Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How many drinks a day?  (Read 6610 times)

bramble

How many drinks a day?
« on: July 16, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »

The advent of my new juicer has made me realise how little fluid I drink in a day - 2 cups of coffee and one glass of fruit juice, maybe a small glass of water. I know it is not enough but what are the guidelines for fluid intake? Anyone know? or what is the average you all drink in a day?
Bramble

Dorothy

Re: How many drinks a day?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »

I tend to have about 6-8 large mugs of water, 1-2 herbal tea, one mug of tea and one glass of pomegreat a day.  More if it's very hot or if I am working a lot (gardening).

You are right that what you are drinking is nowhere near enough, especially as caffeine is a diuretic.  I tend to start off the day with a mug of water and have one before any meal.  Not only hydrates, but also makes me feel less empty so I eat less (that's the theory anyway!)

Gill Mojo

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 05:28:46 PM »

This varies so much depending on what and where you read, but I go through a 2 litre bottle of water every day, plus two or three fruit teas and that seems to work well for me.

Briony

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 05:59:35 PM »

I have, on average, two drinks an hour (until 8ish in the evening). GP did test for diabetes once, just in case, but I was fine. I hate the feeling of being dehydrated/dry mouth.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »

It's supposed to be about two litres a day. I don't drink anywhere near that but I keep a glass next to the sink and when I go into the kitchen I have a glass of water. I drink two ordinary cups of tea in the morning. Milk with lunch....glass of wine with dinner, red bush tea in the evening and water in between. I don't think I do too badly. I have a bladder like a thimble and go to the loo quite a lot especially in the mornings.

Just sip during the day....diluting juice is good if you don't like water.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »

I'm trying to up my intake, but find myself up all night going to loo. I've tried to take glass of water first thing & have glass by kitchen sink. Just got to get into habit of doing it. I need to cut down after about 8pm or so to stop me needing loo umpeen times a night.

Rebelyell

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »

I never used to drink anything but coffee during the day but now drink water constantly.  Not sure why, and not convinced it makes any great difference.    The GP told me we usually get enough liquid from food without drinking loads of water, and our bodies tell us when we need more.

Good luck with the juicer - I am going to get some spinach to add to fruit for use in mine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 07:55:24 PM »

It's not the amount of drink per se because many food stuffs break down as fluids.  The thing to look at is the colour of your pee.

First of the day - i.e. after 4.30 a.m. - will be dark.  The rest urine passed should be straw coloured and non smelly.  Any lighter and you are drinking too much which can be dangerous, if urine in the day remain dark then you are not hydrated enough.

It was the bottled water companies that suggested 2 litres per day  :o  which can be too much.  I start the day with blackT and 2 sugars; the same mid-morning.  Probably 2 more during the afternoon but I find that tea alters flavour during the day  :-\.  I have bottled water if I'm thirsty and take my evening meds with chocolate milk shake, home made.  No idea about how much each drink measures.  My pee remains straw coloured ……..

I found that if I didn't drink enough in the day I would be up more in the night as the kidneys have to work harder.

Dyan

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »

I start the day with 2 cups of tea.
A glass of water at breakfast to take meds.
About an hour later another glass of water.
Coffee or tea.
Another glass of water.
Lunch with a glass of water.
Cuppa in the afternoon.
Glass of water while preparing a meal.
Glass of water with my evening meal and then one before I go to bed to take my other meds.
To my reckoning that's about 7 glasses of water a day.

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »

Interesting, CLKD, as I had a dietician friend who said the same.  People who cut down on their liquid intake to try to avoid going to the loo in the night are actually MORE likely to need to go.  It sounded crazy, but I've found that if I don't drink enough, I am up a lot more in the night!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »

:thankyou:  ……… I was mulling this over in the early hours:

I also eat fruits and veg. which will equate to water passed; in the winter we have stews = gravy/water; right now we are picking soft berries from the garden and buying melons from the supermarket.  I had a melon, small piece of ham, tomatoes and yellow cucumber (home grown) for lunch.

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »

I certainly feel as though I need to spend a penny more if I don't drink enough as the concentrated urine stings.  However I actually pass less than I do if I keep hydrated.  I have a cup of tea first thing and mid afternoon, 4 x 200ml glasses of water through the day and a peppermint, fennel and rose tea in the evening.  I guess that's about 1.2 litres a day on average.  Feels about right for me.

2 litres a day is a generalisation as someone 5 ft tall and 8 stone would surely not need as much as someone 5 ft 7 tall and 11 stone  :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »

Or someone doing regular exercise?  Watching le Tour and the Pro-cyclists are eating gels or drinking regularly ….. or falling off, regularly  ::)

I have a dry mouth today, bit like prior to a cold staring  >:(