Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Natural alternatives to vagifem?  (Read 44773 times)

spookstreet

Natural alternatives to vagifem?
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »

I've been prescribed vagifem pessaries for 'mild' vaginal atrophy but I generally react badly to pharmaceuticals (still recovering from the antibiotics I was prescribed for a UTI, which resulted in it taking a couple of months for the vaginal atrophy to even be diagnosed) and I'd like, if possible, to try something more natural in the first instance. My current thinking is Balance Activ Moisture Plus pessaries, moving on to Regelle, which I gather I can get on prescription; plus sea buckthorn oil capsules taken orally.

Has anyone had experience of such an approach, or something similar?

And if I end up having to go down the vagifem route, does anyone know if the suggested 3-month course is likely to sort it 'permanently'? I'm not keen on the idea of doing the 3 months and then finding I have to use it forever!

I'm not in a sexual relationship at the moment so at least that side of things isn't currently an issue!  :)

Hurdity

Re: Natural alternatives to vagifem?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:57:01 PM »

Hi spookstreet

:welcomemm:

I haven't any experience of the alternatives but I know others have had so I'm sure they will be along to help you.

However just to say that really the only thing that actually "cures" vaginal atrohpy is local oestrogen and it has to be taken permanently to prevent the condition from returning as it is due to oestrogen deficiency.

There is some information on this site about it here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php

and here
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalresources.php

and an article here which includes a survey:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

Many of us take HRT as well as vaginal oestrogen and it is really OK to use it long term. I understand your concern about pharmaceuticals but the active ingredient is estradiol which is bi-identical oestrogen ie the same as in our bodies. The only thing is some people are sensitive to the fillers - but this is very unusual. You soon get used to using it twice a week and it being part of your routine. The other alternative is estriol cream (Ovestin or Gynest) but this is messier - but also perhaps gives more lubrication ie makes things moister as well as acting on the vaginal tissues to plump them up.

Some women use local oestrogen (regularly) in conjunction with other products on the market - for sex, when additional lubrication might be needed. I've been using some form of local oestorgen probably for nearly 10 years and everything is fine down there. You can't get more natural than something that's the same as your own oestrogen, and even the other natural products you mention will also have a base or fillers from which they are made.

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x

spookstreet

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »

Many thanks for your reply, Hurdity - not only informative but very reassuring! After a rather bad night and a suspicion that another UTI is brewing, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start on the vagifem after all ...

Who'd have a body?  :)

Jenna

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:04:36 AM »

Hi - was your urine sent to the lab for testing to confirm that you had an infection? With VA it can feel as if you have a UTI when you don't actually have one.

You might like to have a look at the 'Yes' website - they have a water-based vaginal moisturiser, which is hypoallergenic and very gentle. This is also available on prescription. I use it on the days I don't use an oestrogen cream (Estriol), just to keep comfortable, but I have also used it for several months when not using the oestrogen. Worth a try maybe if you don't want to use Vagifem!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »

Use the product?  DH and I were discussing alternatives at breakfast by our pond this morning.  It does depend on the product.  Sometimes the active ingredient is so small it would be impossible to administer without 'packaging' i.e. tablet or capsule around the drug component.  The packaging can be made of various products and sometimes contains lactose.  It is rarely the medication that the person has reaction to but may well be the packaging!

Local oestrogen needs to be used regularly to keep the vaginal tissue well plumped or symptoms will recur. 

spookstreet

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 12:55:31 PM »

Hi - was your urine sent to the lab for testing to confirm that you had an infection? With VA it can feel as if you have a UTI when you don't actually have one.

You might like to have a look at the 'Yes' website - they have a water-based vaginal moisturiser, which is hypoallergenic and very gentle. This is also available on prescription. I use it on the days I don't use an oestrogen cream (Estriol), just to keep comfortable, but I have also used it for several months when not using the oestrogen. Worth a try maybe if you don't want to use Vagifem!

The original UTI story was a long and winding one, which ended up with me having to go private to see a urologist who came up with vaginal atrophy as the actual solution. It's useful, though, to know that VA can give you that feeling, as maybe that's what I'm experiencing today.

I had heard about Yes, but at the moment (till I change my mind!  :) I think I am going to need something more powerful.

spookstreet

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 12:56:15 PM »

Use the product?  DH and I were discussing alternatives at breakfast by our pond this morning.  It does depend on the product.  Sometimes the active ingredient is so small it would be impossible to administer without 'packaging' i.e. tablet or capsule around the drug component.  The packaging can be made of various products and sometimes contains lactose.  It is rarely the medication that the person has reaction to but may well be the packaging!

Local oestrogen needs to be used regularly to keep the vaginal tissue well plumped or symptoms will recur.

