Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Motorbike lessons  (Read 9467 times)

babypink2807

Motorbike lessons
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:20:56 AM »

Having hit 50 on Tuesday which I still can't believe, at the beginning of the year I thought I would do a few things for my 50 this year.  One was revisiting something that I did as a teenager.  I used to have a motorbike to get me to work and though I'm going to look into taking my test

What a minefield it is, however I did book a lesson to see how I got on, nerves got the better of me but the adrenalin took over and I loved it.  Same day took my CBT and passed, had two further lessons one on a tiny road trip to Otley and Ilkley and even got to 62mph I was laughing my head off it was great. Two weeks ago they put me on a 650 and it looked and felt heavy.  Nerves kicked in again but after about 15 mins I got the hang of it.  Out I went for three hours and it was awesome, proper gave it some welly.

Tomorrow, I have a Module 1 training day preparing for my Mod 1 test, which I am and am not looking forward to, but I won't give up until I pass.  Then it's on to the Mod 2 which is out on the road

My target is to take a bike next year to the IOM for a week

I realised that it's me that has to do things to make things happen, after ending a toxic relationship a year ago I have a whole new lease of life, and find that I can deal with the bad bits better.  But honestly if anyone is scratching their head to do something different, motorbike lessons are the thing!

Ju Ju

Re: Motorbike lessons
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:03:21 AM »

Well done! Not something I have yearned to do, but my DH and son would salute you. I spent many hours on the back of motor bikes, and tend to fall asleep! For me, once I retired, I decided to learn to sing and take singing grades. Now working towards grade 4. The joy of making pleasing sounds!

babypink2807

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »

that does sound really great, i think its the sense of achievement to be fair

I fancy learning the Lindy Hop!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »

Sounds brilliant blossom! Is it very expensive to learn?

Taz x  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »

I had a Honda50 for several years  ::) ………. but never fancied anything larger.

babypink2807

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 06:23:21 AM »

Hi Taz

To be fair yes it's expensive, but I am taking my time because of the risk element. Day one including my CBT which was a whole full day was £125. Next lesson was 5 hrs and was £100. I then had a 1hr lesson n the bigger bike £25. Then last lesson £40 for 3hrs on the big bike

My next is Module 1 which is a whole day plus my test fee works out at £200

All together you can do it over 5 days which was mentally and physically too much is £500 but that includes test fees. Theory test £25

It's a bit of a money spinner I think but rules are rules

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 01:58:24 PM »

I can just see your wee dog's head poking out of your black leathers  ;D

bramble

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 03:20:19 PM »

;D ;D ;D

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »

I had a 125 when I was 17/18 but it was very heavy to hold especially on wet or icy roads.  I did a 65 mile road trip by myself on it though before I gave it up.

Very best of luck, and to you too with the singing Ju Ju  :)

babypink2807

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 08:38:47 PM »

I did my training day today.  5hrs and I'm shattered.  Morning was speed control, which was great as we had to get up to 32mph in second gear and do a controlled stop, an emergency stop and an avoidance stop.  That last one was tricky

Back at the compound it was the slow control.  Just as we were about to start the heavens opened, and try, as we might to do the slalom, and figure of 8' and U turn it absolutely slung it down, to the point we were soaked, the cones were floating about, we gave up in the end

Got home and realised my hands were bright purple, the dye had turned my hands purple.  I looked like I had wet myself and my boots were just drenched

Dare I say though good fun

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 08:41:22 PM »

It's great you are doing something completely different...wish I had your courage.

I don't like motor bikes...my cousin died riding one so they have never been my favourite.

Hubby however had trials bikes for years but I eventually convinced him he was too old for that nonsense  ::)

Honeyb
X

babypink2807

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »

Besides the issues I am dealing with in this last week, I was dreading my Module 1 test, which was Friday.  Woke up not feeling great, head fog, nausea, nerves shot and plenty of trips to the toilet.  Got to the school, picked the bike up and off to the test centre.  I was on a different bike to what I was learning on which unnerved me a bit.  Little pockets of doubts came over me as did a lot of nausea

We arrived and the other lady I was with, was in front of me, went to park her bike and fell off it, I was mortified.  She was ok, dusted herself off and in we went.  She was first going well then kicked a cone over, immediate fail.

So my turn, popped a mint in my mouth started chuntering to myself and trying to focus like mad on the next 15-20 mins.  Did my parking, slalom, figure of 8' controlled stop, emergency stop and avoidance stop, slow ride.    Out of the compound, into office "you have passed". OMG it was unbelievable honest I was dumb struck.  I could not let go of the examiners hand.  Now for Module 2

A great end to a tough week

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 08:11:53 PM »

Well done Blossom.

:cancan:

bramble

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 08:31:58 PM »

Well done Blossom. It is great to hear you are getting on with your life and more.

Bramble

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 08:47:27 PM »

Well done you! Not something I could ever do mind you, scared stiff of motor bikes. Keep it up & you will achieve your goal!
Pages: [1] 2