Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Uterogestan Vaginally - absorption issue  (Read 4091 times)

abbyH

Uterogestan Vaginally - absorption issue
« on: August 22, 2015, 08:10:48 AM »

HI there, hope this hasn't been answered before.

I was talking to some other women online who take HRT and they expressed concern about using Uterogestan vaginally saying that absorption this way would give you a higher dose than was recommended.. i.e taking it orally (100mg) will only give you a certain level of progesterone and taking it vaginally gives you a nearly 100% dose...I find this a bit hard to understand, why wouldn't you want the 100% ?

I also read concerns about the other ingredients in the capsule (soy bean?) and how safe they were to put inside you.

Any comments? or proper advice, as I felt this was not totally right!

Abby

Cassie

Re: Uterogestan Vaginally - absorption issue
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »

Ive been using it that way for over 10 yrs never had a problem I guess one could be allergic to some of the other ingredients but you would then have itching etc.
I think its better using it vaginally it gets directly to where it needs to go without bypassing the liver, stomach etc...and I dont think the dose is too high, its offering a protective function, I wouldnt be too concerned.

abbyH

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »

Thank you, yes I think its a bit confusing. Im on the 25 out of 28 days using 100mg a day.. Could I do it for 12-14 days using 100mg? or would I have to use the 200mg if only using it for that part of the month?

I'm doing a trial and error thing, so far on day 17, all ok (apart from increased boob size!)

Abby

Briony

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »

Hi AbbyH

Interested to know whether you're taking the Utro 100mg and still having periods? I ask because when I took 200mg for 12 days, I felt great, but had a ten day dip afterwards - headache and tears. My doc wouldn't let me take it continuously as I am in my 40s and have regular periods.

I wouldn't worry too much about the effects of taking Utro vaginally - if there was a problem, it wouldn't be licensed to be used vaginally for fertility treatment, surely? Also, I assume people on the Progesterone only pill are taking a bigger dose? I felt happier taking it as it was bio identical - now on the pill with a synthetic progesterone and feel more uneasy about that.

x

abbyH

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 11:26:07 PM »

If you're going to use it for 12 days per month you would need to use the 200mg dose and you will have a withdrawal bleed.

If you've reached day 17 and are feeling ok apart from increased boob size, I'd say you're doing fine. The unpleasant side effects I experience are pretty much immediate ... I would never manage 17 days. If you're keen not to have a bleed I would be inclined to stick with the current regime for a few months and see how things work out.

I am keen not to have a bleed, but how do i do that? just take it continually??
not sure Im allowed to...
but thanks, yes feel fine and boobs are going down a bit I think

Abby x

abbyH

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 11:28:23 PM »

Hi AbbyH

Interested to know whether you're taking the Utro 100mg and still having periods? I ask because when I took 200mg for 12 days, I felt great, but had a ten day dip afterwards - headache and tears. My doc wouldn't let me take it continuously as I am in my 40s and have regular periods.

I wouldn't worry too much about the effects of taking Utro vaginally - if there was a problem, it wouldn't be licensed to be used vaginally for fertility treatment, surely? Also, I assume people on the Progesterone only pill are taking a bigger dose? I felt happier taking it as it was bio identical - now on the pill with a synthetic progesterone and feel more uneasy about that.

x

Yes I'm peri and still having periods - and yes I thought that as its licensed it must be fine.. I think the issue was how much you're absorbing vaginally vs orally...

I am doing 25 out of 28 on both oestrogel and Utrogestan and then will have a bleed.. if that regime works I guess I'll stick with it but would like not to have periods every month... :(  as have been quite anaemic in the past and want to give myself a chance to build iron back up

Abby Hx

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »

Hell abbyH.

When I used Utrogestan vaginally a pharmacist expressed concern that the environment in the vagina would be unable to break down a tablet that was designed to be taken orally and encounter stomach acid.
I think some ladies use Utrogestan suppositories that are made for vaginal use but I think others use the oral tablet as I was doing.

Shortly after this conversation I switched to patches but I am sure other ladies will have some information for you.

