Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How long (typically) before Vagifem starts working?  (Read 16106 times)

spookstreet

How long (typically) before Vagifem starts working?
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »

I've been prescribed vagifem pessaries (10mg) for what's been described as 'mild vaginal atrophy'. I've done the first two weeks, using it every night, and have just moved on to twice a week (first one last night). I'm still getting the symptoms I originally had (pee feels too warm, plus sensations of warmth in the genital area), plus I know from how things feel this morning (i.e. after having used it last night) that there's still also some minor irritation from the pessary itself.

So I was just wondering how long other women had had to wait before the vagifem starts to kick in? I am known for my impatience!  :)

dahliagirl

Re: How long (typically) before Vagifem starts working?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »

TBH, mine took a while.  It only seemed to touch the surface with the first packet. The doctor told me to do a 2 week boost again, then I used them every 2 days for a while. I tried using them twice a week and invented lots of ways to make 3 days and 4 days more even.  Now I use one every 3 days.  After 2 years, it is a lot more settled and my tissues feel plumped up.

My initial problem was constant 'infections' that were either BV or thrush but did not came back with results on swabs, and I was too sore to sit properly.

I started using hrt tablets after a year which help with the bladder irritability that vagifem did not.

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »

are you on HRT as well?
I was prescribed vagifem every 3 nights for UTI type problems (no infection, just irritation). It helped with that within a few weeks, however not entirely, so was increased to every other night (better). However it has little effect on dryness. Worth it for the 'interstitial cystitis' help though. Very low dose absorption so the clinic told me very safe.

spookstreet

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »

TBH, mine took a while.  It only seemed to touch the surface with the first packet. The doctor told me to do a 2 week boost again, then I used them every 2 days for a while. I tried using them twice a week and invented lots of ways to make 3 days and 4 days more even.  Now I use one every 3 days.  After 2 years, it is a lot more settled and my tissues feel plumped up.

My initial problem was constant 'infections' that were either BV or thrush but did not came back with results on swabs, and I was too sore to sit properly.

I started using hrt tablets after a year which help with the bladder irritability that vagifem did not.

Many thanks - that's very useful to know. I should have said that, in addition to the continuing 'hot pee' etc, the reason I've ended up on vagifem was urinary infections - some of which didn't show up on swabs at all.

I'll see whether things are feeling better towards the end of the first packet and speak to my GP (who entirely missed the problem: had to go private to see a urologist to find out!) about what next.

spookstreet

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 11:40:34 AM »

are you on HRT as well?
I was prescribed vagifem every 3 nights for UTI type problems (no infection, just irritation). It helped with that within a few weeks, however not entirely, so was increased to every other night (better). However it has little effect on dryness. Worth it for the 'interstitial cystitis' help though. Very low dose absorption so the clinic told me very safe.

Many thanks, oldsheep - very useful! I'm not on HRT and really don't want to be - after all, no men on the horizon at the moment and, since the menopause, i couldn't give a toss!

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »

It took me three weeks to feel the benefit, that was 4 years ago.  Sometimes I have to do a reload, about once a year on average but I have found it to be consistently good.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »

I have just done a month of it, I found that after the two week loading it was towards the end of 3rd week that I suddenly improved alot. I still have a couple of mild symptoms but hugely better than I was. Visually the caruncle at entrance to urethra is tiny compared to before the vagifem and the V A has gone and all looks pink and healthy again.

I do get a little irritation the day after I have used it until the residue comes out about lunchtime. It feels like a slight hot feeling when i sit down but once any residue has worked its way out the feeling goes so its def caused by what looks like tiny spot of gel thats left over from the pessary.

I have been told to use it twice a week for 3 months then try stopping it and see if the syptoms come back and if so go back longterm.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »

Hi spookstreet

The problem is if atrophy and related issues are severe - the 2 week loading is just not sufficient a loading period for all women. There used to be the same product in 25 mcg doses instead of 10 mcg so you can imagine this would be more effective - as indeed the studies have shown. The reduced dosage was based on the fact that a significant proportion of women experienced significant reduction in symptoms and associated physiological changes with 10 mcg - but this was not 100 % of women - so for the remainder, a higher dose is undoubtedly needed.

Some women with the support of their doctors actually use double the dose ie 2 vagifem twice per week instead of one ( although 4 per week would produce the same effect - although less convenient!).

I use Vagifem or Gynest cream alongside full HRT in order to feel completely comfortable down there but many women manage just with Vagfiem - as babyjane says - with a regular re-load to replump...

Hurdity x

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 05:20:50 PM »

I use 10mg Vagifem on alternate nights which gives 70mg over a 2 week period with my GP's blessing as it is still less than the 25mg twice a week which gave 100mg over a 2 week period. this seems to work in my case  :)

spookstreet

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »

I really appreciate all your helpful replies - this is the kind of information you just can't get from a GP! As in my case the atrophy was said to be 'mild', I would hope that the 10mg dose should at some point be sufficient. But at least I now know it's worth being patient!  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 10:09:39 PM »

Any ladies with repeated urine-type 'infections' need to make sure that their urine samples are sent to a Lab. to be grown! as a swab taken the surgery cannot confirm infection.  Samples take between 3-10 days to 'grow' bugs and if these are present, only then can the correct anti-biotic be given.

After 2 urine-type symptoms a lady should be offered vaginal atrophy treatment.  GPs are not always aware  ::) …….. fortunately mine was!  The product I got on really well with initially was withdraw from the market  >:( so my GP suggested Ovestin1mg - again a 2 week loading followed by gaps in-between.

If Vagifem doesn't suit then maybe ask for Ovestin ……. some ladies find the pessary part irritates  ;)

Will bump my thread. [if I can remember the title  ::) ]