Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AD's for hot flushes  (Read 7057 times)

lily

Re: AD's for hot flushes
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 06:41:30 PM »

Hi ladies
4 weeks now and no benefit yet. Hut ditty, I went to Dr for hrt but she wanted me to try AD's first for 6-8 weeks. Think I will be going back to ask for hrt. Can cope during day, but night sweats are awful and really affecting my sleep.

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »

Hut ditty? Love the autocorrect!  ;D  Sorry to hear about your doc lily - why did she prescribe ADs instead of HRT?  Is there a medical reason why you cannot take HRT. If not, yet another example of someone being failed by the medical profession! The new (draft) NICE guidelines on menopause are fortunately designed to stop this sort of thing ie to recommend GPs do not give ADs as first line of treatment for menopause/hormonal symptoms.

If there is anything you need to ask about HRT then we can try to help.... :)

Hurdity x

lily

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »

Sorry hurdity, should take time to check before posting!

She said that they only prescribe hrt for 2 years and that's often not long enough, so same symptoms return. The flushes & night sweats are my only major symptoms so she said many women get relief from ad's. No reason for me not to get hrt and she said she was not saying no but thought I should try ad's first. Thanks for offering help re hrt questions, I'm sure I will have questions.

GeordieGirl

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 09:43:02 PM »

Jeez, why do doctors fear HRT and then grab something that is worse and with none of the benefits? Sigh.

As per Hurdity's post, it's worth digging out the recommendations for NICE and giving them to your doc. And if she insists on loading you up with ADs instead of hormones, ask to be referred to a meno clinic.

GG x

lily

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »

Thanks Geordiegirl, strange thing is I am sure she is older than me - she must not have had it bad!

lily

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »

Coming up for 6 weeks now on ad's and still not helping flushes or night sweats 😔 have had a horrible metallic taste in my mouth with them too. Had gone 4 months without a period, my longest so far but started to bleed the other day - not much now though so think my body is having a tough time producing a period now. Fed up being tired all the time due to disrupted sleep with night sweats and from what I have read, hrt takes 3 months or so to work. Hoping to see Dr this week or next. Is there any form of hrt that works quicker than another?

Joyce

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 08:21:27 PM »

Any chance you're on Amitriptyline lily? I was on a while ago for something different. Gave me horrid metallic taste.

lily

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 09:28:40 PM »

Hi cubagirl
No, it's fluoxetine I'm on. I take it in the morning, wondering if taking it at night would be better for night sweats?

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 09:42:55 PM »

Might be worth a try but the more I read the less I believe in ADs for flushes. My GP wants me to use instead of HRT. I'm on 10 mg Citalopram for anxiety & it's keeping that at bay.  My mum was on ADs during her meno years. HRT may have helped her, if she'd been offered it.

HRT kicked in for me after about 4 weeks. We're all different.

dazned

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »

Citlopram I think is the AD they recommend for flushes I believe Lily not heard of fluoxetine helping in that department before. Let us know how it goes.

lily

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 05:42:58 PM »

I'm quite undecided what to do, my dr is on holiday so 3 weeks until my next appointment. Sometimes I feel like I can cope with the night sweats and flushes at the moment so don't want to go on hrt just now. I've been sleeping a lot better lately, not sure if that's the ad's helping or not and don't want to stay on them if they are not helping me - suppose I would not know until I maybe try coming off them. Will see if Dr wants me to try just taking them every other day to cut them down and see what happens then.
Pages: 1 [2]