Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Anyone not take anything?  (Read 17771 times)

Gill Mojo

Anyone not take anything?
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »

Reading through the multiple threads it seems to me that almost everyone here is on some kind of treatment. I know I am generalising, but seriously, is there anyone around who doesn't take anything - by which I mean stuff specifically for meno? I really don't want to take anything - and I know circumstances might force my hand - and I would love to hear from people who have made it through/continued post-meno without taking any prescribed meds.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anyone not take anything?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »

Those on here will usually be taking something.  Others who apparently 'sail through' won't even know that MM exists.

I know I've been lucky.  Apart from treatment for vaginal atrophy I've not had too much in the way of flushes etc..  I have been on ADs since 1988 and BBs since 2002.  I do get anxiety though which my GP has given me an emergency tablet for.

Do you keep a food/mood diary to chart your feelings?  Hopefully you won't need much 'help'!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »

Hi Gill Mojo
We tend to get women who suffer more severe meno symptoms on MM but there are probably loads of women out there who cope really well with no treatment at all. Unfortunately many of us on MM believe there are also many women suffering in silence because they believe it is wrong to use or seek treatment or are embarrassed.
I have several friends who have gone through meno with few if any meno symptoms so I always say don't look for trouble, you could be fortunate and get through ok.  As meno approaches it is a good time to re evaluate your diet, exercise and general lifestyle choices so your body can cope better. I do think it is important to keep an open mind - too many of us feel a failure because we can't cope with the horrible meno symptoms. We mustn't forget that we are now expected to work till we're 66-67 and often have far more pressures with older relations living longer and our kids needing support for longer as well.
I personally believe it's about quality of life - life is short and if you are not sleeping well and feel tired and irritable most of the time because of meno symptoms then take the treatment and get on with life.
I believe that roughly 30-40% of women have a relatively easy menopause with around a further 20-40% only getting moderate symptoms for 2-5 years. We are all different so be positive and maybe you will be lucky.
I hope others will be along with some feedback.  DG x

Briony

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »

Those on here will usually be taking something.  Others who apparently 'sail through' won't even know that MM exists.

Absolutely, CKLD!  We tend to be the ones who've suffered the most extreme symptoms -  and been made to feel 'weak' for therefore having to take things in order to function normally. I wish society would accept that whilst meno may be natural, some people suffer in a very unnatural manner!

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »

I don't take anything either Gill so you are not alone, nor you sparkle  :)

Gill Mojo

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »

Thanks ladies :)

I originally came to this site because I have no female friends or relatives I can discuss this stage of life with, and I am learning so much; it's awesome.

I think the worst thing for me is trying to differentiate between what is peri and what is my permanent depression as so many of the symptoms are similar if not identical. I have long since given up on doctors and therapists as none of them have ever been able to do more than hide my depression with zombie-making anti-depressants and therapy that makes me feel worse and due to my negative experiences with that (Over the course of 30+years) I have no faith n the medical profession; hence my desire to get through this without going to see one... preferably ever :D

I guess we will see what transpires ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »

Gill Mojo - It is difficult to have faith when you have had poor experiences.  However there are new guidelines going through soon which should make GPs support us better. I think the trend of GPs readily dishing out ADs has to be questioned so I really understand your concerns. Just sharing things with all of us may help you more than anything else - things can get a bit heated at times as we don't always agree with each other but there is generally a good exchange of ideas and support.
I think it does help to know that certain symptoms are to do with the menopause as this can alleviate anxiety - so many of us think we're the only ones experiencing these awful flushes, night sweats, UTI type symptoms etc. it is a relief to know these things are quite common - that is not to say you will suffer with these things.
DG x

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »

I'm not on anything prescribed (I just take Menopace) but I don't feel I particularly have to be, just in order to visit this site.  Obviously, there are many ladies out there who are glad to be able to swap notes here on HRT, but it's the ability to share experiences of this time of life that attracts me to MM.   I think there's room for both.

Briony

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »

I'm not on anything prescribed (I just take Menopace) but I don't feel I particularly have to be, just in order to visit this site.  Obviously, there are many ladies out there who are glad to be able to swap notes here on HRT, but it's the ability to share experiences of this time of life that attracts me to MM.   I think there's room for both.

Absolutely - especially useful when you're at the younger end of the spectrum and  all those around you are more interested in conceiving than night sweats and VA!  x

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »

I agree with you Prajna. 

I have not taken medications but that does not mean I have escaped unscathed.  In fact one thing that has helped me get the whole process in perspective has been reading and reading and reading things on this website and forum and I have learned things that no prescription could have taught me.

Reading that someone else has experienced the exact same thing that I thought too silly to bother the doctor with reassures me that there is nothing much to worry about and saved my GP from an unnecessary appointment.

One of the best things to alleviate anxiety is sharing with people who really know what it feels like.

Gill Mojo

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »

Absolutely, Babyjane. Reading this site has put my mind at ease several times, and I expect it will do so again and again. Fabulous, supportive forum.

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 02:48:02 PM »

'like'  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 02:59:16 PM »

'like' ………. however, ADs are not a cure but give the sufferer a means of coping … without those and the BBs I wouldn't be here  :-\.  Most days I wake feeling like my brain wants to continue sleeping  ;D but it follows me out of bed and by mid-morning, we are re-united.  By evening my anxiety is less (usually) and I am a different person  ::)!

I never want to feel 'that' ill again so am sticking with ADs/BBs for Life.  Quality of Life is important to me.  We do have choices, unlike our ancestors ……… as long as we have a supportive GP!  I think that it is best to be aware of what is available for each symptom that we may suffer? forewarned and all that!

LizeeeH

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »

Im not on anything but my aches and pains are horrible, the mood swings and emotions are bad BUT the thing that helps me......is my daily 15 miles on my bike :) Im self employed and work from 8am to 6.30 everyday and Im shattered but still push myself to ride the bike lol

oh yes and im 58 this year.........oh joy!

Dulciana

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 04:16:02 PM »

Im not on anything but my aches and pains are horrible, the mood swings and emotions are bad BUT the thing that helps me......is my daily 15 miles on my bike :) Im self employed and work from 8am to 6.30 everyday and Im shattered but still push myself to ride the bike lol

Great to hear that, LizeeeH.  Playing music does the same thing for me.  It's these things you can't put in a bottle!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5