Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hi from another newbie. Am in tatters  (Read 2154 times)

mariachumasbaker

Hi from another newbie. Am in tatters
« on: July 19, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »

Hi everyone.  Am so worried.  I have just turned 55, have been menopausal for a few years now.  Last December, I decided to re-try HRT as had tried elleste duet a couple of years ago and it did not suit me.  I paid privately and went to a gynaecologist who tried me on Estradot 50 patches.  She wanted me to have a mirena coil fitted but I did not want this.  Letters went back between her and my GP about this and I just hung on.  It got to the point in March when I decided to stop HRT and to go down the herbal route. I stopped my patches gradually but then found that the herb route was not working either.  I then went back on my patches from beginning May still not having progesterone.  In the end my gynaecologist prescribed me Micronor mini-pill which I started beg. June.  It started out OK and had a bleed about 2 weeks in but from then on felt absolutely crap and so depressed.  I finished my month's micronor and stopped then.  I went back to see her last week and burst in to tears and told her I think I am progesterone intolerant.  She has told me to come off HRT and wants me to have a pelvic scan on Tuesday to check the lining of my womb.  I am now so worried I cannot stop my tears.  I don't know what to do.  I have spent £100's on this and have got nowhere.  My husband is also finding it very difficult to be with me.  I am so tetchy.  What to do.................... thanks so much xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi from another newbie. Am in tatters
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »

:bighug:   :welcomemm:  You shouldn't need to see anyone privately, however.  I think the reason we are given progesterone is to make the womb shed it's lining.  Hence the scan to check the thickness.

Hopefully Hurdity will be along otherwise if you search Members and put her name you can see her advice to others.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 01:54:46 PM »

Hi mariachumasbaker - welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place.

It's understandable that you are feeling as you are with all of the upheaval you have been through. CLKD is right in that if you still have a womb, even when you are post meno (over a year without a period) you will still need a progesterone to keep the lining thin. The suggestion of a Mirena coil to do this was correct but is not one that every woman wants. You say that Elleste didn't suit you. It can take quite a few goes before you find the right HRT for you so don't despair although you do need to try each one for around three months to let any unwanted side effects hopefully subside. What side effects did you have from Elleste?

It is really good that you are going for a scan to check the womb lining thickness. Once this is done you will know where you are and have a level playing field so to speak for beginning an HRT which suits you better. There are lots of ladies on here who are on Utrogestan as the progesterone element of their HRT which seems to give less side effects so this may well work better for you.

It may seem an uphill struggle at the moment but with the help from the great women on this site you will find it much easier.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM mariahumasbaker
Utrogestan would be good for you to try - I am using it and many others find it is good if they get side effects with the synthetic progesterones.  Do try it sequentially first and then, if you want to, you can go on to trying it continuously. I'm really surprised your private gynae didn't suggest this!!!!!!!
Don't worry - if your womb lining is too thick you can just have a good dose of a strong progesterone first and then try the patch with Utrogestan from then on.  Keep us posted.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »

Sequentially means what exactly  ;)

The progesterone will shed any lining in a bleed …….

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »

CKLD - Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I use Utrogestan for 12 days each month so have a withdrawal bleed but Utrogestan can be used continuously as well so one doesn't have a bleed.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 07:06:11 PM »

:thankyou: