Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: accentuating the positive  (Read 43955 times)

Cthrnstowe

Re: accentuating the positive
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »

I must admit I'm feeling more positive, just because I found this forum and know I'm not going mad, for the last few days I've not been looking on the Internet to see if I have a life threatening illness lol xx

Galadriel

« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »

I treated myself to a lovely facial and eyebrow trim before going shopping with DD for stuff for her University Halls. We had a good giggle and we drove the car with the roof down, singing at the pitch of our voices ;D

Galadriel x

LW44

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »

Not sure if this will help anyone struggling at the minute.. but certainly made me feel a bit more in control.. messaged an old school friend (male) who i knew suffered anxiety in the past and had counselling.. now recovered :-) this is what he had to say :
Welcome anytime. Easier to talk about it, then you know it's not just you who thinks the weight of the world is on your shoulders. I've had lots of messages from people, lots of folks our age struggling with the stresses of life. Definitely not alone. It can only make us stronger.

I convinced myself I was dying, was scared to leave the house. Looking back it's laughable. You really are what you think you are. Control the negative thoughts which are totally exaggerated and put in some new ones by writing them down and learning them like we did spellings at school. Sounds daft, but it's simple and an easy way to regain control. Don't believe those irrational thoughts. Write them down and decide how silly they are.

Hormones are a bugger!  obviously I don't know what it feels like, but it's a challenge that I'm sure you can work out.

Don't bottle anything up. Always talk to someone.
Haha, I was the same! Trust me, it's ridiculous looking back at it.

I was so scared that "something bad was going to happen", just that single thought got me into a full blown panic attack!

So I wrote down all the bad things I could think of. Added stupid ones like getting attacked off dinosaurs, mad giraffes, tortoises.... Then it just clicked, I Realised that I could control my thoughts and that they didn't control me.

Took years to realise this, but it was a defining moment.

I'm never ashamed, you shouldn't be too. All you've been through and how hard you work. Be proud you can talk about it, being worried that someone finds out you had struggles with anxiety is nothing to worry about.

Definitely made me stronger, wiser and mentally aware.

babyjane

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2015, 09:11:39 AM »

Thank you for taking the time LW44  :thankyou:

SadLynda

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »

Great help LW44, thank you :)

jorainbow

« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »

That's so true LW44 ! After a hilarious session of aqua aerobics with my long time friend(also a fellow anxiety sufferer and psych nurse) we went for a cuppa. And we're saying the same thing.  I'll also add not focusing on things helps. The less you think about anxiety (or any negative thing) the less important it is.Three weeks ago I was convinced my anxiety issues were back with a vengeance    but I ignored it and the irrational thoughts and it's gone. It's not the big monster. As a positive if you ever need a good belly laugh and a bit of exercise try aqua aerobics. 😆😆😆

Galadriel

« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2015, 03:02:26 PM »

LW44 - all of your post applies to me and it made me laugh too  ;D

I just remembered and funny positive from my holiday.
I was concerned about how my estradot patch would hold up in the humid high temperatures of Orlando and how it would fare in the water parks.
Well I'm pleased to report that as long as I was careful where I stuck it (abdomen seemed best as you will see...) it stuck to me like a limpet.

And then one patch change day I went into autopilot and stuck it to my butt cheek - not normally an issue.

No problem until the next patch change day... and I couldn't find the little blighter.

What had I been doing that day? Zooming down flume rides in a water park. One in particular is a five storey drop. Great fun until you hit the run-off channel and the bottom. Not only did it give me the biggest wedgie I'd ever had, it turns out it blasted my patch off. Goodness only knows what happened to it but it made me giggle that evening. I even roped in DH to hunt for the missing patch ;D

Galadriel x

LW44

« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »

aww that is sooooo good to hear !  its true thats how ive got myself stuck.. thinking "oh no its back" and the anxiety got a grip ... i am working really hard to ignore the thoughts amd feelings now... even writing positive ones down... managed to have an hrs conversation with my sis without talking about how im "feeling"  ;-)  just bought paint and plan to paint hallway... that will keep me busy !  thank you for sharing :-)  aqua arobics sounds good fun ! x

LW44

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »

galadriel -  thats hilarious  ; D. and the sort of thing that would happen to me ! i love water slides. and so good we can laugh about these things x

Galadriel

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2015, 03:14:14 PM »

I would normally have panicked about being patchless for the day but I couldn't have cared less. I wondered if it got stuck to the bloke who came down after me  :rofl:

I've often thought about writing the negatives down and then feeding them to the shredder  :o

Galadriel x

SadLynda

« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »

;D love the patch story.

My positive for today, that awful GP who tailed me from one practice to the new one is leaving in September :gym:  and I had a nice appointment with the nurse.

babyjane

« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2015, 04:00:29 PM »

my positive for today is that I had 7 hours sleep last night, and 6 the night before.  I wonder if feeling more positive helps you sleep better.  I guess it's better than lying awake staring into the dark mulling over how awful everything is.

LellyM I bet you didn't know what you were starting with your little comment about being optimistic but thank you for it x

SadLynda

« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »

7 hours sleep??? what all at once?? Wow :) :)

babyjane

« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2015, 04:04:43 PM »

apart from a wee in my bucket at 3am  ;D

SadLynda

« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2015, 04:33:33 PM »

;D of course
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15