Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Enough prog to oppose the estradiol?  (Read 2692 times)

rantywoman

Enough prog to oppose the estradiol?
« on: August 15, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »

Hello ladies, I have been taking Femseven Conti for 6 months and have  got along ok with it. However, I now feel it is too strong so have cut the patch in half (started to develop acne, heavy boobs and slight nausea) ...so am now getting 25mg estradiol and 3.5 progestin every 24 hours
My main problems initially were severe VA and bladder issues which Vagifem sorted out. However, once moving onto Femseven Conti I felt good as the hot flushes and fuzzy head also disappeared along with the VA.
I am now waiting to see if the half patch will be enough to keep the vaginal and bladder issues at bay, if not I'm thinking of supplementing with one Vagifem a week. I'll still be taking in less estradiol than on a full patch but I'm concerned about having enough prog to oppose the estradiol from both the half patch and the Vagifem.

Does anyone think this sounds a good regime? Its useless asking my doc as she knows virtually nothing about hrt and neither does the surgery nurse. Its so frustrating not being able to find a health professional who knows or even cares about the subject. :-\

dazned

Re: Enough prog to oppose the estradiol?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »

I always understood that once you've done the initial two weeks loading of vagifem you have to continue with twice weekly doses vagifem forever alongside your systemic hrt ,I'm sure that's what others here do . :-\

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 04:09:24 PM »

I don't know about the progesterone but Dazned is right about the vagifem, it needs to be used continuously alongside usual hrt

Annie xx

dazned

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »

Local estrogen,vagifem,will not increase your estrogen intake by any significant amount so shouldn't need to be a consideration 're progesterone.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 04:15:52 PM »

dazed - If you are only using Vagifem without systemic HRT then it is important to keep using it at least twice weekly.  If you are using systemic HRT then this will plump up the vaginal area anyway, so I think using Vagifem occasionally or once a week should be OK. My gynae was OK with me using Vagifem this way.

rantywoman - so little oestrogen is absorbed from Vagifem I doubt you would get problems over the hormone balance but could check with your doctor.  I have been using Vagifem alongside systemic HRT but did find I got a bit of spotting when I used the Vagifem.  I'm using a very low dose systemic HRT and find my VA is a lot better than when I was using Vagifem alone - I've stopped using Vagifem for the time being to see if I still need it. DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 04:19:04 PM »

My gynae consultant told me because I was still having issues I can double up vagifem to 2tablets twice weekly alongside hrt, this is the only way I get less irritation down there

Annie xx

rantywoman

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies ladies. its reassuring to know that others also use Vagifem alongside systemic hrt. I suppose I could always try three quarters of a patch, but to be honest, I want the lowest dose systemic I can get away with.

This forum is such an informative place, I just wish more GP's were as clued up as the people on here. :)