Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello, I'm new here too  (Read 1664 times)

pricey

Hello, I'm new here too
« on: August 09, 2015, 02:22:33 PM »

Hi, I'm hoping to find some support from meno 'soul sisters'.

At 50, you'd think I'd have been fully prepared for the perimenopause, but it's snuck up on me!

My periods have been 23/24 days apart for a couple of years and very heavy. I've battled anaemia and the Dr heeps pushing me to get a Mirena coil. The past month I've had episodes of racing heart once in the bath, once in the shower, one time in Tesco! (sometimes accompanied by a rush of warmth)but not the obvious flush I remember my mum had. I had ECG and various other tests at A&E with the first episode -- all normal. I am also waking very shortly after sleep with feelings of choking/heart racing/shakiness which calms down when I realise I'm not in immediate danger. I feel like crying constantly and although I've been under quite a lot of stress lately, I'm not convinced it's purely stress/anxiety. Husband and family are supportive but they are putting it down to stress. but this feels out of my control and I almost fear what my body is going to do next. I've read lots about palpitations during perimenopause. Does this sound familiar?

Feeling alone  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello, I'm new here too
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »

Yep - sounds 'within normal limits'  ::):welcomemm:

Have a browse of menus, top of screen.  Make notes.  Ask questions.  As hormones dip and rise they can feel over-whelming.

pricey

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »

Thank you! I will check them out :)

Unhinged

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »

Hi pricey, I'm new too after just reading for several months, everything you are experiencing (and more besides) describes exactly what I felt when starting meno. I'm 54 and post menopausal - no periods since 50, so maybe you're just about to cross the line! I get anxiety with menopause and the shaking, crying, heart racing etc sounds like hormonal anxiety to me as I get those too! Good luck, know you're not alone!
Unhinged Shirley.

pricey

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »

Hi Shirley,

Thanks so much. That's made me feel way better. My doctor isn't much help as she says I'm still having regular periods (although they're shorter cycles: 23-24 days) so I'm thinking I've got years yet. I was expecting to feel much more heat with the flushes, but there's a definite feeling one is coming on, following by a feeling of breathlessness and then racing heart. I'm managing to keep myself calmer when they happen, but it's not easy. Last month my breasts ached constantly. This month has been better but now I have all these other symptoms. I can relate to the 'unhinged' ;)

Unhinged

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »

You're welcome pricey, it's great on here as we can all help each other, and I've found that just knowing I'm not the only one who feels like they're going lala is the biggest help of all! For a few months before I went into menopause my cycle got closer together rather than further apart, also the colour of the blood seemed to darken, so watch out for that as a sign. Then my periods stopped suddenly, I had another one about 3 months later, then one about a year later, now nothing for around four years. Everyone goes into it differently, but it certainly sounds like you're getting nearer that time to me.
My flushes started out weak, barely noticeable, now are at full strength. You can definitely feel when they're coming, a sort of build-up, then for me now an outright surge that takes my breath away. When they happen try just deep breathing through it, that does work. It's the feeling of anxiety and being out of control that I like the least. Since I posted for the first time yesterday, a lot of  the ladies came on with advice about the anxiety side - have a look if you get the chance, my post is near yours on the new members section. Good luck again, and keep posting what's happening to you - guaranteed there will be loads of us experiencing the same x