Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Is endometrial ablation an option for those of us with progesterone intolerance?  (Read 5188 times)

Mary G

Much has been written about progesterone intolerance on here and it would seem that many people, myself included, are blighted with this problem.  I can only speak for myself but I feel very, very good when I am on the oestrogen (gel) only phase of HRT but not good at all when I have to introduce the progesterone.  In my case, I get silent migraines (migraine aura without headache) which are very debilitating and then, of course, the unwanted period that follows.  It is 2015 and I feel there must be a better way to disable the womb and stop the lining building up.  When we are in our reproductive years, progesterone has a purpose but for those of us who cannot tolerate synthetic progestins or even Utrogestan, there has to be a better option than taking a hormone that our bodies clearly don't like.

I have been wondering if endometrial ablation is an option we could consider?  From what I have read so far, this is a procedure for younger people who have heavy periods but surely it could be beneficial for women on HRT who do not want the lining of their womb to build up and want to minimise their periods?  I don't see why not.  My research is scant but apparently you do still have to take progesterone but I would imagine it would be a much lower dose and probably more spaced out i.e. every six weeks perhaps?  This could make a real difference to some of us who are considering a hysterectomy.

There is another added bonus... it seems pretty well established within the medical profession that oestrogen only HRT is a far safer option as far as breast cancer risk is concerned so taking less progesterone has to be advantageous.

It would be very interesting to hear from any ladies who have had an ablation who would like to share their experiences.  I would particularly like to know what the procedure is like (can you have it done under a local?), how much progesterone you have to take and how heavy your periods are.  Many thanks in advance.

Taz2

A good topic Mary.

Have you had a look at one of the endometrial ablation forums? There's one here http://endometrialablationboard.yuku.com/ which may give you some more info.

Although it sounds quite an easy procedure I'm not sure that it is. It's a two week recovery period and it seems that half of women still get a period though lighter than before. Obviously like any operation it also has risks. One thing I have read is that it's not advisable to take it if you have any family history of endometrial cancer as it removes the possibility of spotting which in the normal way would ring alarm bells that something may not be right in the uterus. It's certainly an interesting subject though and would be great if it does become possible to reduce the amount of progesterone.

Taz x

dazned

I'm progesterone intolerant and my gynecologist said there were 3 options to me
1) hysterectomy,which we both agreed was very extreme !

2) ablation,which he then went on to say that he wouldn't recommend as it lays down so much scar tissue as Taz2 says it would be very difficult to see a ny untoward abnormalities present in the lining.

3) do a long cycle so I only take the progesterone every three months

I chose the latter option.

lancashirelass

Also ablation would not protect your cervix which is.another reason for prog

Spangles

Not sure if ablation is a good thing, my system just went haywire after mine. Debilitating period pain but not much bleed, however my GP still says I need 200mg of utrogestan for 12 days each cycle.
Good luck.
Shellb
xXx

Mary G

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.  It's not looking too good at the moment and would appear to be hysterectomy or bust. 

Hurdity

Hi MaryG - have you tried a longer cycle like dazned and like I do? The success will also depend on how high an oestrogen dose you have and how heavy your bleeds are currently. Also if you have fibroids. If they are heavy and you are on a medium/highdose, a longer cycle might be just too much in terms of uterine build up. Hysterectomy does seem drastic though but if you are so badly progesterone intolerant maybe it is the answer - the least of all evils.

Hurdity x

Mary G

Thanks Hurdity.  Yes, I have tried a longer cycle but I can only go for 5 weeks before I get a period anyway without even taking any progesterone.  It is the same volume wise but goes on for 14 days as opposed to 5 days with progesterone.  I haven't got any fibroids or any other underlying medical condition, just a severe intolerance to all synthetic progestins including (to a lesser extent) Utrogestan even when taken vaginally.  Running out of ideas!