Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Probiotics - am I imagining things?  (Read 7885 times)

Probiotics - am I imagining things?
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »

I've used probiotics (the drink variety from the grocery store) the last few weeks and it seems to help my stomach. Bigger and better BMs ( ;) ), less gas, less gurgling, etc. I ran out a couple of days ago, and it seemed my stomach turned worse almost immediately. Is this real, or am I just imagining it? Could my ONE daily glass of probiotic drink be that important?? I bought a new carton today, and have started my drink ritual again....

I started my period a week ago, and I've felt pretty good lately. But today I have more stomach rumbles, am feeling hot and there were more hairs in my hairbrush this morning. Could estrogen levels on the way up cause these symptoms?

Limpy

Re: Probiotics - am I imagining things?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »

20032003 - The improved BMs were real not imagined!
You ask could just one probiotic drink a day be that important.
The thing is it's one more dose of probiotics than none at all.

"But today I have more stomach rumbles, am feeling hot and there were more hairs in my hairbrush this morning. Could estrogen levels on the way up cause these symptoms?"

I wouldn't have thought that rising oestrogen levels would be the cause.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 11:39:52 AM »

I also have one a day and two if I have to take an antibiotic.  My IBS is much milder and constipation is also much much better which helps with the haemorrhoids.

No, you aren't imagining it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise  :)

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 11:48:05 AM »

They do work, but pill form is even better as less of the good stuff is killed off before it gets to where it needs to be.

As BJ says....you are not imagining it at all.

Vitamins, supplements and probiotics all have their place.

Honeyb
x

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 12:19:36 PM »

They do work, but pill form is even better as less of the good stuff is killed off before it gets to where it needs to be.

As BJ says....you are not imagining it at all.

Vitamins, supplements and probiotics all have their place.

Honeyb
x

I have tried the pill variety too, but for some reason I didn't seem to get the same good effect.

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »

I usually have the pill form but forgot to order, took nothing and swelled up like a balloon round the middle, so I bought the drinks, tummy went down, forgot to have one about day 4, and the tummy reminded me, no more missed drinks here

If you're imagining it, then so am I !

Annie xx

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »

pills don't taste as nice.  I used to have pills but now I have the drinks in place of my usual lunchtime yogurt.  :)

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 02:39:43 PM »

pills don't taste as nice.  I used to have pills but now I have the drinks in place of my usual lunchtime yogurt.  :)

I agree. I can open the fridge and actuall crave my probiotic drink. That makes it a whole lot easier to remember to take it :)!

And I guess it also depends on which type of good bacteria the probiotic contains, whether a person will be helped by it or not?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »

NOPE not imagining it!  YEP! they work  ;) I was diagnosed with IBS years ago, I was suicidal.  My GP prescribed Colpermin etc. which I swallowed for 5 years. Then someone suggested Actimel and I really didn't fancy it  ::) : however! I began taking my AD and BB with Actimel at night and my bowels improved.  I noted for several years that when we went away from home and I didn't have a fridge, therefore I didn't drink it, my bowels slowed up again.

I don't drink it now and my slow transit seems OK - should it begin to be problematic I would certainly begin buying it: Mum uses Yakult!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 07:09:04 PM by CLKD »

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 07:05:04 PM »

Hello 20032003.

I'm another fan of probiotics and also fermented foods like homemade Sauekraut which also contain huge amounts of good bacteria.

Wishing you well, especially in the old tummy region!

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 07:09:25 PM »

Sauekraut - explain?

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »

Sauerkraut, directly translated: "sour cabbage", is finely cut cabbage that has been fermented by various lactic acid bacteria, including Leuconostoc, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus. Wikipedia

Sunnydays

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »

I have just purchased some Actimel and some Yakult (actually for my son as his tum was a bit off from tablets). I didn't know which one to buy as I thought they contained different lactus(?) whatever they're called but I've just looked in the fridge and they seem to contain the same. Der!! Are they just different brands of the same thing? Also, what are BMs?

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 09:26:27 PM »

Bowel Movements  :)

Just drink them before the sell by dates and you can decide what one you like best.

Honeybun
X

Sunnydays

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »

BM - of course! thank you  I assumed it was to do with going to the loo, but kept thinking of body mass!! I suppose there could be some connection there!
Pages: [1] 2