Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feeling so much better, but getting fatter!  (Read 3962 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Feeling so much better, but getting fatter!
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:28:52 PM »

Well fingers crossed the HRT seems to have wrestled my hormones into submission at last. It's taken long enough! I'm now going into my 5th week of 8 hours sleep every night, zero anxiety and generally just feeling really good again.

But in the last month I have gained 7lbs! I know there are no calories in HRT but my appetite has really increased and I'm eating more.

I realise now how repressed my appetite had been over the last 18 months. And I could go for weeks and weeks not being able to eat anything sugary or high in fat. During my worst times I could only eat very plain, dry foods like oatcakes or clear soup. I ended up losing nearly a stone.

Don't get me wrong I am massively relieved to be feeling so much better but wondered if this weight gain might level out?

Briony

Re: Feeling so much better, but getting fatter!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »

Ditto! Been a 8-10 all my life, very fit, and now I am a12. Hate it, but have to admit, it's worth it for the reduced anxiety. Particularly noticeable on my tummy/bum. Am hoping my appetite will calm down soon! X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »

Maybe review your diet?  What exactly are you eating?  I tried keeping a food diary but forgot after 3 days  ::) but generally have altered what I eat, i.e. not as much hidden sugars but more muesli-type bars like the Pro-cyclists munch.  Also more bananas as they are slow release.

So pleased that you are feeling better, I know what a struggle you have had  :foryou:

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »

My Dad wore braces  ;) ………

Middle Aged Spread? really does happen  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 11:52:30 AM »

Same here, in the last few months my belly muscles have laxed completely  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »

::) …….. I only pull mine in when talking to someone ……….

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 03:42:44 PM »

Thanks everyone :)

I am waking up hungry which I haven't done for years and years. And I suddenly get overwhelming cravings for something sweet. Had to have 3 big spoonfuls of jam at bedtime last night. Crazy!

Have just finished my Utro and have felt bloated these last few days and boobs are bigger. But bleed has already started so am hoping my appetite might calm down on just the oestrogen phase?

I am looking very solid and matronly around my middle and it's making me look frumpy. I'm 5ft 7" and now weigh 11 stone 7lbs so I'm not hugely overweight but I am looking and feeling heavier than I'm comfortable with.

But on the plus side I am feeling soooooo much better mood wise and sleeping really well.

I thought taking HRT was meant to stop the middle age spread?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »

Enjoy feeling better!

pepperminty

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »

GRL,

thank goodness it has finally kicked in 2 months behind me I believe? Don't get too hung up on your weight, just keep a check on it and if you feel like something sweet - we have all done the jam thing- try a options hot chocolate drink or some sugar free jelly- works for me.

Peppermintyxx

SmitsAnnie

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »

I'm not sure that it's the HRT ....

I am trying to avoid HRT, and am cutting down on what I eat - I've never been big - but have found lately that I am hungry all the time, and have put on 2 dress sizes -eating LESS!

Just another little "pressie" from the menopause fairy!

Greenfields

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »

So glad you are feeling so much better GRL.
I envy you the sleep - I still wake up at night every night and have to get up to pee.
I also am still struggling emotionally - but I think that's about recovering from a breakdown and managing the stress I'm currently under.

Marf

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »

You're more relaxed and happy so you'll feel able to eat more which is great. Just don't eat the wrong things (too often 😉) and you'll be fine, but fatter and feeling good is better than skinny and feeling rubbish! I've just had a week of major anxiety attacks and have changed to Femiston 2/10, and booked in for a course of CBT, fingers crossed it works.

SallyG

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 01:33:30 AM »

Well done GRL, I am so glad for you. It is such a relief when things start to work and you realise you are not going insane. HRT has worked for me so far and has improved my anxiety level no end.
Thank goodness for this site and the good Dr Evans. As well as my female GPs at my local practice.
Greenfields, a special hello. I know what you are going through getting over a breakdown. You are doing really well. Its very common and it teaches us a lot I think. I should be asleep now but am awake trying to make sense of my life!!
Best wishes

Sally Gxx :medal: :medal:

Greenfields

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »

Thanks SallyG - your kind words mean a lot.
Hope things are going better for you with work.
Hugs xxx

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 08:43:38 AM »

Thank you for everyone's really kind words.

I think the most important thing by far is the feeling better and happier. I actually had a bit of a blip last night. Nothing too bad just felt uneasy and tired but 'knew' I wouldn't sleep well if that makes sense (I'm sure it does to those who suffer with insomnia). And sure enough, twice I very nearly dropped off to sleep but then a nasty adrenaline jolt shocked me awake. I hate those. So I ended up lying there for the next 3 hours. I think I managed to get a couple of hours sleep in the end, but this morning I feel a bit sicky and very drained.

Looking at my mood diary though, I have just finished my withdrawl bleed and this has happened before at the same time. I think right now my own oestrogen is at its lowest (is this right?) so my patch is struggling to make up the shortfall. Plus I'd had a very busy weekend with taxi-ing my children everywhere then two big social get togethers mixing with people I don't know that well. And my husband is away working, so I had to tackle it all alone. I think it really took it out of me.

Fingers crossed if I can get a decent night's sleep tonight I should feel much better tomorrow.