Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bonfires!  (Read 6725 times)

Minusminnie

Re: Bonfires!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2023, 06:45:17 AM »

Not as many going off around here compared to previous years.  Sign of the times maybe.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2023, 10:33:15 AM »

No one should let off fireworks on a Sunday anyway!

sheila99

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2023, 04:53:48 PM »

Most people have fireworks so they can see them not listen to them. If they reduced the noise level to a quiet pop instead of a bang it wouldn't detract from people's enjoyment and wouldn't frighten the life out of animals (and war veterans).
Bonfires - why is wet wood allowed on a bonfire but not in your wood burning stove? Any justification?

Autumnwalks

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 05:00:50 PM »

interested to know why you say that.

Limpy

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2023, 05:47:46 PM »

Why not on Sunday CLKD?
Bonfire night was on a Sunday this year, are you seriously suggesting nobody should have fireworks on Bonfire night?

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2023, 06:48:43 PM »

Yep. When I was growing up in the last 1950s no one would have considered fire works on a Sunday  :o - it was a Day of Rest, plus many people would be in a Service at least 3 times a day.  Saturdays were the night of choice, kids could stay up later as there was no school .........

sheila99 - because there's no joined up thinking?  I see that some have complained about paying to see a commercial display but due to smoke a lot of the show was lost  ::).  I agree that there isn't any necessary for those noisy fireworks, however, many of these have been bought illegally from China - designed for commercial displays but available on the internet. 

Why a bonfire anyway .........

Limpy

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2023, 07:41:39 PM »

Sunday being a day of rest assumes:-
1) Christianity being the only religion - others are available, probably with more followers, Sunday has no relevance then.
2) Anybody having an active interest in any religion now.

Why a bonfire?
In the UK I believe there is a tradition associated with Guy Fawkes - Google for more information.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2023, 07:49:04 PM »

Why is it associated with Guy Fawkes  :-\ - he wasn't burnt at the stake . 

Limpy

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2023, 08:05:45 PM »

CLKD  I am truly surprised that you don't know about Guy Fawkes and bonfires. No Matter, Wikipedia describes it well.

Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day, Bonfire Night and Fireworks Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in Great Britain, involving bonfires and fireworks displays. Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605 O.S., when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. The Catholic plotters had intended to assassinate Protestant king James I and his parliament. Celebrating that the king had survived, people lit bonfires around London. Months later, the Observance of 5th November Act mandated an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure.

Within a few decades Gunpowder Treason Day, as it was known, became the predominant English state commemoration. As it carried strong Protestant religious overtones it also became a focus for anti-Catholic sentiment. Puritans delivered sermons regarding the perceived dangers of popery, while during increasingly raucous celebrations common folk burnt effigies of popular hate-figures, such as the Pope. Towards the end of the 18th century reports appear of children begging for money with effigies of Guy Fawkes and 5 November gradually became known as Guy Fawkes Day. Towns such as Lewes and Guildford were in the 19th century scenes of increasingly violent class-based confrontations, fostering traditions those towns celebrate still, albeit peaceably. In the 1850s changing attitudes resulted in the toning down of much of the day's anti-Catholic rhetoric, and the Observance of 5th November Act was repealed in 1859. Eventually the violence was dealt with, and by the 20th century Guy Fawkes Day had become an enjoyable social commemoration, although lacking much of its original focus. The present-day Guy Fawkes Night is usually celebrated at large organised events.

Wikipedia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2023, 08:23:34 PM »

That doesn't explain the bonfire aspect as he wasn't burnt at the stake.  He was hung: because he died during that drop he wasn't drawn and quartered after.

Also: how do the ancestors feel  :-\

Also, what happened to respect for all religions in the UK ?  The nearest Monday to the 5th should be enough, although our family always had Sat parties.  Shows how insular my upbringing was!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 08:25:58 PM by CLKD »

Limpy

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2023, 08:29:36 PM »

That doesn't explain the bonfire aspect as he wasn't burnt at the stake.  He was hung: because he died during that drop he wasn't drawn and quartered after.

Also: how do the ancestors feel  :-\

Also, what happened to respect for all religions in the UK ?  The nearest Monday to the 5th should be enough, although our family always had Sat parties.  Shows how insular my upbringing was!

Er why Monday?

Autumnwalks

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2023, 08:47:45 PM »

Following the thwarted plot, Londoners lit bonfires in celebration.
Great memories growing up of Bonfire Night, whatever night of the week it was. Sll the children in the street round to ours for a big bonfire and fireworks. We always made a guy and sat them up the table with us. ;D Lovely night last night with a firework display and hot dogs. A great turn out. I love fireworks and intend to have some of my ashes go up in them.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2023, 08:53:23 PM »

We made a 'guy' which would then be sat in the outside loo.  Always made any1 jump, including the postman leaving parcels  :o  :-X.  Old trousers, shirt and jacket of Dad's and they must have been really, really old  :-\.  Straw for the body, lots of string to keep it together .........

Why aren't there celebrations about other historical events?  i.e. each time Henry chopped off a head it altered history  :-\.

'fotheringhay' written by Sandy Denny .......

Pages: 1 [2]