Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleeding  (Read 4254 times)

Shaon1978

Bleeding
« on: July 26, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »

I need some advice
I am on hrt but recently been bleeding but it's only when I wipe after urinating and get a bit of stomach ache.

Does this sound normal?

Sharon x

Dancinggirl

Re: Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 04:43:29 PM »

Hi Shoan1978
What HRT are you taking? How long have you been using this HRT? DG x

Shaon1978

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:06:11 PM »

I am taking premique low dose slow release.
Been on the, for roughly 4 months now x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 05:59:35 PM »

Hi Sharon - how far post meno are you - i.e. when was your last natural period?

Taz x

Shaon1978

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 06:03:44 PM »

My last proper period was last August x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »

Hi Shaon1978
We need a bit more info - how old are you? Why were you given a continuous HRT preparation when your periods had only recently stopped? It's often better to start with a sequential HRT to see how it suits you before moving onto a conti version.  It is very normal to get some spotting with a conti HRT in the first 6 months while the body adjusts to the hormones - so this bit of bleeding is quite normal. If you get spotting or bleeding after 6 months then this should be investigated.
Is it helping with your meno symptoms?  DG x

Shaon1978

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »

Hi dancing girl
I am 36, I went on what the doctor wanted to give me I had bloods earlier in the year and my levels were 87.2 3 years previously it was 97 so doctor said I was post menopausal then he sent me to see a gynaecologist at the hospital she suggested what I needed to take, so Me being young and confused went with what was suggested as didn't really know what was right and wrong.
The tablets are deffo helping with hot flushes x

Shaon1978

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 07:52:50 PM »

I forgot to say I wasn't aware of the results 3 years ago I was told my bloods were normal but when the gynaecologist looked at them she said they weren't x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »

It can get a bit confusing. You are considered post meno once you have had at least a year without a natural period. My blood results gave a reading of 140 something but I still went on to have further periods for another two years before going on to HRT. The usual advice would be to use a sequential HRT which would give you a bleed once a month in order to keep your womb lining thin. This is needed to protect against endometrial cancer.

It is right that you do really need HRT at your young age as the oestrogen has a protective effect on the heart and bones and would have rightfully been yours naturally up to the usual meno age of around 50/51.  It's good that the tablets are helping with the hot flushes but I am a bit confused as to why you have been given this particular hrt.

Taz x

Shaon1978

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 08:01:52 PM »

I am confused to taz I have made an apt with another GP tomorrow x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:10 AM »

Hi Shaon1978
Taz has given some good info and advice.
Like you I had a premature meno - my ovaries started to fail in my mid 30s and I was put onto HRT by the time I was 37.  The problem with the blood tests they do is that unless they do a few tests over several weeks you can't get the full picture of where your are in your meno stage - in other words despite having a high FSH level indicating post meno this may have been a spike and your own hormones may be fluctuating in the background.
You do need HRT at your age(so you have had good advice) but a sequi HRT can often be better to start off with to prevent erratic break through bleeding. A Sequential HRT would give monthy withdrawal bleeds to shed the womb lining which you may not want but I do think, when still young, it can be psychologically better as well so if the spotting proves a problem I would consider the sequential regime.  I am now 59 and still choose to have a sequential regime. Having said this, if you are feeling generally good on this HRT and if this slight spotting doesn't continue for too long and settles down then why not stick with this. There are other HRT options so do read up all the info this site - there is a section on premature meno with advice as well and you might want to look at another website that offers support for women with early ovarian failure - daisynetwork.org.uk
Keep us posted.  DG x

Shaon1978

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »

Thank you everyone for your advice its much appreciated x