Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How Do Periods End For Ladies Not On HRT?  (Read 3916 times)

Machair

How Do Periods End For Ladies Not On HRT?
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »

Being 55, and still going through all this, I would like to know from ladies the other side who reached that magic 12 months what their final period pattern was like.

So many now are on HRT that it is difficult to find this out, as I guess it is often this wonky bleeding, as well as other symptoms that send us on that route. I am considering it myself!

So really I am wondering were they of normal duration, or did you have random spotting here and there in that final year? Also after that did you feel you were going to have another period at times, even after they had been absent for that final year.

I have reached 7 months again for the second time, but I am expecting a bleed any day or have been for weeks! Anyone with their last periods stories would be very gratefully received! I had one tiny little speck of dark yellow last week and thought "great it's starting" but nothing. May I had stellar PMT but no bleed. Still have sore nipples at times and stretchy mucus so must be making oestrogen. Can anyone shed light on their final period pattern?

Kathleen

Re: How Do Periods End For Ladies Not On HRT?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:14:12 AM »

Hello Machair.

I don't know how typical my story is but here goes. I will be 59 next month and my periods stopped five years ago. I hadn't been using HRT and didn't for the next three years so everything happened 'naturally'. My periods never faltered, remaining fairly heavy and regular until May 2010 when I missed one. The months went by with nothing and then in September I had a small bleed that quickly stopped and that was it, absolutely nothing since.
You'll see from this site that a lot of ladies experience a tailing off but mine just stopped suddenly and I never felt that another period was on it's way, plus my normal discharge gradually stopped as well. As far as I'm concerned my cycle fell off a cliff! 
Whatever happens to you I wish you and easy ride.

Take care.

K. 

Machair

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »

Thank you so much. That is very helpful. Can you explain what you mean by a small bleed, was it a day only? I think that might happen to me as I still feel hormonal but nothing is happening.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »

I didn't take HRT.  My periods began to become irattic, i.e. would miss several but didn't have any pre-menstrual symptoms.  My cycle had been 32/34 days between bleeds with LOTS of pain in my teens/20s until I went onto The Pill.  I was then sterilised followed by extreme PMT  :-\ and nausea.

The irratic bleeds lasted intermittently for 2 years with occasional brown blood shed occasionally, perhaps for 24 hours.  Then they went  :-* ………. but I didn't stop  carrying protection when we went away for 5 years  ;D

I can't remember what age I was ……. will need to find a paper and pen to work it out  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »

OK - I was born in 1953 and began irregular bleeds in 1999 …… so peri-menopause began 42/43 ? finally stopped in 2002.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:15:21 PM by CLKD »

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »

46? ;)

Machair

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:04:39 PM »

Thank you CLKD - so appreciated. :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »

My periods became erratic round about 51.( never that regular ) . I spotted in between, for which I had an ultrasound scan. All was well. My periods could be heavy and I had prolonged pmt beforehand. Gradually, my periods petered out. I didn't take HRT at the time.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 01:27:41 PM »

Hello again Machair.

I've checked my 2010 diary and I see that my September period was three days late and was 'only a speck'. I hope this helps you in your research lol.

Take care.

K.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:58:19 PM »

My periods became erratic at 46 yrs old with up to 6 months between but then I might spot and bleed for up to 8 weeks.
I had a year spell where all returned to normal :o and then I just got longer between. My periods finally stopped when I was 51 but I did have the going 10 months without a period then getting a very tiny 2 day bleed and having to start again.