Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: UTI'S caused by the menopause  (Read 5134 times)

Bluebell59

UTI'S caused by the menopause
« on: August 18, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »

I read this on a website - www.umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/urinary-tract-infection

Menopause. The risk for UTIs, both symptomatic and asymptomatic, is highest in women after menopause. This is primarily due to decrease in estrogen, which thins the walls of the urinary tract and reduces its ability to resist bacteria. Estrogen loss can also reduce certain immune factors in the vagina that help block E. coli from adhering to vaginal cells. For some women, topical estrogen therapy helps restore healthy bacteria and reduce the risk of recurrent UTIs. (Oral hormone replacement therapy is not helpful for UTIs.)

Source: Urinary tract infection | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/urinary-tract-infection
University of Maryland Medical Center
Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

Taz2

Re: UTI'S caused by the menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »

All true!  I had years of being on a low-dose antibiotic to keep the dreaded cystitis symptoms at bay before reading about VA online and the doc prescribed Vagifem which made all the difference.

Taz x

Bluebell59

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:40:44 AM »

All true!  I had years of being on a low-dose antibiotic to keep the dreaded cystitis symptoms at bay before reading about VA online and the doc prescribed Vagifem which made all the difference.

Taz x

Ditto Taz2.  I've stopped my antibiotics as I am becoming resistant to them, am seeing the doc 2nd week in Sept re Vagifem

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 04:58:20 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Bluebell59
Very interesting post and very true in many respects.  The only thing I don't agree with is the comment that systemic/oral HRT is not effective for prevention of UTIs - I have tried local oestrogen alone for the UTI type symptoms I get but systemic HRT has proved much more effective. Many find that they need both systemic and local oestrogen to help with vaginal atrophy, bladder and UTI symptoms.
I also find it helpful to use vaginal gels e.g. Multi Gyn Actigel, that help to keep the flora balance in the vaginal area and therefore prevent bacteria taking hold in the first place. 
Do keep posting. DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 05:02:07 PM »

I was on ABs more than I was off them, until I joined here and learned why !
Once in vagifem, once not had a UTI (since @easter)

jorainbow

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »

I was also wondering about vagifem and bladder issues. I wasn't sure how, if the pessary is absorbed purely into the cells of the vaginal wall to help out there, it then makes its way to the bladder? Just curious!!!

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:22:09 PM »

A lot of bladder issues are actually caused by thinning skin around the urethra which then allow bacteria to make their way up to the bladder. The Vagifem or other systemic HRT product plumps up the skin again leaving it much stronger and so less likely to allow bugs in. I'm not sure how it actually affects the bladder itself though. This article is interesting on how lack of oestrogen can affect the vagina etc. http://www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/focus-series/urogenital-problems/

Taz x

jorainbow

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:39:14 PM »

Thanks Taz very helpful x