Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do I need Citalopram?  (Read 10644 times)

Hurdity

Re: Do I need Citalopram?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »

Isn't diazepam a "Benzo"? If so I would go easy on taking these especially every other day. They are highly addicitve and withdrawal could be worse than withdrawal from a short course of sertraline - from what I understand. Hvae you just started taking these?

I do hope the Femoston kicks in and you feel better. As some of the others have said if you can find ways to manage without Ads using techniques and reading such as Dancinggirl suggests then all the better, as you don't want to be on them for life unless you absolutely can't function without them! Once you are through the menopause then if you have the right HRT at the right dose anxiety should not be a major problem - if you didn't suffer from it at other times in your life - because hormones are stabilised. You just then need oestrogen at a sufficent level to keep your mood lifted, and the right progestogen that doesn't itself cause anxiety ( which some of them do!).

Hurdity  :) x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 10:16:58 AM »

Yes I was conscious that I didn't want to swap diazepam for sertraline. I've taken 6 in 13 days which has hopefully seen me through the worst of the withdrawal. So from today won't take any more diazepam. It just feels that I'm suffering from rebound anxiety since stopping the sert.

I was a nervous girl growing up but as an adult it all disappeared until the last year when it has come back strongly.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »

We have a thread about dreams too  ::)

For me depression is totally different from anxiety.  Some ADs can ease both problems apparently.

How is your diet in general?  Low blood sugar can cause anxiety surges so eating every 3 hours might help.

You know last night, I thought to myself that I am confusing anxiety with hunger. I realised that I hadn't eaten for 7 hours.  Going to start doing a diary and seeing if there's a link to it all.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »

Was just thinking that yesterday I had some chocolate and some of the kids sweets wonder if that's why I feel so rubbish today. Been walking 3 miles every day with a hope of raising my endorphins.

CKLD - you may remember we previously spoke about my husband missing a stag do, I need to get myself sorted for the wedding 2 weeks today. No pressure!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 02:36:55 PM »

It is important to eat small amounts often - if you don't eat for long periods then your blood sugar drops and this will really effect your mood. Avoid sugary stuff and caffein for a while and really concentrate on a good balanced diet that will give you energy.  Very good to get some exercise - well done. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »

For goodness sake  :bang: :bang: :bang:  stop worrying about whether you will become addicted to Valium etc., use as necessary i.e. when you feel that anxiety is spiralling out of control or as I did in the 1990s, the night before an 'event' I couldn't wriggle out of.  2mg is nowt in the bit scheme, I was advised 10mg daily if required.  Because I knew it relieved symptoms I didn't need to use it unless necessary.  Same with the current emergency med., I know it works …….. in fact GP has prescribed another packet  ;) - the current 1 was given to me exactly 2 years ago and I have plenty left. 

We are more aware of the possibilities of addiction and once I knew how my body and brain reacted to the various short-term anti-anxiety meds., I could cope [ish].  I tend to grab it more when we are on holiday etc., at home I try to ride it out but it is so hard sometimes recognising nausea as illness or hunger  >:(

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »

As Dancinggirl & CLKD say - eat little and often - no wonder you felt weird! I never go 7 hours without food except at night!! I have always suffered unpredictably from low blood sugar symptoms if I go too long - but it doesn't happen often, although no way of knowing when! I always make sure I have low GI foods - ie slow release energy etc. If you then had chocolate and kids sweets - then you will be spiking your insulin levels - which if you keep doing this over time will make you crave sugar/carbs even more and eventually can lead to insulin resistance, wieght gain and possibly diabetes in the worst case scenario - as well as the odd symptoms due to fluctuating blood sugar.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 07:32:53 PM »

When I walked a lot or was 'on the go' in a very busy job, I could eat what I wanted in the way of cakes, chocolate, buns; now I find they make my system feel sluggish so have cut them out.  Keeping a packet of ginger biscuits by the bed was useful so that I could eat when I woke feeling weird. 

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »

I've had a really bad day today. Been crying, down and miserable. Just can't see how I'm going to improve without AD's. 2 weeks ago I was feeling anxious, and tonight I am too. I keep picturing in my head my kids walking to school without me.  I suppose because I feel like I've lost the old me. Don't think I've ever felt so low. So just got to give the Citalopram a shot for the sake of my family.

Any positives on Citalopram very welcome right now xxx

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 07:51:34 PM »

I take the sister AD cipralex without problems.  What dosage as been suggested? 

Have you eaten today?

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 08:19:57 PM »

I have been prescribed 20 mg but may halve it to get me started. Yes been snacking throughout the day but when I had my low point earlier, I couldn't eat to save my life. It's almost like the anxiety stops me from eating.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »

It's a lovely day here in Sheffield. I woke up feeling real, a bit raw but like myself. After an awful day yesterday, I've decided to try and have today medication free and see how I get on. Then if I still feel ropey tomorrow, I think I'll then make my decision about Citalopram.  Going to get myself outside with the kids and try and have some fun. Wish me look.☺️

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 09:17:14 AM »

Sounds like a good plan!

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 07:02:35 PM »

It takes Citalopram a week/10 days to kick in and 3/4 months before a patient can feel benefit  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]