Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Magnet therapy - any thoughts?  (Read 12076 times)

Hollysmum

Magnet therapy - any thoughts?
« on: July 21, 2015, 07:44:21 AM »

Hello, everyone!  I read an article about a woman who had found that wearing a bracelet/bangle with what were described as powerful magnets in it had helped her perimenopausal symptoms (these had been diagnosed by her GP).  She reported that her aches and pains subsided within days of starting to wear it, and I wondered if anyone else had tried this sort of therapy?  I'm aware that far too many people cash in on the discomfort and misery of others, and I'm far too stingy to part with money if I don't think it's going to be worth the effort!  I've noted that you can get bangles, bracelets, necklaces and rings all purporting to be for therapeutic purposes quite easily, on Amazon, for example.  Any thoughts, comments, experiences would be most welcome!  Thank you all so much.  Catherine.  :)

Jenna

Re: Magnet therapy - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:28 AM »

Hi - if you do a search for Ladycare you will find lots of info on here about the magnets. :)

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:15:36 AM »

I have never worn a magnet but I know people who do for joint pain and say they make a huge difference.
Some say it's,a placebo effect but I really don't believe that.

Many years ago I had a dog that had arthritis and was very stiff and sore. I bought a very expensive magnetic collar for her and the difference was astounding.

She didn't know she was wearing anything different so no placebo effect there.

You can always try, but I would suggest buying a good one.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:56:29 AM »

honeybun I so totally agree with you, my little dog has been wearing a magnetic collar for 3 months now and it has got rid of the need for pain meds for his bad back.  I noticed the difference in him within 48 hours.  I was told it was a placebo effect to which my reply was, how can it be a placebo effect as the dog doesn't know he is wearing a magnet. 

Hollysmum, I was sceptical but they do seem to work.

Hollysmum

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »

Jenna, Honeybun and BabyJane - thank you very much for this!  If it's good enough for dogs, I'm inclined to think it might be good enough for me!  At the very worst, I would end up with a nice bracelet/ring/necklace!!  I'm so fed up with popping tablets when I have a day of aches and pains, it would be nice to think that something as simple as a magnet could do the trick.  I will check out Ladycare.  Catherine. XX

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »

My friend who owns a pet shop wears a magnetic thingy that's for a horse. He straps it across his shoulder and swears it really helps.

The one that he uses and also the one I had for my dog was called Bioflow.

Not cheap but very effective.

Honeyb
X

bramble

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »

I have had a Bioflow bracelet for years and I think it does help. It is never off my wrist.

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »

In the 1970s patients with slow to unite or non-healing fractures were treated by magnet therapy - Swansea Uni and one of the Welsh Hospitals were involved.  The patient took a very heavy battery home which was plugged in at night  :-\ and the magnets places over the fracture site.

Angel45

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 04:21:50 PM »

My daughter had a pony that was very stiff when she came out of her stable in a morning so we tried bio flow horse boots, made a huge difference she came out as bouncy as anything  using them.

I have a bio flow bracket for a while originally used for a bad back, I have found again it again and started to wear it the last 3 days to see if will help with my perimenopause symptoms, time will tell but worth a go.

Also from the advice of a 75 yr old who is like a spring chicken I have started to take rosehip to help with the joint aches and it is much better.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:23:58 PM by Angel45 »

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 06:54:08 PM »

the one my dog has is a bioflow too.  It can't be coincidence that they work for the animals.

My dog got cranky with his when the weather was very hot a couple of weeks ago so I removed it at night to keep him comfortable.  It is back on 24 hours a day now but he has been more stiff and sore when he was not wearing it all the time.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 07:24:50 PM »

Hi Hollysmum - you are absolutely right that too many people/companies cash in on the discomfort and misery of others and the menopause magnet industry is one such. As far as I am aware there is absolutely no evidence that they work at all - although I am sure there could be a placebo effect for psychological symptoms.

As for pets - well this has nothing whatsoever to do with menopause!!!! We're talking about human beings and menopause here! Extrapolation from a couple of anecdotal observations on the effect of one therapy on animals and various conditions, to women and menopause is scientific nonsense! Please do not waste your money Hollysmum!!!!

The animal thing was dicussed a few months ago and I found this (nothing to do with menopause and women though!):

I am not saying magnets don't work on pets, but you should be aware that the owners' belief/non-belief in an alternative therapy can affect how the animal responds to a therapy.  I knew someone who was involved in research in this area, and they found that a placebo given to a pet with an owner who believed in the therapy was more effective than the real therapy give to a pet whose owner was a sceptic!

Here is the thread:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26632.msg427141.html#msg427141

If something appears to work in peri-menopause then there are three possible options:
1   It works - ie the treatment is effective for that/those symptom(s)
2   The effect is placebo - and this therefore won't work on physical symptoms but perhaps a limited effect on those more within control of the mind
3   The symptoms were going to subside/reduce anyway

It is no coincidence that all these remedies for which little reliable evidence is available - mostly concern women in peri-menopause - when hormones fluctuate and symptoms come and go. This is why anecdotal observations are no help whatsoever and why we need to turn to scientific trials to see if a treatment ("alternative" or conventional) has a chance of success. We can ask people's opinion for example about different pain-killers for migraine - because all of these have been developed, tested, are regulated and have been shown through trials to work - but we still need to know how different people react to different types - at least though we start from the point that they do work for a significant percentage of people!

If it were an effective treatment it would be available on NHS.....but....if you really want to try then buy a cheap ordinary magnet  (rather than an expensive magic menopause one  ::) ) and put it in your knickers!!! Please don't give more money to any of these companies.

What symptoms are you having problems with that you would like to alleviate and where are you in menopause? We can try to help!!

Hurdity x  :)

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »

GP told me not to mess with magnetic therapy, end of.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »

Please Hurdity don't rain on our parade with regards to pets....unless you have one ...which I think you don't....you simply don't know or understand...or have watched the marked difference the magnets can make.

We were generally talking about magnets mainly for aches and pains and not just meno symptoms ...which incidentally I agree they don't work for.

Until you have had a pet that has suffered from arthritis and tried magnets and been very unsure they would work.....seen the difference.....and been impressed.....you really don't know.

Honeyb
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:31:34 PM by honeybun »

lancashirelass

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 05:15:55 AM »

I tried the magnet did nothing at all dont waste your cash

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »

© 1984 British Editorial Society of Bone and Joint Surgery
0301-620X/84/51 31 $2.00

E. M. Downes, FRCS, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Singleton Hospital, Swansea, West Glamorgan, Wales.

J. Watson, PhD, FlEE, Reader in Electronic Engineering
University of Wales, Swansea SA2 8PP, Wales.

Requests for reprints should be sent to Mr E. M. Downes.
Pages: [1] 2 3