Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 2412 times)

CJ-sleepless

Vagifem
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »

I've asked my GP for vagifem after my physiotherapist said I was so dry, bordering atrophy.  She seemed hesitant to prescribe it alongside my HRT (femiston conti).  I understand I have to use it every night for a week then "top up" afterwards.  Everything I've read has told me that vagifem is a small dose, and can be used alongside HRT - am I wrong?  Is it just my GP being over cautious?  I've just done a search on here for vagifem and came across a post from Hurdity I think it was saying "you'd think a vagifem pessary was crack cocaine from reading all that stuff" - so funny.

I've got the prescription, but its not on repeat - surely its not a "use once and then stop" sort of thing? If I have to have this argument every month its going to get tiring....

countrybumpkin

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »

I am now on this and you have to use it daily for 2 weeks or at least that is the normal prescribing but it may be different if you are already on hrt. AFter that its twice a week. I wasn't given a repeat prescription either at first as I had to go back to my Gp before the month was up and be re examined so she would know the treatment was working and then she agreed to put it on repeat for me although I have to try stopping it after 3 months use to see if the syptoms come back or not. If they do then I can use it long term.

There are alot of more knowledgable people on here about this who I am sure will be along soon.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »

there are ladies on here who use both and my GP would have given me both if I had wanted it.  Your GP is being over cautious or is not fully informed. 

this from the green menus at the top of the page -' Local estrogen can be used for vaginal and bladder symptoms, when systemic treatment is not desired or appropriate. For some women, vaginal estrogen may be required along with systemic HRT'.

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »

Thanks babyjane - my GP is fab with everything else, but HRT seems a grey area for her - perhaps I'll start printing stuff out from here to show her lol

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »

quite a few ladies have done that and quite a few GPs have heard of Menopause Matters  :)

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »

The funny thing is that it was my GP that directed me to MM in the first place! Perhaps she should actually read it as well ....

jorainbow

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »

I think GPS are very hit and miss. I had been suffering from external dryness only and wasn't even examined before I got a script for vagifem. I'm on the twice a week part now with a request for a phone call to the gp at 6 weeks to see how it's going. I don't take anything else. 

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 01:03:38 PM »

I'm on max oestrogen hrt AND 4 a weekl insertions of vagifem, it's ok as vagifem deals with just that area

Use one each day for 2 weeks then one twice weekly after that and don't stop! The symptoms come back

Good luck xx

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »

Yep - you have to be on it forever (local oestrogen) to keep VA at bay. Strange how some GPs are not clued up....! I'm one that's on both (HRT and local oestrogen) and as babyjane pointed out is recognised on this site by Dr Currie. All my (HRT) stuff is on repeat (even at 62!) but I have to have it all reviewed now and again. It's great having online prescriptions too because I just log in and order it - if I'm late with a review they still give it (the prescription) but just let me know I need to make an appt! Now it's free it's even better  :). One advantage of being over 60!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 07:53:21 PM »

I've just done a search on here for vagifem and came across a post from Hurdity I think it was saying "you'd think a vagifem pessary was crack cocaine from reading all that stuff" - so funny.

;D wish I was that funny - but I thought it didn't sound like me (I'm a bit too boring!) so I did a search too and the credit must got to ancient runner for that quote!!!!

Also grumpymum used it about trying to get citalopram from the docs a couple of years ago!!

Hurdity  :) x