Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: From sequi to conti & hating it. Am I able to switch back only 2weeks in?!  (Read 3759 times)

HappenstanceMarmite

New to this Forum but heard good things about the site.

Aged 54 so GP suggested changing from Prempak C sequential HRT (with monthly bleed) to Kliovance continuous HRT (no bleed). Great! (I thought  ???) ...no more monthly draining pain and discomfort. So two weeks into Kliovance and I am hating how it makes me feel - constant PMS with usual bloating, food cravings and irrational moods. Accompanied by intermittent bleeding requiring sanitary protection at all times. This was NOT what I signed up for FFS!

So to my question - can I just switch back to my stash of Prempak C sequi halfway through the Kliovance regime? Or is that risky in some way? I am going on a long waited for holiday in two weeks - the same time the end of first Kliovance conti is due. I don't want my holiday marred by feeling as I do now.

Thoughts please? Thank you

Taz2

Hi HappenstanceMarmite.

It is common to get breakthrough bleeding and the side effects you mention for the first few months - up to six months for the bleeding - when changing to a conti HRT. There is no reason, as far as I can tell, for you not to switch back to sequi HRT whenever you wish. Because it is a conti HRT there wont be a time to stop which is better than another if you get my meaning. You may find, though, that you will get a period a few days after stopping because you will be back on the oestrogen only part of the Prempak and it's the withdrawal of the progesterone which causes a bleed.

There are a few of us on here - me included until I had a hysterectomy and no longer needed a progesterone - who have chosen to carry on with the sequi HRT - because it makes us feel much better than having a continuous progesterone so you are not alone.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

HappenstanceMarmite

Thank you Taz! Very helpful.

I did read that it can take up to six months to settle, but I cannot stand feeling like this for that length of time!

I also just thought of something that may be of relevance re Progesterone - about 14 years ago I had a Mirena coil fitted (because of heavy periods plus contraception). I had it in for over a year and had almost constant light bleeding - more days 'on' than 'off'. So maybe I'm just not suited to a continuous feed of Progesterone? Just a clumsy hypothesis.

Taz2

It sounds as if your "clumsy hypothesis" might be right!! At least on the sequi HRT you know when to expect a bleed. Have you thought about going onto a sequi patch? I see that your periods on the prempak were not too good but I found that with the patch they only lasted around three days (after the initial first couple which were a bit painful) and weren't that heavy either. When you get back from holiday it might be a good idea to have a think about that. You can also use a gel plus separate progesterone although I haven't got experience of that. Patch HRT is thought to be safer for us as we get older.

Taz x

HappenstanceMarmite

Well I went to GP initially to review my HRT as I was experiencing night sweats and day flushes again. Not anything like pre HRT, but I wondered if I needed a higher dose of Oestrogen and/or a different brand etc. Got sidetracked by the exciting thought of no more periods so just grabbed that Rx with glee and ran!

So I would like to review it all but my GP is a little wary because of my age. Thinks I should stop it soon but she will have to shoot me before I give up HRT!

Taz2

Lots of us know THAT feeling!! Most GP's are ok up to the age of 60 but then it is common to have problems.

Why not introduce yourself on the new members thread if you haven't already? More members will notice your post then and will be able to welcome you.

Taz x

HappenstanceMarmite

Do you mean I should repost this thread in New Members? (didn't know it existed so thanks!)

Taz2

I just thought you might like to introduce yourself under new members - maybe mention that you have posted under All things Menopause.

Taz x  :D

Dancinggirl

Hi HM
Prempak c is an old fashioned type of HRT.  If I were you I'd try something like Femoston 2/10 which is a sequential HRT but probably a higher dose to your Prempak and this might be better for you at your age and stage of meno. I'm 59 and still using sequential HRT as I find using progesterone all the time gives me PMT etc. The bleeds are a nuisance though.  I hope to continue with HRT while I still need to work - so probably till I'm 66!!! I have seen a gynae privately to get support for staying on HRT. At 54 you are still a baby really , in meno terms - the risks don't really kick in till you reach 60 and even then it's risks versus benefits - for me the benefits definitely outweigh the risks. If you get really clued up then it's easier to convince the GP it's right for you to continue using HRT.
If you try Femoston and feel good on the progesterone phase of this HRT you could then switch to the conti version as you will then know it suits you. The progesterone in Femoston is gentler and suits many women better as a result.  There are many other options to try. Do read up all the info under the headings at the top of the page and get back to us with questions - we're here to support you.  DG x

HappenstanceMarmite

Thank you DancingGirl. Fabulous advice re Femoston. I've been looking into the various preparations and was going to ask MM members their thoughts re Femoston 2/10 as it has the more well tolerated progesterone. Wondering if my GP will try to persuade me to have the lower dose Oestrogen first because of my age  :(

Thank you for saying I'm only a baby...don't hear that anywhere else! ;D