to look on this forum as she thought it was great).

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »

Just as Kathleen says, the frustration starts when GPs refuse to even consider hormonal issues.

My previous medical history of PMS and PND made me a prime candidate for hormonal anxiety/depression in my 40s. But my GPs refused to consider it as 'I was far too young still'.

They would have had me dosed up on ADs.

My gynaecogist was very exasperated that 2 different GPs had ignored my medical history and both thought that meno issues couldn't start until you were in your 50s and suffering with hot flushes and night sweats (neither of which I have ever had).

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »

Oh, and both GPs ignored the fact that very early menopause runs in my family. My cousins were only 28 and 41, and my Aunt was only 38. My own Mum had a hysterectomy at 43, but had suffered terribly with mood swings and anxiety for several years prior to surgery.

Not surprisingly all her symptoms disappeared within a few weeks of her operation and starting HRT.

I explicitly told both GPs all this. But it was dismissed out of hand.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »

I've seen a fair bit of criticism leveled at GP's for sending women for investigative procedures, when ‘all they really needed was oestrogen'. Silly doctors didn't know as much as the women on a menopause forum.

Some symptoms can have a multiple of causes, and there's only one word that strikes more horror into a woman than the ‘M' word… the ‘C' word.

Unlike some, who would scare a suffering woman off a medical procedure because ‘they'd heard terrible stories about it', I'd say that I'm sure that doctors try to do what they think is best.

Most tests are done to ‘rule out' the cause as well as determine it.

Be honest, if in doubt - wouldn't you rather they ruled out the ‘C' word before blaming it on the ‘M' word?

Actually - if you read many posts on this forum, it is our experience over the years, that some doctors (GPs) do not know as much about menopause and HRT as some women on this and other forums! Not to say all by any means, but enough to know that this site, and forums such as this are an invaluable resource for many women.

The main point, as others have said is that many doctors fail to recognise menopause. Of course no-one on here would dream of suggesting that procedures to rule out anything sinister, should not be carried out! Far from it - and of course doctors are right in erring on the side of caution. It is the lack of recognition of menopause in the face of multiple symptoms and following tests (if appropriate) to rule out anything sinister - that is a concern as members have pointed out.

There are always tragic instances of cancer going undetected - but unfortunately this will always be the case due to some cancers being more "silent" than others, and some people (and in some cases doctors) ignoring symptoms until too late.

Fortunately most members on here give generously of their time and experience so that women are not scared off a medical procedure - but I feel sorry for those who do not have access to such support and advice and for whom, as you say, not having the procedure could have life-threatening consequences.

GypsyRoseLee -  your unhelpful experience speaks volumes, but glad at least you are now getting help and understanding your treatment.

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »

I don't understand your flippantly silly remarks Grangravy?

GPs train and study for years to be General Practitioners of Medicine, with the emphae very much on 'general'. They know a bit about an awful lot.

My friend is a GP. She recalls a couple of lectures about menopause, with a little bit of extra reading done during her Obs & Gynae rotation. That was all really.

Her scientific knowledge obviously far exceeds mine. But until talking with me she hasn't realised the (often) strong correlation between PMS/PND and women subsequently going on to suffer with anxiety and depression during peri menopause. She was professionally interested to hear the information my consultant told me, and much of it was news to her.

Briony

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »

Perhaps GPS should forget training for years to qualify, and just join menopause and other forums instead. :)

I find the tone of this quite insulting, given how much some of us have admitted suffering due to GP's lack of training. The first thing my new - excellent - GP did was direct me to this site!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 09:24:37 PM »

Sadly, me too Briony. Thanks to the mishandling of my symptoms by 2 GPs I essentially lost nearly a year of my life as I suffered terribly with anxiety and mood swings, not to mention the insomnia, joint pain and random diarrhoea.

Thankfully a third GP was more knowledgeable and put me on the right path. I am still a long way from being 'cured' but at least I am now listened to, and the 'cause' of my symptoms is being treated. Rather than just the 'symptoms' being blanketed by ADs.

Briony

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »

Absolutely! I think you and I feel particularly strongly about this as we have had the double whammy - difficult meno symptoms and at a young age. Like you, I lost a number of years of my life, nearly lost my job and only maintained a relationship because I have a supportive partner who battled with me. Even typing this makes me feel tearful ...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:44 PM »

It also depends on how a patient presents to their GP.  Many go with vague symptoms and as leaving the Room turn back and say 'oh by the way' ……… which is when they pluck up courage to actually tell the Doctor what they went for.  Knowing that we only have 10 mins. doesn't help either as the GP will pick up on the symptoms discussed often at face value.  If a person goes into the surgery clutching Kleenex and isn't able to explain overall how they are feeling, what's a GP to do? 

I think women have hidden their feelings until more recently.  Therefore GPs haven't been able to get a full idea of how menopause may/does present.  Even ladies don't always recognise menopause for what it is, only that they feel less well and less able than previously. Add to that the fact that women are now the in-between generation: i.e. caring for young children and elderly parents, whilst working; stress is a huge factor which impacts on daily coping abilities.  Also, there may be problems within our ethnic communities as to how menopause is approached in the Surgery particularly if a women is unmarried.

How to encourage GPs/Practice Nurse to learn more about menopause?  Maybe we, as ladies of knowledge, should be talking with our Surgeries with a view to them hosting evenings for discussion?

I think that Grangravy's comment was tongue in cheek - cut out the 'middle man' and get to the problem  ;)
Pages: [1] 2