Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Asteroid shower  (Read 7220 times)

CJ-sleepless

Asteroid shower
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »

Did anyone catch the meteor shower last night?  I read about it and decided I'd look.  Despite my being a total novice at such things, I downloaded a compass on my iPad so I knew where to look and saw the international space station go by, exactly where they said it would be at 10.30pm.  I surprised myself at how exciting it all was!  I did see a couple of shooting stars but nothing that would equate to a "shower" in my mind - not sure what exactly I was expecting, but to me a shower mean a lot of action lol!  Even so, I found the whole thing quite fascinating - gazing up at the stars makes you think how small and insignificant we are doesn't it

Joyce

Re: Asteroid shower
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:22:35 AM »

It was meant to be around 100 per hour. I didn't see anything, probably too much light from street lights.

ellie

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:40:13 AM »

CJ how did you know where space ship would be, and wil it be there tonight?   I looked for the shooting stars last night but didn't see any :(
  We were on a cruise once and at midnight we went right to the back of the boat.....it was a really hot and humid night and pitch black....it was AMAZING , like being enveloped in the stars. Millions of them and shooting stars everywhere.  We were so where in the Caribbean ...I will never forget that night  :)

thorntrees

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »

We have been looking for a couple of nights but it's been a bit cloudy in our part of the country. We do watch the space station go over though. DH is signed up to a web site that sends us an e- Mail on nights when it's passing giving elevation, time etc. I'm sure the neighbours think we are crackers standing out staring up at the sky but it fascinates us every time . It's due about 9.30pm tonight so clouds permitting we will be out looking upwards!

Thorntrees

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »

I saw a friends post of facebook as it happens, and I just googled it - not sure if its there tonight as well - but NASA has a webpage with all sorts of info on it

ellie

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 11:38:05 AM »

:( going to be cloudy here tonight grrrrrrr

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »

The space station goes over frequently Ellie so you will be able to see it again. I think it orbits every ninety minutes - not sure where I got that from though!!

Saw a few here but it's difficult with the street lights and, shame on me, I couldn't be bothered to go out into the countryside!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 02:44:04 PM »

:thankyou: for this !

We often see the Space Station and it's so exciting  ;D.  I fell asleep completely last night so missed the shower and I had meant to begin this thread, but forgot  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 06:38:43 PM »

I had a look last night for about half an hour until 11.35 (while husband was asleep!) - it is pitch black where we live in a village and there were plenty of stars but a thin veil of cloud. I thought I caught a few out of the corner of my eye but nothing like as spectacular as I've seen them in the past so gave up and went to bed!

Tried to look for a suitable smiley but couldn't see one!

Hurdity x

ellie

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 08:39:07 PM »

:) we have just watched the space station go over , made my day  :) the sky cleared just at the right time.👍🏼