News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IBS??  (Read 6055 times)

Miss Lemon

IBS??
« on: July 17, 2015, 07:45:53 PM »

Does anyone else have problems with IBS?

I've had problems with occasional indigestion/bloating for years but since I started peri, I've been very unwell with painful bowel spasms, diarrhoea,ctrapped wind, bloating, pain, etc. have had investigations and have been dispagnosed with IBS and functional dyspepsia but I feel confident that it's part of this hormonal nightmare.

any advice would be gratefully received.

Melly

Re: IBS??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »

Yes Miss Lemon, I have had an dreadful uptick in all those GI symptoms you mention since my peri-mania began.  I've found by increasing my consumption of fiber via foods, supplements and a probiotic have made a difference.  Not a cure-all but the frequency, intensity have lessened.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »

Yep.

Miss Lemon

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »

Thank you Melly and CLKD. Aren't we lucky!  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 01:53:13 PM »

Nope  ;D

Mine began many years ago as I was anorexic, eventually my gut spasm stopped completely.  My tummy was hungry but there wasn't any more room in there so I felt sick++ if I tried to eat/drink  :-\.  My GP gave me Colpermin peppermint capsules for upper gut wind and Motillium to aid digestion in general: to be swallowed within the hour prior to eating main meals.  Within 3 days I felt well again. 

Both can be purchased OTC.  Actimel-type drinks have helped my gut balance too.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »

You can't buy Motillium any more due to links with heart issues. It's prescription only.

Buscopan is very helpful for IBS bowel spasms. You can just buy that.

I'm afraid it's down to diet. Do you have trigger foods. If you google FODMAP it can give you an idea of good foods and ones to avoid like the plague  ::)

Honeyb
X

Miss Lemon

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »

That's interesting CLKD, I had anorexia too. I use Clopermin, which helps with the upper digestive problems and Buscopan, which helps with the lower.

Thanks honeybun, I know that I can't eat peanuts, tomatoes and chocolate and I can't drink wine or anything fizzy. Other than that, I think it is stress triggered and hormone related, sadly.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 02:11:44 PM »

We used to give the dogs Buscopan if necessary  ::)

GeordieGirl

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »

Cut out gluten - it's a big offender
Cut down on dairy, try substituting with goats' milk / cheese or almond or coconut milks
Cut out processed crap  food
Reduce red meat
Fill up with good, organic fruit and veg.
Cut right back on sugar

I didn't have IBS or food allergies - or so I thought - until trying the above! Now I realise that the awful bloated feeling, the drowsiness and lethargy and the constipation were all down to diet.  I can't begin to say how much better I feel following the above (except a bit stricter) and it's been much easier than I thought.

GG x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 02:20:48 PM »

:thankyou:: however, not cutting down on dairy.  I don't like the way goat products taste like goats smell  ;D

Am slowly altering my diet but I have many years of slow transit to deal with.  At least I don't get the cramps and not too much wind.  If I swallowed too much Colpermin my pooh would smell of peppermint  ::)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:34:09 PM by CLKD »

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »

Mine is stress without a doubt. Then I get into a bit of a visicious circle ...the more stressed I get the worse my stomach gets and then I get more stressed trying to cope with it.

I take Lansoprazole in the morning and also Gaviscon Advance before bed. I also have herbal drops to help with the runs and washing machine churning noises that my stomach does.

I have also altered my diet a lot. I don't eat a lot of dairy, or bread. Hardly any sweet things, or ready made foods. I have to be careful with fruit and veg otherwise I spend the next day sitting on the loo.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 02:34:44 PM »

Do you read a magazine or Very Good Book whilst there  ;) - I do crossword puzzles  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »

Oh no, I'm too busy being in pain to concentrate on anything. Fortunately doesn't happen that often if I watch what I eat.

Fish for dinner tonight...it always sits well.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 03:54:47 PM »

:-\ …….. I find a deep bubble bath helps shift wind  ;)  DH will shout 'jacuzzi working then'  :o

Dorothy

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 08:09:06 PM »

I used to have terrible trouble, but following diet changes, it's much better.  Fatty food, chocolate and potatoes are the ones I have to watch.   Peppermint tea is a good digestive aid - one cup taken just after a meal usually prevents problems starting.  I find chamomile tea very helpful if it does flare up.  2-3 cups fairly close together usually soothes it.  Chamomile is a mild sedative/soporific so helps alleviate stress and is also good at calming upset digestive systems.  (If you've not tried it before, I'd suggest just one cup while you are feeling ok to check you don't have an allergy to it.  Don't drink large amounts of chamomile long-term as excessive use can actually CAUSE irritation to the digestive system.)
Pages: [1] 2