Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Plastic carrier bags  (Read 15013 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Plastic carrier bags
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 02:42:14 PM »

Need to go shopping there more often, I saw a lady with 5 this afternoon  :o

bramble

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 07:58:53 PM »

Possibly a few years ago I was up in the loft tidying up and put lots of plastic carrier bags inside another one with the aim of taking it down the stairs. Needless to say the bag packed with other bags stayed there until I went up a few weeks ago for something else and picked it up. All the bags had just turned into plastic confetti including the external bag when I grabbed it. Up until then I had not really believed that supermarket plastic bags were degradeable but now I know!! And in a relatively short time as well. Presumably the ones we get free for kitchen waster degrade quicker?

Bramble

jgr

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »

As has been said, up here in Scotland we have been paying for a while now. I don't mind paying for bags for food shopping, or taking bags for life with me but i object to paying for a bag in clothes shops, shoe shops etc. They ask you if you want to buy a bag when i may be spending £50 plus on items, i feel like saying" NO i will just walk out the store like a shop lifter". These ones should still be supplied free. Rant over. >:(

honeybun

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 08:42:51 PM »

Rant agreed with  ;D

I have walked out a store with some jumpers over my arm clutching my receipt. I wonder how many people have been stopped  ::)

Honeybun
X

littleminnie

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 08:21:04 AM »

I bet shoplifters are pleased. It will make their 'job' easier.

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »

I choose not to have a card unless DH and I are shopping together (usually do) and it's for him  ;)

I bought degradable bin liners years ago. Put them away and forgot about them until, you guessed: they began shredding on the floor in the utility room, I was convinced that we had mice  ;D.  They were carefully carried to the home made composing area.

I think that posh shops will continue to provide carriers, but probably made in waxed/cardboard type paper which can be re-used.  We managed in the 1920s/30s/40s/50s ……… but then lots of things were delivered to the house weekly. 

honeybun

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »

And paper bags were widely used.

I carry my bags in the car and I'm getting better at remembering them. I also have a little folding one in my handbag.

Honeybun
X

ariadne

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2015, 07:14:21 PM »

Bramble, I found same as you that the plastic carriers from supermarkets turn into confetti if you keep them a few months. But I guess before that happens, they are capable of littering the streets and harming wildlife etc.

I have tried to make sure all my handbags have a carrier bag in them but how are you meant to know how many bags you might need when out on an impulse buying spree 😁

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2016, 08:37:15 PM »

This is being mis-interpreted by small shops  >:( and already, a Company making plastic bags has gone out of business so 80 people have lost their jobs  :sigh:

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 09:51:56 AM »

It makes me laugh how mean some people are!  I was in a charity shop the other day and a man was buying two very heavy glass candlestick holders.  he joked with the assistant that they were so heavy he could use them as exercise weights!

the assistant asked whether he'd like a 5p carrier bag and you would have thought she had offered to behead him!  ;D   he ended up stuffing them in his coat pockets rather than spend another 5p.  It's 5p For gods sake!!

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »

Charity shops though are jumping on the band wagon!  They of course are allowed to charge but not many did prior to the recommendations for Companies employing over 250 people.  That is 'employing', not using volunteers  ::) and I haven't yet walked into a Charity shop that has 250 people working there.

British Heart high street Charity shops have to buy their bags now from the main warehouse; they charge 5p.  But as some Charity shops are franchises …….. i.e. some AgeUK branches split from the main Charity because they didn't agree with the Charities Policies (and now I can't remember where I read that  >:( ).

I carry my bags mostly.  At least they are in the boot of the car - does that count  ;D and if I get an over-flow of bags I take them to the Charity shops when passing.

Scampi

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 03:47:53 PM »

A shop has to charge if the company as a whole has 250 employees, not just that single store.  So that would cover most (if not all) national charities.

I bought a set of trolley bags from Lakeland and keep them in my car boot - they roll up into a neat package that hangs on the hook of a supermarket trolley, and when you reach the checkout you simply undo the Velcro strap and unroll them into the trolley - they have strong 'arms' that sit on the edge of the trolley and are graduated to fit (I got a set to fit the shallow trolleys as I almost never use the deep ones - can't reach the bottom!!), and you can sort your shopping straight into the four bags as it's scanned  The set is held together by Velcro and easily separates to transfer to the car boot and carry into the house.  They've got nice broad handles too so they don't feel heavy to carry!  I love 'em.

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 04:47:28 PM »

:thankyou:  that explains a lot - also, good about the Lakeland bags, I saw those in the Catalogue and the next week, a lady had a set in her trolley.  Food for thought!

CLKD

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:19 PM »

What do you all do with Charity begging bags?  We get at least 8 through the door each week  :bang: :bang: :bang: and as they don't rot down in landfill ………

Anyone want any for storage?

littleminnie

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »

I save all the charity bags. When I have a big clear out and need a few I turn them inside out and put them outside for collection with the original charity bag.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5