Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Slightly sore throat and swollen glands with a wonky thermostat  (Read 6653 times)

Linda51

• First Flush

I'm hugely greatful to everyone who shares on this forum as it has helped me a lot reading other peoples experiences over the past year. I'm nearly 52 now and recently was referred to the menopause clinic which was really helpful. They've left it with me to decide what I'd like to do. As I have Crohn's disease it makes me more sensitive to everything!! My problem right now however is that I have had this slightly sore throat with swollen glands for perhaps three weeks or more and it goes with not so much hot flushes but like my thermosats gone wonkey. It's not like a fever but my face is red and blotchy and I feel hot like I'm over heating in the top part of my body.
It's all getting so weird, I'd love to hear from anyone who's having or had similar experiences and anyone with crohns. The doctor suggested I could go on a low dosage combined patch, I'm really tempted but I also have a fear of taking medication because of the reactions I get to drugs. I think I have a heightened fear right now and have done since the start of this perimenopause which I'd say began three years ago. It's nice to be able to talk and thank you all those who do share in this website as I really appreciate it  :)

honeybun

Re: Slightly sore throat and swollen glands with a wonky thermostat
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:52:48 PM »

A sore throat and swollen glands has nothing to do with meno. If you are getting overheating I would be inclined to say it's a temperature related to a virus.
I would go see my GP as you may need antibiotics.

It's so easy to blame meno for everything but it doesn't cause what you describe.

Hope you feel much better soon

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »

:welcomemm:  I agree with Honeybun.  Have a chat with a pharmacist or a GP.

As for Chrons, we have members on here with various health problems which affect their meno symptoms, i.e. ME, various digestive difficulties ……… if you use the 'search' button for Chrons it should throw up responses.

Ask away.  Let us know how you get on! 

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »

Sorry your'e  feeling rough Linda but getting overheated ain't always down to meno & hot flushes.

I'me 58, post meno, have MS and am using HRT. A couple of weeks ago I had the gut bug from h??l, I felt really rough. My OH asked if I'd checked my temperature, er no, took temp and it was 37.8. Took a couple of days to come down but it did. I think the point is that meno isn't the cause of all our ills.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »

Sounds more like a virus which has given you a bit of a temperature. Hope you feel better soon.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 10:02:52 PM »

Hi and welcome Linda51
My older sister has Crohns and my younger sister had Ulcerative colitis so it's in my family. HRT could possibly help your condition - my older sister found her Crohns improved when she was on HRT. I find my immune system works much better when on HRT. As Crohns effects the digestive system so badly your GP is right to suggest the patches and they work really well for many women.
I beleive that swollen glands continuously for 3 weeks should be investigated - if it's an infection then antibiotics may be necessary but a virus should have cleared up by now.  I think a trip to the GP for some tests would be good.
As to HRT - you could give it a try - you can just stop it if you don't like it. You probably have a great deal to gain and nothing to loose by giving it a go.  Keep us posted.  Dg x

Linda51

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »

Thank you all for your responses, it's really helpful particularily in relation to my crohns. I've made an appointment to see my GP regarding glands and overheating but can't see him until next week. I'll let you know the outcome. Many thanks again, it's nice to know you're not alone, it helps :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 09:38:37 AM »

You should be able to get the GP to phone you back or visit a Pharmacist if possible.  Probably nothing except paracetamol to help ease temp and Nurofen for any aches but better to ask so that the gut isn't aggravated!

Linda51

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 06:25:44 PM »

Hi all, just been to GP's he checked my glands, throat and temperature, all normal. he said that he thought it was all linked to the perimenopause. he didn't see the link with my glands but as my glands he said were fine and not swollen. I just have to put it all down to the PM. Thanks again for those of you that sent a message much appreciated  :)

Miss Lemon

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »

I experience the exact symptoms you describe Linda51. I've got it today; sore throat and blotchy burning face and neck. It sometimes goes into my chest too. I think it is linked to peri as I've never had it prior to this and my GP doesn't think it's anything else. All part of the rich tapestry eh?!

Linda51

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:14:16 PM »

Thanks Miss Lemon, it's good to know someone else is having a similar experience although I wish you weren't , it's as you say all part of the rich tapestry of life or should I say the pm.

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 03:49:03 PM »

Linda I just want to share that I get unexplained sore throat with swollen tender lymph glands and a 'fluey' feeling when I am overtired, as though my body thinks the overtiredness is symtomatic of an illness and my immune system sends in the big guns to try and fight it off. 

Mary G

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »

I have a long history of sore throats and flu like symptoms but it always happens when I am tired and feeling generally a bit down.  I think getting over tired leads to feeling low which then leads to the sore throat, it's a vicious circle.  Gargling with TCP and taking Benelin original for a few days before going to bed usually gets rid of it. 

Perhaps you could try the patches and see it that helps - make sure you give it a couple of months.  I don't know very much about Crohns but taking HRT via the transdermal route would be best to avoid side effects because it bypasses the liver.