Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: I feel so sorry  (Read 6699 times)

honeybun

I feel so sorry
« on: June 09, 2015, 02:50:23 PM »

For my aunt.

I'm sure some of you will remember....she is the one who is a Jehovah's Witness.
She has fallen umpteen times and broken legs and her hip. She fell again a few weeks ago and fractured her sternum. She also has dementia and hasn't really been safe for quite a while.

It has now been decided that she has to go into a home. She has been moved from hospital to a sort of convalescent home until a place becomes available . There is a Witness nursing home in England that they home she can get into. None of the family have any input. She has alienated most of her nieces and nephews over the years so basically she has no one looking out for her interests at all.

It's very very sad that really not one single persons cares where she goes. She has a house to sell and a lifetime of things that need to be dealt with. I can't imagine much care will be given to that. She has a few friends so hopefully someone will take care with her things.

I can't get involved, I just can't take on another old woman, and I don't think she would want me anyway.
It's always been the witnesses that she wanted and now she is just a bother to them.

It's a rotten situation.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I feel so sorry
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »

Hopefully within the JW system there is a person who legally advocates for those they care for?  She isn't a bother Honeybun, it was her/their choice and their Christian up-bringing means that they ought to 'care'  ;)

Sad if you had a relationship with her years ago otherwise …….. what you hear and what is reality may be different?

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »

I just know that the person she named as having power of attorney has never even been to visit her.....not once.

It's not the same as having someone who actually cares.
My sis won't go near it as she was accused of all sorts last time. It's the sorriest days work my aunt ever did telling my sister it was none of her business as my sister would have made absolutely sure she got the best care she could afford and that her precious things went with her.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:42:59 PM »

Oh dear, maybe not what you wanted but obviously what is best for her. My FIL was put in an interim care home, but he  liked it so we decided it was best to leave him there. Wasn't our choice, but huge waiting lists at one we liked.

How far is JW care home? As you have little input, I guess there's little info coming your way either. She has isolated herself from family, so not much you can do anyway. You can only hope that she will get decent care in JW home.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »

It really is a shame HB but your Aunt decided to commit to the JWs totally.
Don't think there's a lot you can do.
Hopefully, the JWs will treat her well.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 09:14:08 PM »

I think the home is around Blackpool. She did live in England for over 40 years so hopefully someone will visit her.
I just find it very sad but I'm sure she will be well looked after.

Poor old thing.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »

Her choice.  Not your sheep, not your farm  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »

Although it may seem sad honeyb this was her decision and I'm sure that she will be well cared for by like-minded people. With her dementia it probably makes little difference to her whether she actually knows her visitors to be honest. She seems to have washed her hands of her real family but her spiritual family will hopefully meet all of her needs. I really don't see what you could have done.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 11:11:45 PM »

Any news on your Aunt?