Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Watch your speed in Scotland - 2mph over gets a warning.  (Read 6125 times)

Taz2

Watch your speed in Scotland - 2mph over gets a warning.
« on: July 19, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »

Found this and thought may be of interest for Scottish members and also any of us travelling to Scotland http://www.driving.co.uk/news/just-1mph-too-fast-and-youre-nicked-new-zero-tolerance-approach-to-speeding/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-FBPAGE-_-SundayTimesDriving-_-20150714-_-Driving-_-208307397&linkId=15515387

I worry about this as it's really difficult to get my older style speedometer to stay exactly on the line. Much easier in OH's car which shows a big digital display.

Taz x

Joyce

Re: Watch your speed in Scotland - 2mph over gets a warning.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 11:53:19 AM »

Didn't realise they were changing it again. Fine if you have a digital speedo but pants when using analogue.  It's not the ones who are marginally over the limit, it's those who bomb it between speed cameras who need catching. Average speed cameras are in operation on certain roads up here, which are very effective, but expensive to install. Of course they're only used on dual carriageways. Daughter says they are much more stringent up here. Cameras everywhere.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 12:01:03 PM »

Thanks for the word CG - I just couldn't think of analogue!!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »

Nothing but nothing will convince me that it's not just a money making excercise yet again and it's a load of ******  :hotflash:

For heavens sake, we have speed cameras, speed traps, surveillance vehicles.....what else.

Ok it's easy to creep slightly above the limit but we all do it....well I do on occasions and I'm not a fast driver. In my town they would be better looking at the drivers who go to slow. They are a hazard that's far worse than someone going 2mph above the speed limit.

Yet again the hard pressed motorist is penalised......go catch some real criminals or tackle drug problems.

Can you all tell that this really bugs me  ;D

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »

Loved your rant HB!  Almost same as mine to hubby earlier after reading this topic.  I just cannot see how on earth they are going to do more speed checks. Cameras everywhere. Catch the real criminals. Better warn daughter!  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »

I think it's all about making money.  What about the drivers how tailgate??  Also, is it me or have people stopped indicating these days!!!???? I live on the coast in Suffolk and the mobile camera vans are always hidden around corners waiting to catch the poor holiday makers who might have slipped to 32 miles per hour.

Call me an 'odd ball' but I'm afraid I like to watch the road when I'm driving - not be glued to my speedometer in case I inadvertently slip over the speed limit!!!!
I live down a single track road that lots of cyclists and pedestrians use as well - the speed limit is 30mph !!!!! Bonkers!!!
I could rant about a lot of other things about our road system as well - what's with all these mini round abouts??!!!! I see so many cars simply drive through them!!  DG x

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 04:18:49 PM »

Don't get me started on those mini roundabouts, blooming waste of time most of them. There are a few beside our daughter, what's the matter with give way signs? They put in traffic islands beside us to slow traffic down right next to bus stops. Then the bus takes it's time to move off, deliberately at times I'm sure. So folk overtake the island, which of course is illegal. Now the buses are using CCTV cameras to catch drivers. The publicity stunt they did for this caused horrendous tailbacks beside school where parents were trying to collect their kids. I know they were trying to prove a point, but Police nearly caused accidents themselves. OK rant over!

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 06:02:54 PM »

Just read the link.  I try very hard not to speed, but  >:( >:( >:(

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »

They have just changed the speed limit from 30 to 20 miles an hour in our village. ( There was a campaign to get this installed.)  It makes sense through the centre of the village, which is narrow and with blind bends, but it is a blanket speed limit throughout the large village. We live in a road that is wide, straight, good views and few parked cars. I find it difficult to remember to drive so slowly. However, there are very few policemen around to enforce speed limits in a village that is not a rat run, even though sat nav gives false info. It's hilarious seeing articulated lorries try to negotiate the lanes and then meet the daily bus!  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 07:09:49 PM »

Two and a bit years ago there was a horrendous accident in our village. A lorry left the road and ploughed into a house killing one poor woman and injuring her husband. It was awful....but it was what it was....an accident....and they do happen.
It just added grist to the mill of the worthies around me.
We now have speed signs in the village and if someone goes even a little over the speed limit traffic lights change and we all sit there looking accusingly at each other. They have actually made things worse as now people are running the red lights. There seems to be competitions going on to see if you can trigger the lights to change. It's farcical to be honest. I live above the main road, but it is the main A route that runs up the West coast of Scotland so there is going to be a bit of traffic. There is nowhere to build a bypass so we have to live with it.

Police sitting round the next corner is pointless now with social media.....one person spots them and word goes out. We all make a point of waving cheerily at the police.....then they go away ....hopefully to do something useful.  ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »

We supposedly have Traffic Wardens but only see them if there is an 'Event' in the area  ::) - they never see the treble parking, parking on double yellows, on pavements the wrong way round at night  >:(

Police safety vehicle locations are listed in our weekly paper so no excuse for locals.  Our speedo in the car is different to that on the GPS  :-\ ………

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »

No traffic wardens around us anymore. It's the police that give out parking tickets....I have personal experience of that one  ::)

Honeyb
X