Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello from another one  (Read 2150 times)

SadLynda

Hello from another one
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »

Hi All,
I read quite a lot of this forum yesterday, not sure whether I was more astonished or saddened to read myself over and over again in the many posts.

Here is a quick run down, as seems I am definatly not alone.

Just over 3 years ago I gave up smoking after 30 years of being a smoker.  My first symptom was the worst insomnia, I visited the GP a few times before giving up, even changed GP once - neither had any interest at all in the fact I could not sleep.  I also spent a lot of time at the dentist, and after a visit to the dental hospital was told I had my gingivitis under control but everything else was merely 'in my head'.  I also started back with the depression I had not had since having my daughter 24 years ago, but this I kept to myself as the only option would be AD's and I dont want to go there again.  A few other things have happened in personal life too, that normally I would have been able to cope with but NO, I seem to have spent 3 years in tears, sometimes for days at a time.  The 'real' me has long gone.
My Daughter is expecting a baby, and has been very ill too.  She has been diagnosed with pre-natal depression but if you ask me its all down to her hormones as we suffer the same things... this is what lead me to start on 'Quiet Life' tablets, which led me to look up the ingrediants which is when I realised what exactly is wrong with me.  I have about 25 of the 34 common symptoms of menopause.

My GP is worse than useless, so I am starting on herbal treatments - about to search the site and see if anyone else is following this path.

This is me in a nutshell, happy to talk to any other sufferer's as this really is a naff deal from life.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello from another one
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:29 PM »

:welcomemm:  have a good browse!

Well done on giving up smoking!  Sleep problems are usual in all age ranges, GPs should take more notice.  Have you considered visiting a Pharmacist in your area for advice, they have private rooms now.  When did you see your GP last, maybe talk to the Practice Nurse?

Pre/post-natal depression is due to hormones.  Is she getting good support?  When is the baby due?

You may find that herbal remedies help for a while but when hormones begin to over-ride any benefits, then HRT can be considered.  Again, have you talked to your Practice Nurse? 

SadLynda

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »

Thanks CLKD - never even occured to me to try the nurse.  I last saw the GP last year with a chest infection, didnt even bother to mention anything else this time.

I will venture to see the nurse though, might be a chance she will listen.

My daughter is getting very little support, only due to her last 'flip out' at A&E did we get anywhere at all.  She has her husband, me and her mother in law so not alone.  Baby due in December.

Thanks for herbal advice, although I have no faith at all in the GP's in my area my main concern is my Mum was on HRT for many years and I swear it responsible for her 3 strokes and now in congestive heart failure. Having said that, I am not prepared to suffer for ever, I have given myself 6 months to sort it out myself without hrt, if by January I am no better I will go for it - suffered for 3 years so what's another 6 months?  Or at least that was yesterday's decision, now I just 'might' see what the nurse suggests, cant believe I never thought of that, thanks so much for suggesting it. :-*

dazned

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »

If you have no empathy or solutions from the nurse ask to be referred to a menopause clinic or your nearest Wellwomans clinic. Look them up see where your nearest one is so you can tell them if they feign ignorance  ;)

SadLynda

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »

thanks Dazned, will bare that in mind too. :)

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 07:04:07 PM »

Hello SadLynda.

Naff deal from life is right in my view.
I would add that I suffered horrible meno symptoms when my periods finished and tolerated them all hoping that each new problem would be the last and that I would soon feel better. After three years of no respite and in fact feeling even worse I approached my GP and asked for HRT. None of us know when this journey will send and I think everything and anything we can do to help ourselves is worth considering.

I hope you and your daughter get the help you need, especially as hormones seem to be playing their nasty tricks on both of you.

Take care.

K.

SadLynda

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 10:47:19 AM »

Thanks Kathleen x

I got brave (and trust me, this is brave for me these days) I went to GP and have organised an appointment with the nurse, the reception asked me 'what for' so has also booked me a blood test - she was very nice and explained that they do have a well woman clinic too that they will enroll me in after my chat with the nurse.

Not for a couple of weeks, but after 3 years that is fine and gives me time to adjust to the idea.  Many thanks to CLKD for suggesting this.