Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: headaches any ideas  (Read 4369 times)

Sarai

headaches any ideas
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:36:24 PM »

I'm not on HRT, yet, may never pluck up courage who knows.
But I've been a headache/migraine sufferer all my life, due to a blood clotting condition. I am on blood thinners for it but my headaches which had been so mild for years are almost daily now and as I guess its hormonal I don't know what to do. paracetamol is useless but I'm not meant to have NSAIDS.
I'm using smelling salts a lot or 4head but don't know what else to do. My neck is bad and I see a chiro but my head feels like it did all my 20's and 30's before I got blood thinners.
Can anybody advise?

dazned

Re: headaches any ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »

Maybe it's a lot of tension,have you tried taking a long soak in bath of Epsom salts ,it really relaxing you and it can't hurt.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:02:02 PM by dazned »

bramble

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »

Hi Sarai. I have suffered from migraines for most of my life. What I have found that really works is a homeopathic remedy. If you go to a good homeopathic doctor, they should be able to help. Or try Jan de Vries website.

Bramble

SadLynda

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »

Hi Sarai
have you tried acupuncture? that is another option.  Not nhs though, one who has actually trained in india and has all the certs and many years experience behind him/her.

As someone suggested to me yesterday, you could also perhaps have a chat with your practice nurse about hrt and options available, no pressure just find out what your options are.  I am trying to do it the natural way so far, but open to alternatives in the future.

Sarai

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:22:05 PM »

Sadly sparkle I cant have sumatriptan as I already have an AD, one I am addicted too and cant get off, so as sumatriptan increases serotonin I'm not allowed it. Talk about feeling trapped. My blood thinners stand in the way of NSAIDS and my AD in the way of migraine treatment. And then my doc wanted to give me zopiclone for sleep when I asked for melatonin.
I despair how long I will be in this dreadful boat. Up to a this year which has been stress and illness filled i was so stable, happy and pretty well. What a shock its all been for me. And as I had a period a month ago after a 4 month gap I can imagine how much longer, as I'm 53 already.

Briony

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 05:55:48 PM »

Hi Sarai, since my headaches have nearly always been hormonal, I have found that HRT/the pill is the only thing that has really helped. However, I have friends who didn't want to go down the hormone route and have had good results from acupuncture. Could be worth a try? I know reflexology is meant to help headaches too, but I have no experience of this. If anyone else has, I'd be really interested to hear what they thought of it.

I also find that keeping well hydrated, eating regularly and avoiding red wine or citrus fruits before my period helps a lot.

Good luck x

dazned

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »

I've had/still got some zopiclone they are really good when you just need to get a good night sleep ,maybe getting some good sleep would help ?

Machair

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »

One glimmer of hope is that they may subside towards the end of the peri journey. I get migraine with Aura, and I had the worst one two years ago when I really thought my end was coming. It was the day before a period started. As my periods have got further apart they have really lessened, and I am not having them as often at all. What has been your longest gap period wise? Maybe you will find they get less as you go on. Really feel for you and hope you can find an answer. :)

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 09:52:07 AM »

Sarai - Perhaps Tramadol might help?
It's helped me a lot with Migraines, well, along with 400mg of Gabapentin a day.