Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: good neighbours  (Read 8810 times)

babyjane

good neighbours
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:51:34 PM »

Our neighbour's patio heater is billowing thick smoke across the neighbours' gardens - pouagh and there is a worryingly high orange flame coming out of it.  I hope they are tending it properly.

Is it my imagination or do people do thoughtless things more nowadays.  Years ago we would inform our neighbours is we were having work done, holding a party, having a bonfire etc.  Nowadys people just seem to do what they want and blow anyone else.

Only this week we had to ring the council about an out of control bonfire.  Turned out other neighbours had rung also.

Has no one heard of communication and consideration any more.

Rant over, I feel better now  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: good neighbours
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »

Patio heaters are SO un-green  :bang: ……. again your Council should have regulations regarding these, or ring the Firebrigade for advice but don't use 999  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »

I was thinking this the other day when it started raining and I had to go and get the washing in. Next door  had already got there's in as he had obviously noticed the rain before me. Anyway, it brought a vivid memory to mind from when I was young and how my mum would shout "Mrs Smith.. it's raining" as she got her own washing in. All the neighbours did that. A small thing but showed neighbourliness I reckon.

Anyone else remember how even when people knew each other well they used the Mr or Mrs so and so instead of the christian names?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:13 PM »

The sense of community has gone I think. Women especially are out at work far more than even when I was a young mum so the chance to get to know people has gone. Even the school gates are full of childminders and grans.
There are people who stay a few doors up from me that I simply don't know. The first Xmas we moved here we put cards through everyone's doors and got a handful back.

We have good neighbours on either side and apart from that....nothing really.

It's quiet and peaceful and I like that.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 09:21:44 PM »

I know very few of my neighbours by name, but we still stop to speak to each other if out & about.  Nobody causes any major problems, apart from gardens & they've been sorted now.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 09:08:46 AM »

we know our neighbours on the part of the street where we are but aren't involved with them like mum was with hers.  Taz2 I remember the 'getting the washing in' scenario.  One day mum and I came home from shopping wet through and the next door but one neighbour had been round and taken mum's washing back to her house.

We have a very nosey neighbour opposite but he doesn't talk to us over a minor incident 6 years ago.  He doesn't allow his wife to talk to us either but when he is not around she will greet us with a quick 'hello'.  Trouble is a lot of our neighbours were here when we arrived 29 years ago and they are rather too nosey for us so we are friendly but don't get involved.  They do all help each other out though. 

ellie

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 11:57:33 AM »

We have lovely neighbours both sides. They feed our fish when we are away and bring our post in. They estate we live on is nice and quiet. I too remember the days when your neighbours would bring the washing in, and you could leave your doors unlocked.......Today's world is different, the back gate has to be locked, so not so easy for neighbours to get in and get the washing in if it rains....

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »

We've got one particularly nosy neighbour, knows everyone by name.

When we first moved here we knew everyone beside us, new estate so we were all in the same boat, same age range barring a couple. However, only a few remain now & newer neighbours are all much older than ourselves. I was never one to push myself on folk, hence not knowing neighbours.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 01:41:32 PM »

I had great neighbours in my last but one house. We all had our kids around the same time and all the mums were best friends and were in and out of each other's houses all the time. Then the kids grew up the street changed and we moved to a beautiful Victorian flat right on the seafront.
Worse thing I ever did as I had the upstairs neighbour from hell who made our lives a total misery and was violent too. Are we had her arrested and she spent the night in the police station there was no coming back from that. We sold up, made a loss, and ran away. I always felt guilty about the couple I sold to as I'm told she is a nightmare to them too.
In fact I bumped into the violent neighbour two days ago. She was giving out leaflets for the local food bank. She took one look at me and snarled, saying, I'm not going to bother giving my leaflet to you, you bitch.
I was so shocked and upset. If it wasn't for the fact she could probably find out where I stay I would have reported her to the food bank charity. Frankly I'm scared to.
I'm so glad I have quiet polite neighbours now.
An experience like mine makes you appreciate what you have got.

Sorry that was a bit of a ramble but it still upsets me.

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 04:29:44 PM »

stellajane you must like next door but one to us as those are our immediate neighbours  :)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 05:07:51 PM »

I used to take my neighbour's washing in and she would reciprocate or ring to say it's raining.  However, the neighbours we have now don't bother saying 'thank you' if I bring in the bins/washing when raining so I stopped doing so.  If it rained she never rings to tell me  ::)

We have a rented property the other side and new people moved in on Friday - they have 4 cats otherwise I don't know anything about them  ::) ……. but I won't be getting into feeding whilst they are away otherwise I'll never be away myself!

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 06:10:57 PM »

My parents have lived in the same house in a quiet cul-de-sac since 1958, when I was 4. The road has changed through the years and all their generation have either died or moved to sheltered accommodation or homes. Thankfully, they have kind, younger neighbours, who keep an eye on them, including one who rushed out when my mum was rushed to hospital in an ambulance. She told my dad she would be highly offended if he didn't ring for a lift home from the hospital when he wanted to come home. Which he did.

However, on one side the neighbours leave a lot to be desired. The house has been let as bed sitting rooms. The house is not large. 2 normal sized bedrooms and a tiny box room, one bathroom and loo and tiny kitchen. Loud music, shouting, swearing, arguments at all hours of the day and night (there is some advantage to hearing loss), rubbish strewn on the property and along the road and thrown onto my parents property, parking so that my parents driveway is blocked. Dad dare not park on his own driveway. So many problems over the years, too long to list. The police are regularly around, often knocking on my parents door to find out if they have observed anything. Illegal goings on have been long suspected, but no evidence. Another neighbour came over to tell my parents never to confront these people, but to tell him, so he can 'sort' them, not that mum and dad would. A comfort to me though. A petition has been given by the residents in road, not for the 1st time, to give to the council, which is going to be discussed soon. This time hopefully their case has been aided by a police raid this last week.

All the tenants, including the landlord, were arrested and taken away. Over the next few days lots of stuff was removed and taken away in police vans. A policeman came and asked mum and dad wherever they saw parcels being removed. They hadn't, but failed to mention they observed courier vans coming regularly.......doh! Mum has had a front row seat row seat watching everything going on and of course, we all hope this will all lead to the house being sold and bought by caring people, who will have a lot of work to do to sort the place out.

Makes where I live seem a bit tame!  :o

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »

Not a cannabis farm then, we had that in our village many years ago   :o   next door to the Post Office  ;D.

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 08:15:55 PM »

Can't wait to find out what has been going on. At least it has added a bit of spice to mum and dad's lives! :P

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »

They could probably write a book!
Pages: [1] 2