Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes and sugar  (Read 3119 times)

hanging.on.in.there

Hot flushes and sugar
« on: August 03, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »

Ladies- an observation.  Going against my rebellious nature, I gave into the latest media focus on decreasing sugar intake, to 'see what happened'. So being me, I have cut it out pretty much completely, for 10 days so far  ( looking carefully at any factory- made foods) and the only thing I have noticed ( no real decrease in weight or change in energy levels etc)  is that I haven't had any hot flushes...................too good to be true !   have a go and let me know if anyone has a similar experience.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hot flushes and sugar
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 04:16:31 PM »

Oh interesting topic!

On a slight meander, I have stopped eating shop bought cakes, short-bread  :'(, muffins - haven't suffered with flushes but have found that by swapping to Fruesli bars my gut and bowels feel easier.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »

h.o.i.t I have reduced my sugar intake for some time due to strong family history of diabetes.  I though it might give me a fighting chance and I notice that when we are out or visiting and I indulge in cakes or biscuits or desserts my flushes return with a vengeance for about 48 hours.  I also get very thirsty with a dry mouth for the same time too so I have come to the conclusion that it really isn't very good for me at all.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:44:29 PM »

Interesting about the thirst ………. that's happened to me in recent years before I began avoiding shop bought cakes/pastries etc..

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 07:09:30 AM »

I cut out sugar at the beginning of last year, after being warned I was insulin resistant. I too have a strong family history of type 2 diabetes. This involved cutting down on foods with high carb content and natural sugars, only 2 pieces of fruit per day and with meals only. No snacking. I was slim-ish, BMI weight was fine, but I had no waist, tyre round middle, but narrow hips. Apparently, this put me at as great a risk of having diabetes as if I was obese. I lost weight, very quickly, 11/2sts within a few weeks and some menopausal symptoms were relieved, but I had started HRT. However, I developed gall stones, and I suspect the rapid weight loss a major contributing factor. Then I couldn't keep the weight on, so relaxed the low sugar regime. Now, having parted company with my gall bladder, I maintain my ideal weight by having some naughty treats, but overall keeping to a low sugar diet. I avoid buying sugar laden stuff. If it's there, I will eat it! Maybe gradually, cutting down is a better way to go, but I'm an all or nothing girl. 

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »

Thanks Ju Ju  :)