Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: RIGHT THATS IT!!!  (Read 3221 times)

SJ

RIGHT THATS IT!!!
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »

Day 14 of a period.  (Well brownish crappy discharge for over a week that wont go away no matter how much i shower down there!).  Period style cramps (not particularly on anyside, just there, more like a heavy feeling together with the dragging sensation in my thighs which is always nice).  My mood is lower than rock bottom and my anxiety is higher than any mountain range!!!  Im so ugly and cant make it better whatever i do.  Hubby barely touches me when im on my period so this makes me worse, even though ive said id still like cuddles and kisses when im on, but said this for years and its not got any better.

Had an internal/external scan back in May as my GP was trying to persuade me to have the merina coil fitted but wanted to rule out fibroids before she thought about putting it in there (I personally dont want it though so im going to tell her thats out of the question).

So........... my question to you, all my learn-ed friends is........... at my GP appointment tomorrow, what shall i ask for?  Im 44 and had this since i was 40. (though the symptoms seem to have increased since i was 43).  GP has agreed that its perimenopause but weve not discussed doing anything about it yet as was waiting for the scan (which incidentally ive been too frightened to go back and get the results of.  Silly I know, but hoping that because they havent contacted me by now that its nothing major). :'(

So what do i do now?  Do i need oestrogen?? the merina coil, HRT or just a kick up the backside??!!!! :'(

robotwars

Re: RIGHT THATS IT!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »

I have all your symptoms so know exactly what your feeling along with some joint pain now as well!!!!! I went to my GP and she has given me some HRT patches to try, which I'm just about to start, i'mhoping this will help, I will let you know!! I also know what you mean about husbands..... his favourite line lately is " Your never available!!! "LOL

I hope you get some answers tomorrow but I have all your symptoms and when I had my scan it was clear, Good Luck for tomorrow, let us know how you get on?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »

Hi SJ
Firstly - if there had been anything wrong then they would have been in touch I'm sure - so don't worry. I had very similar symptoms to you and it was definitely caused by peri meno.
You are young and if your oestrogen levels are low(have they tested this?) and you are getting all these peri meno type symptoms then I would try a bit of HRT.  Your own hormones are still fluctuating so you might not want anything too strong to start with.  I had an early meno and found too much oestrogen gave me headaches. When I was put on one pump of Oestrogel each day( a really low dose) with 10 days of progesterone each month to induce the withdrawal bleed, this combo kept me much more stable.  The withdrawal bleeds were really light and no problem. There are a choice of progesterones - Utrogestan is the most bio identical but Provera (MPA) can suit many women well.  I'd avoid Norethisterone(Micronor) if you can. I wouldn't rule out having a Mirena as this can be great because it usually results in no bleed at all after the first few months.
If you want to keep life simple and use a pill HRT then many women find Femoston 1/10 a good one to start with.
If you don't get flushes etc and you simply want to stop the spotting then progesterone alone will do this.
Good luck tomorrow - do write out your questions etc. so you don't forget anything.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »

Hi SJ

You haven't said how often your periods are now and if they are irregular? You don't mention flushes or sweats but it is likely if your periods have become irregular in length and frequency, that your oestrogen levels are dropping. Once any problems have been ruled out (and yes I agree they would have contacted you if there was something to worry about), I also think you might benefit from a low oestrogen dose. I definitely would not have a Mirena without added oestrogen. If you were able to tolerate a Mirena this gives the freedom to choose oestrogen and whatever dose/type you like and tweak it to suit - but I understand why you might not want to have this ( I refused the offer of one).

If menopause is likely to happen in a couple of years then you are still quite young so oestrogen is recommended for health protection (primarily bones and heart).

Do let us know how you get on tomorrow and if we can help with anything else  :)

Hurdity x

SJ

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »

Thank you very much for your replies I appreciate all your advice!!

Sorry Hurdity forgot to mention that I get flushes mostly in the mornings from 4am onwards and then not much after lunch. Irregular periods mostly for 18 months but periods have changed completely since I turned 40. Some months heavy but short and some months long but dark brown. Have skipped a couple too. :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »

Many men don't like to be close to menstruating women. 

Also, you may find that your GP has the result even if the Dept hasn't let you know.  Make a list to take with you?

SJ

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »

Yes the hospital told me the results would go to my GP so to get them from her. But been to anxious to go get them.

charliegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »

I have also been offered the mirena coil plus oral estrogen. What are the disadvantages of the coil. Does anyone have one? Thanks. Charliegirl.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »

charliegirl - I had the Mirena for 4 years post meno and found it fine.  There are a number of side effects one can get e.g. the initial early boost of progesterone can make one feel a bit sedated and occasional tummy cramps are common but generally the advantages can be good.  After the first few weeks, that may bring some bleeding and spotting, most some women end up with no bleeds at all.  Minimal progesterone is absorbed systemically so problems such as PMT type symptoms, fibroids, excessive bleeding etc. that can emerge with other forms of HRT(particularly in the peri stage) can be controlled. The mirena is very popular now with many gynaes because it will often help or reduce problems relating to heavy bleeding and also provide contraceptive protection in the peri meno stage.
Like so many things, the horror stories relating to the Mirena do end up on the internet and I think many of us are not keen on having something permanently inside us. I think on the the top benefits is the fact you can add as much oestrogen as you want to control flushes, night sweats etc without having to adjust the progesterone.
Fro those who are really progesterone intolerant the Mirena will still give problems though.
BTW - if you do decide to give the Mirena a try - and don't forget if you don't like it, it's easy to remove - I wouldn't take oestrogen in pill form, go for patch or gel as this is far better for absorption and less likely to upset the stomach.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 12:18:36 PM »

SJ - what's the worst that the results could show?  Your GP will probably tell you so let her know how anxious you have been!

SJ

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 02:11:46 PM »

Hi CLKD my worst fear was them finding something cancerous. Been back to the doctor and she confirmed I do have fibroids but they're nothing to worry about and everything else is normal.  Phew.  I've now had swabs and a scan and everything's ok, so today she did the blood test for menopause. Even tho I'm young, it's prob still worth doing even tho she said it's unpredictable as hormones can say something completely different next month, so we shall see.

She did agree that it's definitely hormonal changes tho. So at least I know it's not actually me losing my mind. It's my body's way of trying to confuse my mind!  ;D. Going on holiday mid August so she's given me norethisterone to delay any period for August. Then I'll go back in September to discuss progesterone. I'm happy with this as I really don't want my body anymore confused than it is now. Had norethisterone many times before to delay holiday periods and it's been fine so as a short term solution to get me they my hols, I'm happy.  8)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »

:medal: for you and  :tulips2: for your GP  ;)

We have a holiday thread if you want to join in  :gym:

SJ

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »

Thank u so much for ur support and speedy responses. Can't tell u how important it is knowing that u are all out there going thru the same things. Yay! 😘

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 05:37:43 PM »

You sound brighter!

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 06:53:19 PM »

Glad all is OK SJ - I presume you mean you will go back in September to discuss oestrogen not progesterone, or at least both? If you are having night sweats etc and have started missing periods then you probably would benefit from low dose oestrogen (as well as progesterone) and a combi pill (eg Femoston as Dancinggirl has already suggested) should regulate your cycle. I have a fibroid too but still on HRT - hopefully it hasn't got much bigger recently....

Hurdity   :) x