Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Argh - I really hate where I live!  (Read 11450 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Argh - I really hate where I live!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 05:27:57 PM »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Limpy

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 05:33:35 PM »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Hmm yes - Did he say this before or after the broken glass was thrust into his face?
It happens

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »

Did that happen :-\ …… it was a statement after World War II if I remember correctly ……..

I digress  ::)

We had one set of 'strange' neighbours but they moved after a couple of years and we were able to avoid them most of the while.  There are strange neighbours further down so we don't need to engage and if we have to they are OK with us.

getting_old

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »

DH is OK with moving but is leaving the search up to me. The problem is lack of availability - I search regularly, even drive around looking for rental signs. Every so often he suggests buying but that's just too permanent and would make escaping more difficult.
In the meantime I'm just going to try to organise as many trips away as possible.....

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »

Is there a 'mobile' park in your area?  Costs aren't as much as buying a house/flat.  Some though are for 11 month's occupation so you would have to rent elsewhere for that month.

Do you have your name on Letting Agents' lists? 

Limpy

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »

Did that happen :-\ …… it was a statement after World War II if I remember correctly ……..

Gosh CLKD I thought you made the statement because you felt it had some relevance to domestic violence  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »

[It is relevant to any situation where people stand back and do nowt  ;) ………… ]

I find that I am more aware of neighbours than DH is - he is generally pretty laid back and we have long heated discussions about things that I believe are important and that he can't give a toss about.  It wouldn't cross his mind to even notice what the neighbours are up to  ::): i.e. when that particular neighbour leaves the engine running on the Landrover for an hour each morning in the Winter  :bang:

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 06:15:49 PM »

Sometimes, as I have discovered to my cost, the best thing to do is to do nothing at all.

What goes on behind other people's closed doors is their business.
If I am asked for help then that would be a different story......but up until that point it's nothing to do with me.
You are just asking for trouble getting involved, with either troubles between a husband and wife, or people running engines, or anything really.
Different people have strange way of having a relationship.....scream shout...throw things and then make up.

Nowt to do with me....ever.

Honeyb
X

babyjane

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »

I agree with honeybun but I have found it difficult.  Due to my troubled background I have a tendency to try to be a mrs fix it but others don't appreciate it.  They see it as interfering and being a control freak so I am trying to step back from things now.

Ju Ju

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »

You can't help people, who don't want to be helped. Nor can you fix things for people even if they want you to. They have to fix things for themselves, but you can support them. For example, I have relatives who paid off their son's debts with money they could I'll afford to lose. Their son created yet more debt. Had they supported him paying off his debts gradually, so he felt the pain, he would have learnt a useful lesson sooner rather than later and avoid straining his relationship with his parents.

As to dealing with difficult neighbours, do your homework. Decide what outcome you want. It is easy to react to your feelings, rush off and confront people, but you rarely get the outcome you want. I've been prevented by my DH from rushing out and confronting people. In his previous life, as a police officer, he dealt with many situations between neighbours that have escalated. I know how I feel when people go off at me, even if they have reason to. They do not achieve my cooperation. But when I am told I am appreciated, but there is a problem which could easily be resolved, I have no problem in responding positively. Sometimes it is best to do nothing at all and see how important what has happened is to you later when you feel calm.

For getting old, moving may be the only option, but not a quick or easy solution. Are there any neighbours you would like to get to know better? It may help ease things if there are friends close by.

getting_old

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 06:28:34 PM »

I think women tend to be more aware of things going on around them compared to men. OH usually settles much quicker than I do, and doesn't notice a lot of things which bother me.

Sometimes, as I have discovered to my cost, the best thing to do is to do nothing at all.

What goes on behind other people's closed doors is their business.
Over the years I've worked with people whose lives have been more eventful than a soap opera and they've tried to involve everyone around them but you only ever get their side of the story so I've learnt to keep a distance.

For getting old, moving may be the only option, but not a quick or easy solution. Are there any neighbours you would like to get to know better? It may help ease things if there are friends close by.
I haven't found any so far  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 09:06:26 AM »

I have relatives who paid off their son's debts with money they could I'll afford to lose. Their son created yet more debt. Had they supported him paying off his debts gradually, so he felt the pain, he would have learnt a useful lesson sooner rather than later and avoid straining his relationship with his parents.

I so totally agree with this ^

many years ago our eldest son got into financial difficulty and ended up with debt.  My mother and I paid off 50% of it to bring it down to a manageable level where he wasn't drowning in it but he had to clear the rest himself or he would not have learned anything.  It took him 12 months but he did it.

Ju Ju

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 09:54:16 AM »

Yes, we want to 'fix' things for our loved ones, but often the best way is to support them fixing things for themselves. Then they become stronger and learn from experience.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 03:10:41 PM »

Mum fixes my sister's problems …… so she has never learned how to save  :-\ ……… me, I'm a hoarder  ;)

For the first time in ages our Estate is quiet ……..  :o

getting_old

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 11:22:44 PM »

Well, I'm not sure it's what you'd call a solution, but we've just bought a holiday home. We didn't want to invest locally but this way we have somewhere to call our own several hours drive away that we can escape to for long weekends etc.  :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:35:49 AM by getting_old »
Pages: 1 [2] 3