Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: new member  (Read 5541 times)

Yammy1

« on: September 01, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »

hi
I am new to this site and am looking for advice.I am suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, my doc prescribed antidepressants(vedixal) and after two weeks of taking these I was worse, ie chest pains and even worse anxiety. I stopped taking these and the withdrawl was sever but im getting there. I tried hrt but with no success and was wondering if maybe i need to try a few different types to get one that suits.
I dont really get bad flushes but the anxiety is driving me mad.
any suggestions would be eternally greatful Sorry I forgot to say I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago (kept ovaries) I am now 51

regards Yammy
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:29:10 PM by Yammy1 »

Dancinggirl

Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:46:46 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Yammy1
Do read up all the info on this site to get really clued up.  The lack of oestrogen can really crank up the anxiety - it's really horrible.  At your age some oestrogen is a good idea as this will protect your heart and bones for the long term and it may well improve the anxiety etc.
As you have had a hyster you only need oestrogen and there are 3 ways of using this - pill, patch or gel.  If you only tried the pill form then it's worth trying the patches or gel as the transdermal route is considered the most effective for many women. You do need to use it for at least 3-6 months before you may feel the full benefit.
Do bare in mind that the oestrogen is bio identical these days so is the same as your own body would produce naturally, so you are simply replacing the hormone your body needs. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »

If you had taken ADs for 2 weeks then stopping shouldn't have been a physical problem as they don't have a long 'shelf Life'.  It took me 9 weeks to wean off Effexor after I had taken it for 4 months.  Sometimes medications can give the patient the exact opposite effect to what they are designed for  >:( - Prozac made me  :cuss:  ::)

Have a browse of the pull-down menus, top of screen.  Make notes.  Ask away  :welcomemm:  We have a humorous room for when things get tuff ;-)

Yammy1

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 05:22:11 PM »

Hi doc gave me fematab 1 mg to start tomorrow,, hopefully these will work as patches didn't. Has anyone any experience with these tablets ? I really hope they relieve symptoms especially the anxiety and fatigue.  :P

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 05:36:05 PM »

Yammy1, welcome to MM!  It sounds like your anxiety problem can be quite easily fixed with a dose of oestrogen gel.  You are lucky to have had a hysterectomy because the worst part of the treatment is having to take progesterone which you will not need - many of us on here with a very bad intolerance to it.

I have never heard of fematab but if it works, stick with it but if not, I would recommend you try the gel, it really works well.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Yammy1

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »

I will keep in touch thanks, if tablets don't work I'll ask doc about gel. The things us women have to go through makes me so mad. Hopefully these tabs work I hate being like this, snapping at everyone, tired all the time and the bloody anxiety is a nightmare. I just want to be me again. Sorry for the rant  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »

Welcome from me too Yammy.

I believe that the anti depressant you were on is also known as venlafaxine and there have been numerous accounts of severe reactions and also withdrawal problems after only a short use. It has now been discontinued in the US I think.

I hope Fematab works well for you but, if not, there are others to try although it can be a bit daunting starting again with another product but it's worth persevering.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 06:26:01 PM »

Yammy1
The anxiety and fatigue that can arise when the meno hits is often difficult to treat and you have been given quite a low dose of oestrogen which may take longer to build up and take effect. I would give the pills at least 3-6 months to work.  Some women do need a SRRI like Citalopram alongside the oestrogen to really get on top of the anxiety but I wouldn't rush into this.  Good luck - keep us posted.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »

Hi Yammy1  and also :welcomemm: from me!

I see Femtab is 1 mg estradiol and I presume you are in S Ireland as this isn't available here? However we have several products exactly the same. A pity patches didn't work for you - which type/dose did you try and for how long? Hopefully the tablets will help with your symptoms.

Do let us know how you get on - the current thinking is that ADs should not be prescribed for menopausal symptoms where you have hot flushes/sweats (as well as other symptoms) - so I do hope the oestrogen works for you  :)

Hurdity x

Yammy1

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »

Thank you all for replying. Yes I live in s/Ireland so my tabs may have different names. Doc wants to start me on lowest dose and see how it goes. I will give these tablets time and hopefully they will give some relief. Will check back in and hopefully I will be back to the old me soon