Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How safe is Premique.  (Read 3380 times)

dap5645

How safe is Premique.
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »

Just need advise please from anyone who has taken or knows much about premique low dose HRT tablets. Started taking it three weeks ago and have read some quite bad things about it since. Don't feel too good on it yet either. But will keep on it for three months and see how I go.   

Galadriel

Re: How safe is Premique.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »

Hi dap5645,

The oestrogen component of Premique has been around since 1942 so has a wealth of long term studies associated with it. Premique Low Dose (Conjugated Equine Oestrogen plus Medroxyprogesterone Acetate (MPA)) was launched in 2005. The progestogen (MPA) has been well tried and tested too.

As with all medications, there are positives and negatives. You have only been on for 3 weeks so it is early days and will take some time to settle down. I was on Prempak for a while (related product) and it did make me feel yucky after the first pack... everyone is different. I stopped it last May and didn't restart HRT till February this year when I decided to give low dose patches a go. Again I felt yucky to start with but after the first 6 weeks it got better to the point I am better on it than off it.

It really is a matter of trial to see which one suits you best. Try taking it at night before you go to bed so you sleep through the settling in side-effects.

I hope this helps.

Galadriel x

bramble

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:36:10 PM »

As G says , it has been around for a long time which must point to its usefulness. I would stick with it for a while yet - I did find it the best I had tried.

Bramble

dap5645

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 04:20:45 PM »

Thanks Galadriel and Bramble.  I will stick with it. It's in a morning I feel really yucky, like a bad hangover and lethargic. I take it about 8 every night. Just made me sit up and think when I read stuff about it. I know there's risks with everything. Hoping it helps me. Hope you both are okay and take care xx 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »

dap5645 - I assume you are post meno? Premique is a continuous HRT so you will be getting progesterone every day and this can bring side effects.  It can sometimes be better to start with a sequential HRT and put up with a monthly bleed  to see if a certain progesterone suits you first, then move to the conti version if you want to.
Premique is one of the oldest types of HRT and sadly many GPs will opt with this first as they know it - it also happens to be one of the cheapest to prescribe.
I would give Premique 3 months and see if things settle but there are many other options to try, many HRTs have bio identical oestrogen and kinder progesterones but it is trial and error till you find the one that suits you best.  Don't be worried about the scares - the risks tend to kick in after you are 60 - read up all the info on this site and keep us posted.  Dg x

dap5645

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 06:09:51 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl,  Thanks for the reply. Yes I am post meno. I'm 56 went through the change at 51 and was great for the first two years then got vaginal atrophy. I'm twinging at min also I've got some gynest cream which can be useful. But this premique at the moment as floored me. But just hoping eventually it does me some good. The patches ( Evoril conti ) were great but changed because of constant bleeding from 5 months. Thanks once again. Take care. xx