Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT PATCHES AND IRREGULAR BLEEDING  (Read 3803 times)

Cathypops

HRT PATCHES AND IRREGULAR BLEEDING
« on: August 06, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »

Hello Friends,
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and whether it is something else to worry about other than the HRT?
I started HRT in pill form about a year ago and yes it solved the night sweats etc and gave me a regular monthly bleed. BUT it made me feel so nauseous that I couldn't continue. Now my GP has put me on patches (4 months now) and that seems to work but I seem to bleeding on and off ALL THE TIME. Like this morning I went out for my daily shop with a tampon in place, and my womb just went into spasm and was pushing out so much blood that I had to get home asap (hence forgetting some vital things off my shopping list!) I had to wash my underwear and jeans as soon as I got home.
The whole 'cycle' is now just a roller coaster. When I was pre menopause my periods were very regular, peri-menopause they just stopped, but now on HRT patches, I'm wondering whether to bother any more and drink myself into oblivion every evening to avoid the night sweats?
Cath xxx

Taz2

Re: HRT PATCHES AND IRREGULAR BLEEDING
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »

Are you using a conti HRT Cathypops?  If so these are known to cause irregular bleeding for the first few months. I had constant bleeding so when the first six months were up I gave up and went onto sequi patches which gave me a very short bleed once a month. At least I knew where I was then.

There should be an information leaflet with your patches which will give you the side effects you might suffer. I think that irregular and breakthrough bleeding is usually shown.

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »

If heavy bleeding is a problem it is sometimes good to consider having a Mirena fitted as this will reduce and usually stop all bleeding - you can then just add oestrogen in patch or gel form. DG x

Cathypops

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies. I don't know what some of it means but thank you anyway. I don't even think my GP would know, she's always looks at me with a vacant expression and I always want to get out ASAP!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »

Cathypops - if you tell us your age, where you are in your menopause and the name of the patches we can probably give you more advice and help.  Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up as many of us need to tell our GPs what we need and want.
ARe the patches sequi - so have some patches that are just oestrogen and some that have both oestrogen and progesterone or are they conti patches and all contain oestrogen and progesterone?  Dg x

Cathypops

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »

I have just researched and I don't think the Mirena is the way forward for me. Thank you for the advice though 😀. I have a bit of an uncomfortable feeling about having something alien inside me. Im not sure what to do? Maybe I'll have to go back to my GP?
She obviously has more problems than me, 'cos she looks at me as if I don't matter!

Cathypops

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 05:29:14 PM »

Oh yes of course, I am 50 years old and have been on HRT for about a year xxx

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »

Which HRT are you currently on?

Taz x

Cathypops

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 05:49:35 PM »

System Sequi that I slap on my bum twice a week. 4xSysten50 (3.2mg Estradiolum) then 4xSysten Conti ... I can't read the stuffed, it's all in a different language 😕

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 06:24:08 PM »

So you should get a controlled bleed once a month then.  As you have tried this HRT for more than the recommended three months I would go back to your doctor and ask for a different type. Can you remember which pill HRT you were on?

Taz x

Cathypops

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »

Can't remember I'm afraid, but it was similar to the patches, with two-weekly cycles of hormones.