Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: First or favourite car  (Read 10076 times)

oldsheep

Re: First or favourite car
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »

my fav car was when we lived in France. I saw it through the showroom window in August - there are virtually NO cars for sale in France in holiday August. Had to have it. It was a little Twingo in a lovely blue, with Twingo letters on the upholstery. Huge boot and so cute to look at. (people smiled at it  ;D). I called her 'la T'. Drove her for miles and miles all over the country and brought her to London (with the 2 cats sleeping in a rabbit cage in the back), then back on holiday to France where she died on us......a latent defect, 1 year out of warranty. Renault didn't drill the cylinder head valve holes properly so they broke. We had to sell her for 1000 euros to the garage, or pay 3000 for a whole new engine (fighting Renault for a latent defect was just going to be a waste of time). Broke my heart.  I left a little charm hidden in her bodywork and I hope she was fixed up and sold to someone who is happy with her.
I learnt too that the problem with small cars out of warranty is that the labour charge for finding faults is so high as the whole engine has to be taken apart (eg to locate the cylinder head).

All the other cars I've driven are just 'cars'. Currently a Mini (newer version). It's a petrol alcoholic, 38mpg. And we seldom drive it in traffic. Corners beautifully and looks nice, but it is just a car. I kept the number plates from la T.

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »

I was very proud of my motor mechanic skills...my dear BIL taught me how to. Change plugs and points, do an oil change, fit a fan belt and change the distributor cap. I also gave it an under seal in bitumen stuff. I rubbed down and repaired sill too.
When I met hubby he was really into cars and did all his own repairs. We had a MK 11 Cortina, then a Ford Capri, then a vintage Rover, then a TR7, then a Porche. Then kids came along so we needed room for prams and dogs so it was years of estate cars.

Now it's a boring Aygo, but I have my eye on a Fiat 500.

Honeyb
X

Judith57

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 07:33:48 PM »

My first car was a Mini too, a racing green one and a previous owner had painted the roof white and two white stripes on the bonnet. I bought it in 1976 for £100 from the local paper. It was a D reg. It had sliding windows with moss growing in the grooves, and a string to pull to open the doors. I loved that car.

I recently exchanged my lovely Audi TT convertible for a black Mini Cooper S but regretted it almost straight away, I think I was thinking back to my nineteen year old self and how I would have loved a Mini Cooper S but it just didn't have the quality of the Audi.

I have had two cars since my husband died, the TT that used to be his (latterly exchanged for a Mini) and a Renault Clio that used to be our runaround, the Clio has been amazing so I thought I would get rid of both the cars, as I certainly don't need two, and buy a new Clio.

So three weeks ago off I went to the local Renault garage to get a new Clio and came out with a new Twingo! My partners daughter bought my mini, my Clio is going to my nephew who is learning to drive and I now just have the Twingo.

It is gorgeous, black with red details and mirrors, I have even bought it a special registration plate!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 11:00:23 PM »

There's loads of those Fiats down here  ::)

Don't get me started on Metros - DH had one for a few years and it felt like I was travelling in a greenhouse, the windows seem so low in the door  :o  - we both hated it but needs must: it had the habit of the boot lifting up, mysteriously, as we were travelling along ……… don't know which family had left their Ghost behind  ;D

Loved the elephant joke  8)

getting_old

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 12:18:24 AM »

Maybe my ghost??? I had a metro with the opening boot problem - supposedly it was fixed, but you never know  ;)
I was actually quite fond of it - had one as my first car.

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »

I had a Cuinquechento....can't spell that lol.

My son thought it looked like Postman Pats van  ;D. I hated it but it was ok for running kids around in.

When my son was taking his driving test the boot came open half way through. Don't know how that happened at all.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »

;D ………. a querk of the design maybe  ::)

SadLynda

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 11:28:46 AM »

remember the John Cleese bit with the tree and the car?

That was me with that damn metro and the boot, I had forgot about that >:(  Good job I dont have it now I would have set fire to it, I was more patient then ;D

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 12:33:43 PM »

Now it's a boring Aygo, but I have my eye on a Fiat 500.

Honeyb
X

I'm after one of those as well - they just look so cute  :)  We're going away in September for a fortnight and DH has swapped our hire-car for one so I can have a two-week test drive  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »

Good idea!

Judith - had forgotten about the string to open the doors  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 05:54:46 PM »

Our first car was a mini clubman in harvest gold.  We loved her, her name was caroline.  In the end she was sold for the deposit on our first house.

Our second car was a Datsun cherry which we had when our sons were small.

then we had a string of Renaults and now have a new VW Golf.

My own cars, when I had them, were a Citroen Saxo (shared with daughter), a Renault Clio (which went with daughter when she moved out) and I also had a Seat arosa for a while.

I prefer the smaller cars and my favourite was the Citroen Saxo.  Hubby's favourite is his new Golf which he bought last year.

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 07:30:03 PM »

My hubby sold a good car to buy me an engagement ring.....the ring is called the Cortina  ::)

Honeyb
X

Dulciana

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »

Now that's what I call love!

Cazikins

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »

My first & still favourite car:
Mark 1 Ford Cortina - & it had a furry dash board & gear stick too  :D :D.
It also had twin air horns, I use to cruise down at the beach with my friend in the passenger seat, blowing the horn at all the fellas walking along the prom. VERY CLASSY BIRD I WAS  8) 8)

Cazi x

babyjane

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 10:10:50 AM »

did anyone have furry dice in the windscreen?  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3