Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Plastic carrier bags  (Read 15011 times)

Joyce

Re: Plastic carrier bags
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »

Never had problems with shredded paper here, at least not so far.

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 07:34:49 PM »

We did have this advice on our latest recycling information

"Shredded paper – often this is not accepted as the small fibres can jam the machinery at the recycling facility; although some councils will accept shredded paper if it's put inside an empty cereal box for example. Before you recycle shredded paper, check with your local council."

but when I phoned they said that they still wouldn't accept it.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 07:41:54 PM »

Now it's getting silly...hide it Taz. ::)

Our recycling people are not that fussy. I'm sure some of the stuff we put in shouldn't be there but no one seems to care to be honest.

Honeyb
X

Dulciana

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 08:43:35 PM »

It is when you pay it week in and week out.
My memory really improved when the charge came in and apart from that I like the thought of not using them. They can take so long to break down and just pollute our countryside.
Bags for life....pay the first time and when they get a hole in, the supermarket replace free of charge. I keep separate types for different things as I don't want my bread in bags that had a chicken in the week before.
Oh it gets complicated  ;D
HoneybX

I wish I was as good as you with remembering to take my bags, HB.  The number of times I've been half way to the supermarket then realised I've left my bags at home, or I've got as far as the checkout and I've realised the bags are still in the car!  But I'm getting there - slowly!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:04:58 PM by Dulciana »

Gill Mojo

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 04:51:49 AM »

I get my weekly shop delivered and Asda no longer use hundreds of plastic bags on their delivery trucks. I might have three in an eight to ten crate shop, for example. Those I reuse as bin bags all round the house. For my daily shopping I have a wicker basket (looks like a gardening trug) or a knitted bag (which I made) to tote stuff around in. So I am allowed to sit here feeling virtuous for a minute ;)

We take lots of stuff to the local recycling centre as well as using our green boxes for paper, tins and glass, and the food recycling bin which is the newest institution by the council.

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 10:37:09 AM »

Now it's getting silly...hide it Taz. ::)

Our recycling people are not that fussy. I'm sure some of the stuff we put in shouldn't be there but no one seems to care to be honest.

Honeyb
X

Maybe your recycling plants are different to ours? http://www.fareham.gov.uk/waste_collection_and_recycling/recycling/shreddedpaper.aspx  We also get a contaminated bin sticker put on our bins if anything is spotted that shouldn't be in there. Bin emptiers are supposed to look into the top of each bin before they put it on the lorry. I must admit I hide things in the middle of the domestic waste bin and have yet to come home and find the dreaded CONTAMINATED BIN sticker.  ;D

sparkle - there is a lot of plastic we still can't recycle here - all of the plastic packaging which meat comes in for instance and also yoghurt pots and margarine and ice cream containers can't be put in the cardboard and plastic bin. Glass is collected separately in a plastic box but no bottle tops allowed  :-\

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:52 AM »

Ours has improved on that Taz, about 3 years ago we were given larger bins and it is sorted by hand somewhere.  However, if bins are 'contaminated' they go straight to Landfill ……..

babyjane

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »

I tell my husband that but he can be lazy as the blue bin is right outside the back door and sometimes he doesn't want to walk round to the other bins.  I often have to fish out unsuitable stuff he has thrown in there  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 11:07:30 AM »

My husband's the same babyjane!

CLKD - our contaminated bins are not emptied until the offending items have been removed so you end up with a full bin for another week. Daft. No wonder fly tipping is on the increase!!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 11:15:16 AM »

We have a recycling bin and compost bin in the kitchen, which then goes outside into the Council bins.  A bit of sorting required most weeks but generally it works OK.

bramble

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »

We have a shortage of space here so I share the paper and plastics bins with next door. They get emptied once a month and our plastics is always jam packed. It takes all kinds of plastics and tins. Only nono is cling film and bubble wrap which goes into landfill. Part of the problem with our bin is that plastic does not crush down very well so the bin is always full. It would be interesting to know how they deal with recycled plastics and what it is turned into.
Bramble

Limpy

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »

We are in Wales and plastic bags are charged for now.
Our local butcher sell some Jute bags, it turns out they are bags for life.
We were doing a bit of shopping and the handle broke when we put a bit too much wine in the bag (it was on offer had to be done ::)) We went into the butcher with the intention of buying another bag when we were presented with one, for no charge!  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »

I was quite keen on recycling until one day our bin was missed. I called and they came back the next day. The bin men cheerfully told me they would just empty all my bins  :o, so now I'm not so careful.
Our food waste now goes into to our garden waste bin. We get supplied with compostable bags. I do like that as its emptied every week and saves the bins from smelling.

No one looking in our bins as yet  ;D

Disposable nappies are another huge problem.....

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »

Under some By-laws we are allowed to put one soiled nappy and one soiled sanitary napkin in the bin each week  ::) - wonder which bloke thought that one up. 

The problem with some shredded paper is if the paper is waxy, similar to that of weekend magazines, it bungs up the sorting rollers and brings the whole re-cycling plant to a halt! therefore for years we had to put waxed paper into the landfill bin.  Now the machinery is improved it can take more.  I believe that it's Sheffield that runs on recycled waste, has done from the 1970s: I remember Jimmy Young going to the Plant to do a broadcast and I thought at the time, that should happen across the UK!!!

bramble

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »

We are supposed to put food waste into the garden bin. We were all supplied with small plastic bins and compostable bags for the house. I don't use that system as I have cats and cats and food waste does not mix. I just put mine into the landfill bin. Our garden waste cum food bin only gets emptied once a fortnight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5