Thanks for that, CLKD!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »

So use the product as prescribed.  That will give you some relieve and as it's an occasional dosage every 3/4 and every 4/5 nights after the initial loading 2 weeks, it really isn't much.  Add to that a good lubrication your vagina should soon feel more comfortable.

spookstreet

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 04:04:17 PM »

So use the product as prescribed.  That will give you some relieve and as it's an occasional dosage every 3/4 and every 4/5 nights after the initial loading 2 weeks, it really isn't much.  Add to that a good lubrication your vagina should soon feel more comfortable.

I now intend to - which will mean I'll have to stop reading all the horror stories about side-effects, 'it didn't work', etc etc etc! Fingers crossed I get through the initial two weeks (when, the urologist, 'things could seem to be getting worse') OK ...

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 04:13:33 PM »

Why would things get worse  :-\ and which urologist?  I had almost instant relief with the pessaries, now withdrawn due to 'lack of demand' ……… so my GP prescribed Ovestin1mg. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »

Hi and welcome spookstreet.  Many of us experience UTI type symptoms without any actually infection being present and local oestrogen is the best, most natural, way to reduce this.  I use both systemic HRT and local oestrogen to help control these symptoms which do seem to be related to vaginal atrophy. The dryness which is as a result of the lack of oestrogen make the whole area around the vagina, bladder and urethra more prone to all sorts of problems so the oestrogen helps to restore a healthier balance.  I still use some Multi Gyn actigel(there are other products on the market) to help keep the flora in my vagina healthy and this will calm down itching and burning.
I did find the Vagifem made me burn a bit for the first couple of weeks and if the atrophy has been ongoing for some time it can take a few weeks before the full benefits are felt - so do persevere. Some like using the oestrogen creams but I find them a bit messy to use and the fillers in these irritated - it's a personal thing and you may later want to try different things to find the best one for you. This local oestrogen is not like antibiotics or other drugs you might react to - this is just restoring what you should have naturally. 
Keep us posted.  DG x

spookstreet

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 04:47:06 PM »

Why would things get worse  :-\ and which urologist?  I had almost instant relief with the pessaries, now withdrawn due to 'lack of demand' ……… so my GP prescribed Ovestin1mg.

Ah, forgot I hadn't included the full gory details! Essentially, two courses of antibiotics for UTIs (and there was definitely at least one, which the second course of antibiotics kicked on the head, though it didn't do anything for the original symptoms: hot pee and strange 'hot flush' sensations in the genital area) followed by wild oregano oil, which is the most disgusting thing I've ever taken and didn't do a thing. I'm still trying to recover from the bashing my system got from all those!

Anyway, the GP agreed to refer me to a urologist and, because I really couldn't face the idea of waiting 5 or 6 weeks for an appointment, I bit the bullet and used a small cashplan I hadn't got round to cancelling to go private. Still an expensive business, but the urologist was great, in that he realised that it was a gynae rather than a urinary problem more or less straightaway and prescribed the vagifem. (He said that if I HAD gone down the NHS route, I'd probably have been seen by a registrar, who probably wouldn't have had his experience and would have sent me straight for cystoscopy.)

But vagifem pessaries have been withdrawn in your area, CLKD???

Since I've been looking up vaginal atrophy and seen how common a problem it is, I find it rather scary that the GP wasn't able to diagnose it.  :o

spookstreet

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »

Hi and welcome spookstreet.  Many of us experience UTI type symptoms without any actually infection being present and local oestrogen is the best, most natural, way to reduce this.  I use both systemic HRT and local oestrogen to help control these symptoms which do seem to be related to vaginal atrophy. The dryness which is as a result of the lack of oestrogen make the whole area around the vagina, bladder and urethra more prone to all sorts of problems so the oestrogen helps to restore a healthier balance.  I still use some Multi Gyn actigel(there are other products on the market) to help keep the flora in my vagina healthy and this will calm down itching and burning.
I did find the Vagifem made me burn a bit for the first couple of weeks and if the atrophy has been ongoing for some time it can take a few weeks before the full benefits are felt - so do persevere. Some like using the oestrogen creams but I find them a bit messy to use and the fillers in these irritated - it's a personal thing and you may later want to try different things to find the best one for you. This local oestrogen is not like antibiotics or other drugs you might react to - this is just restoring what you should have naturally. 
Keep us posted.  DG x
Many thanks for this, Dancing Girl! And I've just been speaking to a friend who does reflexology/homeopathy and she's also agreed that vagifem has to be the way to go in the circumstances ... It's good to have advance warning of the 'burn', though (which I also got the first few times I used balance active pessaries).

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 06:08:45 PM »

No Vagifem wasn't withdrawn.  It was another product, name escapes me  ::)

Let us know how you get on!

SadLynda

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 06:02:13 PM »

I have spent days studying this subject.  I have now arrived at the conclusion the answer is NO.  So, will be making the appointment for this soon.  Most of you know I have acupuncture for most of my symptoms, and take supplements.. I had hoped the Omega 7 would help and it did seem to until I changed to a cheaper brand, gone back to the 'real' ones now but I really think I need more help.  Also not prepared to suffer when there is no need to.
Pages: [1] 2