Take care.

K.

Briony

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »

x

Yes I'm peri and still having periods - and yes I thought that as its licensed it must be fine.. I think the issue was how much you're absorbing vaginally vs orally...

I am doing 25 out of 28 on both oestrogel and Utrogestan and then will have a bleed.. if that regime works I guess I'll stick with it but would like not to have periods every month... :(  as have been quite anaemic in the past and want to give myself a chance to build iron back up

Abby Hx

[/quote]

Given that you're in the same situation as me, GypsyRoseLee, Pepperminty etc, you might be interested in a thread GRL started on moving to the pill from HRT. One of the reasons I moved to Qlaira (a new very low dose BCP) was that it massively reduces bleeds (I now dont get one at all) despite still having bio identical estrogen. The progesterone is synthetic and only taken for parts of the month.  It's a very personal choice - some love it, some hate taking the pill - but this just might be of interest if you're still having periods which you want to reduce/eliminate:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28798.0.html

http://www.avongpeducation.co.uk/handouts/2012/youngpersons/The%20pill%20ladder.pdf

NB: Rigevidon®, Ovranette® and Microgynon 30® are interchangeable
Millinette® 30/75, Katya 30/75® and Femodene® are interchangeable
Gedarel® 30/150 and Marevelon® are interchangeable  (Taken from NHS Scotland).

See notes on pill and other treatments for PMS?Fluctuating hormones: http://www.pms.org.uk/assets/files/guidelinesfinal60210.pdf

Briony

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »

As far as I'm aware there's only one type of Utrogestan capsule.  Years back when I started using them I used to get them in 200mg strength, now they are only given in the 100mg strength as part of HRT, so you need to take two if used 12 days a month. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with vaginal use so not sure what your pharmacist was talking about K.

I agree Stella. If there were problems, surely they wouldn't be allowed for fertility treatment (when they are licensed to be used vaginally). My GP acknowledged they were the same tablet, regardless of route, and knew my intentions, but couldn't actually prescribe it vaginally, if you see what I mean  ::)
The only thing I'd add is that some ladies who are prone to bladder/vaginal infections do say taking it vaginally can aggravate matters. B x

abbyH

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 11:58:58 AM »

Because you are in perimenopause your doctor will have prescribed a sequential HRT that allows for a monthly bleed.

Although some women do in fact find they don't have a bleed on the 25 days per month regime, taking the three day break allows your body to have one if it needs to.

The totally bleed free regimes are designed for women who are post-menopause (ie no period for at least 12 months). If you take a look through the green menus on the site you'll see details of the different preparations and the ages/stages they're suitable for.

Age/stage is important and it can sometimes get confusing if you read a post on here and think "I could do that" without knowing the age/stage of the woman writing it ... something we all need to be aware of and careful about I think.

Thanks StellaJane, will see how this month goes with the bleed and its length/duration... Last period was much better, only 5 days and not so heavy...

abbyH

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 11:59:46 AM »

x

Abby Hx

Given that you're in the same situation as me, GypsyRoseLee, Pepperminty etc, you might be interested in a thread GRL started on moving to the pill from HRT. One of the reasons I moved to Qlaira (a new very low dose BCP) was that it massively reduces bleeds (I now dont get one at all) despite still having bio identical estrogen. The progesterone is synthetic and only taken for parts of the month.  It's a very personal choice - some love it, some hate taking the pill - but this just might be of interest if you're still having periods which you want to reduce/eliminate:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28798.0.html

http://www.avongpeducation.co.uk/handouts/2012/youngpersons/The%20pill%20ladder.pdf

NB: Rigevidon®, Ovranette® and Microgynon 30® are interchangeable
Millinette® 30/75, Katya 30/75® and Femodene® are interchangeable
Gedarel® 30/150 and Marevelon® are interchangeable  (Taken from NHS Scotland).

See notes on pill and other treatments for PMS?Fluctuating hormones: http://www.pms.org.uk/assets/files/guidelinesfinal60210.pdf
[/quote]

Thanks I'm having a look at that thread right now..
Abby