Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: accentuating the positive  (Read 43939 times)

babyjane

accentuating the positive
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »

anyone know the song?

You've got to accentuate the positive
eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
But don't mess with mister inbetween

Following on from suggestions made today about pretending to be optimistic even if you don't feel it, lets try an experiment in glass half fullness.

As far as possible, for a week, if you can, try and 'pretend' to feel positive even if you don't really and see if it makes any difference to your mindset after a week.

I will find this very difficult being naturally a glass three quarters empty person for over 50 years but I am going to try.  Anyone else?  Unhinged? Sparkle? Lynda?

Unhinged

Re: accentuating the positive
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »

Babyjane, I'm in!

Whatever happens, our experiment can't do any harm to us, only good!

So whenever I feel a big flush or the anxiety starting, I'm going to laugh and swear loudly at them - or in my head if I'm in company!

Everytime a negative thought comes in, I am going to grab it and make a deliberate effort to think positive when it happens.

I'm going to make an effort to think cheerfully about the future and every day.

I'm going to try tricking my mind into believing that everything's great, so it becomes a habit to think that way. Habits are very hard to break - this could work! x

bramble

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »

Sarai

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »

'Very good idea. I'm tired of the negativity too. My tinnitus among other things has done my head in and I've been fighting it, to no avail. Today I decided no fighting, Im going to relax into it. And I kept saying I will get better, I will get better. Before I even read this thread.
So yes Im up for it. It cant hurt and its not a drug so here goes.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »

that's wonderful bramble  :thankyou:

lets keep each other going if we can.  We are probably going to be exhausted by next Tuesday  :catscratch: :meltdown:

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »

I've just realised that I am going to have to ignore the 'what ifs', and turn them into 'so what's'.  eeeek  :o

Maybe, for me, the challenge is to try and live in the moment.  Goodness just what has LellyM started with her comment  ???

Unhinged

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:42:33 PM »

Yes we're all going to be worn out ha ha! Good point Sarai, I'm going to stop fighting it too - no point, I'm going to ride through, and I've just laughed another flush in it's face!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »

I find that if I go into the village shop or meet people briefly, it gives my adrenaline a boost and I feel better.  So long as anxiety isn't there first!

SadLynda

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »

Already been doing it, can I have a 3 day headstart ;)

I have just been on the SimplyBe website and ordered some pretty new underwear in the sale, only me see it but it makes me feel better.  That is my positive for today.

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »

My positivity is not going to be genuine to begin with, it is going to be false and forced.  However I will be very interested to see if I can start to break the negativity habit and turn this round.

I realise a week will not change long held habits but it feels good to be proactive and take control of a small part of this wretched process.

I also want to say that we are not trying to be glib or make light of the troubles some of us experience.  this is not saying 'cheer up' to anyone who is genuinely depressed or in turmoil. This is more a light hearted approach to issues that we feel able to confront.  It is not meant to cause offence or make anyone feel trivialised.  If this thread does make you feel like that then please pass it by.

SadLynda we'll just follow your lead................................

SadLynda

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 04:25:15 PM »

new undies all round then ;D

(also certainly not making light of this, feel like a bag of poo most days)

Unhinged

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »

Hi SadLynda, ooh, do you feel it has made any difference yet?

That's a good positive. My positive is that I went to the docs unplanned without an appt and waited, and got new HRT to try!

I've also been chatting to some ladies on another thread about Scotland and planning my holiday. I actually don't feel a bit anxious at the moment, only excited!

I'm on a roll, I have just in the last few minutes arranged to go out with my great sister for lunch tomorrow! Ain't like great! (? see am doing it!)

Unhinged

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »

babyjane, yes, much of it is going to be forced, it's our attempt to change the way we think. I hope others won't think we're trivialising cause this menopause and anxiety sucks, this is just one other way we're trying to help ourselves. Anything that might even have the remote-ist possibility of stopping the darkness has to be tried, and there's no pressure, we'll all just do the best we can x

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »

I don't think they will Unhinged but I just wanted to cover all bases because if someone felt really down and looked at this thread it may appear a little trite and they might not understand what we are doing.  I didn't want anyone to be offended so I tried to explain what we are doing and why.

Well I have decided that it really doesn't matter what dinner is like tonight so have left hubby in charge and I am not going to go down and see what he is doing until he calls me to tell me it is ready, although he has called up a few times to ask questions  ::)

If any of you knew me you would realise what a biggie this actually is  :-\

Sparkle, no pressure, see it as a game.  there is no success or failure but we need a little fun sometimes.  Give it a go, I am and I don't think I will come to any harm however it turns out.  I will just have to try hard not to beat myself up if I don't manage it one day  :)

Unhinged

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »

No it's good you've covered it off babyjane, it will always be there right on the very first page so everyone will know what we're trying to do, and we can go forward guilt-free about what we write without holding back for fear of upsetting anyone.

Well as that is a biggie for you then that's a fantastic start - I did chuckle about the calling up with questions though!

Nope no failing, we'll have hiccups and bad days as always, I think the fact that we're even trying it is the biggest positive of all, shows we haven't given up yet!

I am going to celebrate and take my ginger tea to the bath with me!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15