Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Moving onto the Pill. Feeling nervous.  (Read 3529 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Moving onto the Pill. Feeling nervous.
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:32:32 AM »

Have just seen my GP. Explained that after nearly 4 months on HRT my mood swings are still extreme, and seem to have no real pattern. I just seem to enjoy a good fortnight followed by at least 10 days of feeling very low and anxious again, unable to take any pleasure in anything.

I mooted trying the Pill as I felt my own hormones were still managing to overide the HRT for a good chunk of each month. I mentioned Qlaira but he hasn't heard of it and was very dubious because it is quite new. Aaarrgh!

When I mentioned that my mood swings don't seem particularly tied into my menstrual cycle he wanted to add an AD into my medication! He said my mood 'should' tie in with my HRT cycle so there was probably another cause for my low moods? This was despite me saying I always seem to get a very good 2 weeks every month or so.

I said I felt my own cycle was over riding the HRT at times but he seemed skeptical.

Anyway he finally agreed to let me try the Pill for 3 months but clearly didn't think it was going to help me  as much as ADs would  :-\

So, I now have 3 months supply of Rigevidon. But feel quite nervous about it, I must say.

peegeetip

Re: Moving onto the Pill. Feeling nervous.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »

The option you mention is better as its closer to hrt.

the only thing about Qlaira is it cost more. Its the same estro part and better prog option.

Rigevidon is an earlier contraceptive as doc's are reluctant to prescribe newer more expensive 3rd and 4th generation prog options. Some think there is an increased risk of clots from 3rd Gen prog but I've never seen any results to give that.

Its much cheaper too :)

From wikipedia a quick quote on the types out there. The one you've been give is second generation. Qlaira is 4th Gen prog.

First: ethisterone, norethindrone, norethindrone acetate, norethynodrel, ethynodiol diacetate, medroxyprogesterone acetate, megestrol acetate
Second: norgestrel, levonorgestrel
Third: norgestimate, norelgestromin, desogestrel, etonogestrel, gestodene
Fourth: dienogest, drospirenone, elcometrine, nomegestrol acetate, trimegestone

Qlaira would definately be a better stepping stone for you.

:-*

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »

The problems I had on the pill in the latter years (femodene - third generation)  were headaches during the week off.  This was oestrogen withdrawal and could be prevented by never getting thirsty and keeping water by you at all times. (In hindsight, this was a problem in my 20s with another sort of pill, but I did not realise.  It was one of the things that became more pronounced during the last 4 years).  Qlaira as a shorter time with no pills and this should be less of a problem. 

I also had to rush to the loo fast during the week off. (which was frequent  ;D)

Forewarned is forearmed - drink plenty and if you get a headache nurophen plus works (ibuprofen + codeine). It is not the beginnings of migraine.

Otherwise, I was fine on the pill, but I did have problems which I now have vagifem for, and it did not prevent that.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:29 AM »

I think he prescribed it me because it's very similar to the brand if Pill I was on about 12 years ago. I am happy to deal with any physical side effects so long as it's better at controlling these extreme hormonal mood swings I am still getting.

I have just endured 10 days of feeling so horribly low and depressed. But before that felt on top of the world for 2 weeks. It's too much of a rollercoaster for me it really is.

I know that Qlaira better mimics your own cycle but the oestrogen in it is lower than regular BCPs, and I think I need some pretty heavy duty oestrogen for the time bring.

My GP said I can start taking it right away even though I am mid cycle as I don't need it for contraception ( have the coil).

But wondering whether to wait until first day if my withdraw bleed? But I only have about 8 days worth of Utro so would need to get another script for some more as I take it for 12 days.

Any advice would be welcome.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »

Does this mean you will be using three types of prog?  :-\  the utro, the coil and the BCP?

Taz x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 06:51:41 PM »

No. I have the old fashioned coil and I will stop taking Utro and wearing the patches.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »

Is your pill oestrogen only then or a combined one.....because if it's not then Taz is spot on, you are doubling up on progesterone.

I don't remember you saying before that you had the coil.

Could that have contributed to your HRT problems....way too much progesterone.  :o

Honeyb
X

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »

Hi Honeybun

There's no progesterone in my coil. It's not the Mirena. I have the old fashioned copper IUD.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »

Ahhh, question answered.

Good luck with your new regime.

Let us know how it goes.

Honeyb
X

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 08:19:34 PM »

Thanks Honeybun I will. I am undecided when to start the Pill. After 10 days my mood is starting to lift (right on schedule, it usually lasts about 10 days) and I'm starting to feel better and brighter.

We go on holiday this weekend and I'm wondering whether to hold off, enjoy the holiday (assuming I now get my regular good 10-14 days then start the Pill after we get back?

I'm worried to start the Pill and risk getting any side effects while on holiday. I can't decide. I wish I had a crystal ball.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »

It's holiday time.....going anywhere nice?.

If you start to feel better then hold off if you can. Side effects....although you may not get any....are easier dealt with at home.

Enjoy your break.

Honeyb
X