Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Bio identical HRT  (Read 3889 times)

charliegirl

Bio identical HRT
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »

Hi all, does anyone use these hormones, and can you get them from your GP on prescription. Thanks Charliiegirl.

Cassie

Re: Bio identical HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »

Bio identical HRT always seems to cause a bit of confusion I am no expert so hopefully someone will be along soon, are you referring to the compounded creams etc that some pharmacies make up, as far as I know, those are not considered safe to use as they are not really strong enough (according to my gynae) but many of us on this forum are on HRT that is also bio identical as in the gels, patches and the progesterone (Utrogestan) and yes these are available on prescription.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:16:18 AM »

Hi
I am on what is considered bio/body identical HRT - Oestrogel and Utrogestan in a sequential regime and this is prescribed through my GP.  GPs may not always know or understand the difference between the various HRTs on offer so you often have to print stuff off from this site to show them what you want - the old fashioned types of HRT like Prempak C or Premique have non bio identical hormones, however, most of the newer HRTs now have bio identical oestrogen alongside a synthetic progesterone.
Utrogestan is the only bio identical progesterone and has to be taken separately to oestrogen in pill, patch or gel form. If you live in the USA then Utrogestan is called Prometrium.
Do look at the 'HRT Preparations section' under TREATMENTS above to find out more.  DG x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »

Hello charliegirl.

When I asked for Utrogestan my GP was unable to find it in her prescribing book, luckily I knew from this site that it is listed as Micronised Progesterone and so I was able to give it a whirl lol.

Wishing you well and I hope you find the right regime for you.
Take care.

K.

charliegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »

Thanks guys?

Sarai

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »

Some kind person told me on here, sorry I cant remember who that you can use utrogestan as a pessary, sounds good to me, but I'm wondering if the gp's will agree to that?

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:14:53 PM »

Sarai, I don't know about GPs but I do know that Professor Studd and others agree with it.  I use them vaginally and it does lessen the side effects if you are progesterone intolerant.  It's not perfect but in my experience, there is no breast pain or digestive problems and it seems to work much better.  It says in the instructions that you can use them either orally or vaginally.  Hope that helps.

Sarai

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »

Mary G thats good to know. I'm pretty scared of all medications after some bad experiences so the idea of not swallowing a pill appeals to me. how would I know if I was progesterone intolerant?

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 07:15:20 PM »

Using them vaginally is the way to go way less side effects and they go directly to the uterine lining where they are supposed to be, to put it simply....

Briony

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 07:26:34 PM »

GPs unlikely to agree about using it as a pessary as it's not licensed for HRT this way (think it's licensed for other , non HRT uses, as a pessary). Either way, as a number of ladies on here told me when I was in your situation, it's the same tablet either way in, so you just need to keep quiet and not say what your intentions are  ::)

I used it vaginally and, despite initial concerns (I only need to read side effects and I can imagine I have them) taking it was fine. No different than putting in a tampon. First day I felt a bit tired the following morning, but nothing worse. Only reason I stopped this regime was that my body disliked the progesterone withdrawal. On Utrogestan I felt great - but had a big dip when I stopped it. If I could have taken it continuously, I would have done. The bio identical progesterone was so much more pleasant than my experiences long ago on the POP.

Good luck