Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: SUGAR  (Read 10381 times)

Dorothy

Re: SUGAR
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2015, 12:21:19 PM »

I do think some people can become addicted to sugar.  I am sure my mother is addicted.  The other day she had an enormous slice of roulade for her afternoon tea, a huge slice of pavlova for dessert after her dinner just a couple of hours later, and immediately after dinner, I found her in the kitchen eating handfuls of sugary breakfast cereal straight out of the packet.  And she had a bar of chocolate later that night.  Today she has eaten 3 apple pies and 2 packets of crisps for lunch...before going out for afternoon tea with her sister, when I know she will eat cake. 

I've tried encouraging her to cut down, but she denies she has a problem.  What I see her eat is only a small fraction of what she probably puts away - she will stuff herself in private and hide the sweet wrappers.  Last week she went into the kitchen to 'make some tea' and when I came out a few minutes later, she was stuffing an entire mars bar into her mouth in one go, and another empty wrapper on the counter, so it was obviously the second one.  Really hard to know what to do, as I am cooking her healthy meals, but she eats those and then goes overboard on the junk afterward.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »

Sounds like there is something wrong: either she doesn't like being 'told' or her body is lacking 'something'?

honeybun

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »

When my hubby was developing Type 1 diabetes he went from not having a sweet tooth at all to not being able to eat enough sweet stuff.
Is your mum overweight. My hubby wasn't, in fact while this was going on he was loosing a lot of weight. He became very ill over a period of a few months.

Maybe get her glucose levels tested.....some pharmacies will do it for you.

Now he hardly eats any sweet stuff at all....a few squares of very dark chocolate is his limit now.

Honeyb
X

Dorothy

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »

Unfortunately, she won't listen to me.  I've tried again and again to get her to see her GP about this but she won't.  She is seriously overweight.  Not sure how much longer her heart will stand the abuse she is giving it!

honeybun

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 08:24:34 PM »

Does she go for check ups. Get them to check then. Could be type 2 diabetes. Good luck with trying to get her to listen.

My mother never does  ::)

Honeyb
X

Dorothy

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2015, 10:07:18 PM »

Problem is the GP won't listen to me due to patient confidentiality, and Mum won't allow me to be involved so I am dependent on her telling them about her issues...which she won't do.  She's very good at putting on a 'normal' act in public... ::)

Limpy

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »

Problem is the GP won't listen to me due to patient confidentiality

Dorothy - The GP can't talk to you about your Mum but surely he must be able to listen to you?  :-\
Ok, you won't know if he's acted but at least then you know you've flagged the issue.

oldsheep

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »

as someone else said, the issue is also the 'hidden' sugar, not just in ready meals but in things like bread (and wine  ::)). I can't just live on meat, fish and fresh veggies, I do need some bread.
Don't take sugar in my tea and have stopped drinking any canned fizzy drinks, but I do like my few squares of dark chocolate daily and life's too short and difficult to forego all sugar.
First it was no eggs, then no fat, then suddenly it's all no sugar.  Moderation in anything except cigarettes?

libby1

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »

Since peri kicked in, I have an awful sweet tooth  :P  In fact I think I'm addicted because I do crave something sweet frequently. No, I'm not overweight or thirsty, just love sweets, chocolate, biscuits etc  ::)

Libby
x

Dyan

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 11:36:02 AM »

Most of the time I try and eat healthily. I don't have sugar in my drinks but love chocolate, cakes etc.
I can go a long while without eating them,but when I do, I have a binge and eat loads at one time.
I think the more sugar you have the more you want.
I watched a programme that said if you can stay off it then you won't want it but as soon as I start on chocolate or cake I can't stop :o.
Then I feel guilty and go back to eating healthily again.
I sometimes wonder if I have some sort of eating disorder as I have done this binging since childhood. :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 12:33:02 PM »

If you go along to the GP Surgery and ask to speak with the Practice Nurse or your Mum's GP, you are able to put your point over.  Tell who ever you speak with that you would like it 'recognised that Mum is ……. ' .  In case she asks to see her notes then it is better that the GP doesn't 'note' it but should be able to remember when your Mum goes in that you have raised the issues.

Confidentiality is a grey area as is the Data Protection Act (don't get me started  >:( ) but there is nothing to say that the GP isn't allowed to listen. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]