Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and prozac script  (Read 2849 times)

jorainbow

Anxiety and prozac script
« on: August 06, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »

Last week I posted re oestradiaol pessary uptake and whether it was causing my anxiety increase and realised after lovely advice here and a chat with a GP it wasn't.  I have been to see the GP today after a week of anxiety whilst on holiday followed by a couple of good days then BAM weepy, mood swings, angry, irritable and anxious.  Tuesday was horrendous ( I think my personality ran off for the day and was replaced by Jekell & Hyde), Wed and today better but not brilliant.  It coincides with mid cycle as I am still getting regular periods and have ovulation pains.  I wrote a list of other odd symptoms (dizzy and odd wobbly sensation/palpitations/feeling spaced out when not eaten for a while) and a positives and negatives list for stresses etc. The plus far outweighs the minus which is why I was shocked at how low my mood was.  One massive factor is my eldest son has decided to stay in Oz for another year (and maybe permanently) which is fantastic for him but I am sad at the same time.  I have a fear of planes but had started looking into help for this with CBT or another type of therapy which would also I guess help with anxiety.  My GP was very impressed at my positivity but promptly prescribed me 20mg of Prozac. Does anyone use this for peri menopause symptoms? Is it OK?  Any advice welcome  :)

dazned

Re: Anxiety and prozac script
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:06:34 PM »

I know lots of people have very positive results with Prozac,like everything else what works for one etc.....
Why not try it ,it might take a few weeks to kick in but you have nothing to lose if it doesn't agree with you stop . Maybe ask Dr for a different one . Try some relaxation techniques maybe join a yoga class. You have to get your head around your sons
choice of location whilst not letting him know how you feel,not easy so you could do with some support at this time. Hope you get sorted soon.

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 05:17:26 PM »

Thanks dazned - I have a wonderful partner and family who are very supportive which is a big bonus.  Son#1 only told me a month ago and its sinking in slowly - I think I was in denial for a bit  :)  Its the most fantastic thing for him and of course he has no idea how I feel other than I miss him which is natural.  I have just started at the gym where I already go for swim/steam room and relax as often as I can but yoga is a great idea - I used to go and found it very beneficial. I think my hesitance with the Prozac is its a big step after a week of anxiety and 3 low days.

dazned

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 06:10:12 PM »

Anxiety is the pits ! I used to be the most confident person you could imagine then out of the blue like a gibbering wreck,my husband didn't know what to make of it as he'd never seen me like that. I really didn't want to take an AD as I kept saying I'm not depressed but now I know that ADs are used effectively for anxiety as well so Glad I did now. Great that you have family support that's half the problem solved .

Briony

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »

I have taken 20mg for sudden (severe) PMT in peri. I suddenly became someone I really disliked for a few days a month and asked for help for my partner's sake. At the time I didn't realise I was heading for the menopause (age 40). It did calm my monthly mood swings, but did nothing for the physical symptoms that appeared soon afterwards. That's when I realised it was more than just PMS and I moved to HRT, then the pill. From memory, it was easy to take - no side effects really  x

LeeJane

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:01:24 PM »

I am in peri and I take 40mg Prozac daily.  It has helped me a lot.

jorainbow

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:21:28 PM »

It sure is the pits!!! I had a depressive episode 11 years ago with more anxiety symptoms which I took effexor for and then I knew I needed help.  If that was a 10 how I'm feeling now is a 3 plus they were not easy to come off so maybe that's another subconscious reason for my hesitance. I'm glad it works if needed though. My least pms times were when I had no periods for a couple of years due to PCOS it was bliss! - hoping that's the case post menopause!!! Having a chat with my chap tomorrow but if needed I will take them 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »

Prozac made me  :steamed:  …….  :cuss: and is known to cause problems when patients try to stop taking it.  Short-term use will give you an idea as to whether an anti-depressant 'works' to ease symptoms.  It gave me other weird side effects, this was a drug which was put onto the market with 'no known side-effects'; as I left the Surgery I told my GP "I'll find some" and within 3 days, didn't dare take any more  :-\

I had NO problems weaning off Effexor once I realised that any withdrawal symptoms: similar to why I was taking the drug: lasted 24 hours - it took 9 weeks to stop them. I now swallow 5mg Escitalopram am and pm as well as 40mg Beta-blocka.

At least your GP is listening  :medal: