Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Embarrassing yet very funny  (Read 7267 times)

Dancinggirl

Embarrassing yet very funny
« on: August 08, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »

We are very fortunate and live in a seaside village on the Suffolk coast.  This is very dog friendly area - dogs are welcome in pubs and shops so we seldom worry about keeping your dog away from people.
We took our very friendly border terrier for a walk today and decided to take him on the beach. We walked through the reed beds to arrive at the beach away from most of the tourists that are by the car parks. Our do loves chasing stones into the sea and was having a lovely time.  We came upon a group of people sitting on the beach and as usual he ran up to greet them expecting some fuss - he is used to people giving him lots of attention -  but they ignored him completely. One man in this group in a dark green t-shirt was sitting very still, so our dog sniffed him and then cocked his leg and did a pee on his back!!!!!!! He has never done anything like this before - I was mortified and apologised profusely. I think his girlfriend/wife was mildly amused but he was extremely cross - I suspected he was already in rather a bad mood before this had happened.  There was nothing I could do really  - I offered to wash it down in the sea but one of the group told him to remove his top and went to wash it in the sea for him.
My husband and I rounded our terrier up and beat a hasty retreat back through the marshes. I think our dog has made his feelings about tourists who don't give him love and fuss, very clear.
Jane x

Dyan

Re: Embarrassing yet very funny
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »

Oh dear! But funny never the less ;D

Dulciana

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »

Help!  Yes, that must have been right up there on the embarrassment stakes, DG. 

:scottie: 

dazned

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:14:16 PM »

;D however I would have been mortified !

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »

I would have pretended he was not mine  ;D

My dog is also very naughty. Years ago on the beach she was on an extending lead but I wasn't paying any attention. When I heard outraged voices I realised she was snaffling someone's picnic.
I gave them money to buy the kids ice cream and beat a hasty retreat.

I would have pretended she wasn't mine but I was holding the lead.

Honeyb
X

getting_old

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »

Our previous dog would try to pee on us if we took him on a pebbly beach - it was his way of saying get me off here NOW! I noticed in time, DH wasn't so observant  ;D
and he was fine on sandy beaches.

SadLynda

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »

;D ;D Made me laugh.

Many years ago we lost our (now late) Greyhound over the sandhills, after 20 mins of calling 'Dave' which was embarrasing enough as everyone thought I was calling my husband, the husband found him... he was sat with a family sharing their picnic, they were so impressed at how well behaved he was he was made quite welcome as he sat there like he owned the place.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »

Retrievers are up there with the biggest food pinchers.

Mine learned early on that she could reach work tops if she stood on her back legs. I lost quite a lot of food that way including roast chickens and beef.
Her favourite trick was to lick random children's ice cream cones. I would turn my back for a minute and off she would go again. I loved that dog  ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »

DG - does he still have his balls?  or did the bloke smell 'funny'  ;D

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »

CKLD  - My dog is neutered so I doubt the smell would have been too bad. We are dining out on the story at the moment and most people applaud our dogs opinion on people who are not dog friendly. If you the man had given him a bit of fuss he wouldn't have peed on him I'm sure.

I love some of the stories you have all told about what your dogs have got up to.  My previous dog once nicked some sausages off a plate on the beach and another time he craftily grabbed a voulevant from a plate on the coffee table in front of us all - this made us really laugh as he had walked round and round the table pretending to sniff other things and waited until we were all distracted and this showed real intelligence. 
My sister's dog once jumped up on the back of the sofa and cocked his leg over my mothers neck and shoulders.
Dogs and children can really show us up sometimes but we wouldn't be without them.
DG x

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »

Have to say, dogs are a lot less trouble than kids  ;D

Oh and kids pee on you too.....specially baby boys  ::)

Honeybun
X

Dulciana

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »

When I was in my teens, we had a corgi and a black labrador.  They got on pretty well, despite the height difference.  In fact, they got on so well that they developed a double act between them and used this to their own advantage.  Behind out house was a bungalow.  One nice, sunny Sunday in early autumn, the dogs were nowhere to be seen.   My mother went all over the place, calling their names. Nothing.  Then, up the lane, just next to the bungalow's gate, the two dogs appeared looking very, very sheepish.  They slunk towards her, both licking their lips and the labrador trying his very best to crawl along on his stomach.  They looked so guilty!   Apparently, the owners of the bungalow had opened a window.  It was about lunch time and they had put a freshly-roast chicken on this window-sill, to cool down.  Good place on a warm day - why not?   Well, there were two greedy dogs around, that's why not!  The labrador had used his height to grab the chicken off the window-sill and they both used their combined talents to gobble up the whole chicken between them.  No chicken for the good folk in the bungalow that day!  Mum felt really embarrassed about the whole thing, but she did find the sight of the labrador crawling past her with his stomach almost flat on the ground, averting his eyes, something to laugh about for a long time after.   

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »

Nothing quite like the look of a guilty dog  ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »

;D  ……….  some look guilty before they have done anything  ::) ………..