Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Broadband and call providers  (Read 6400 times)

honeybun

Broadband and call providers
« on: July 27, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »

Experiences ladies please.

Any to avoid......we are currently with BT but the cost keeps going up so I'm thinking of a change.

Honeyb
X

babyjane

Re: Broadband and call providers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 02:52:28 PM »

we have been very happy with virgin and I have a friend who is more than happy with plusnet.  We didn't have any trouble with Tesco back in the olden days either. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:54:33 PM »

We are sticking with BT for the time being.  Too much phaff  ::)

bramble

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 02:54:43 PM »

I had problems with Tesco. Changed to Talktalk - they are fine.

Bramble

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 03:22:54 PM »

BT are a pain but at least you can contact them directly when there are problems on the phone/broadband line. We've had many line problems around here, where people getting their broadband/phone from another provider, v??gin, s?y, for example, ended up having to contact BT themselves as BT would only action line repairs when contacted by the account holders directly.

Gill Mojo

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 03:54:29 PM »

I agree with others here: BT suck hugely and they secretly cap you (whilst swearing constantly that they don't). We're due a change in October I think so will get my techy son to check out the best deals and most reliable broadband. Mind you, might be worth waiting as we are due to get fibre optics next year... watch this space :D

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:00:45 PM »

We planned to change from Sky this year due to rising cost. However, to get what we wanted on BT was going to cost much the same, not worth the change. Alternative was to go onto free view, but we'd lose all the decent channels.

oldsheep

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »

We have fibre with BT. It was them or Sky (Plusnet is owned by BT and is a bit downgraded, although a bit cheaper). We also wanted BT Sport, which they threw in with the deal, although are now planning to charge extra for the Champions League football which is a cheek.
Recently had a problem and to my amazement, my email was answered! BT customer service is legendarily awful. A neighbour is with Virgin and says similar problem. Another neighbour has had a lot of negative issues with Talk Talk's reliability.
Not sure how good Sky are. If you're getting fibre, you'll want the one with the best router.

Anyone on here used a wifi extender? I just got one from BT and of course it doesn't work. Thick walls, so wifi is patchy in the bedroom, even for radio streaming.
Don't think BT do any retention deals. Sky do. It's pretty much always possible to get some sort of discount out of Sky when you are out of contract, just threaten to leave.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:14:51 PM by oldsheep »

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »

How about broadband....is sky ok because I have negotiated a good deal for BB, calls and a TV package. Not bought it yet though. I will go back and ask for a bit more discount.  ::)

We have issues with broadband speed as we have not got the latest and greatest here being fairly rural. BT is ok but getting more expensive by the day it would seem.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »

HB I suspect that changing suppliers won't help your BB speed, it all uses the same underlying wiring and exchange infrastructure. However, you may get a better price with a different supplier.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »

The speed is ok, and we have been told things won't get any faster. BT have been reliable sort of but for another £5 a month I can have Skye TV too.

Just wondered what their call and broadband service was like.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 09:44:37 PM »

Depends on area HB. Our BB with Sky is slow, but daughter's is really good down south. There's a website you can check out BB speeds on.

Calls are great, we have anytime calls which is great! None of this waiting until after 6pm or weekends.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »

BT own the lines anyway …….. they do all the installation etc..  BT then rent off the 'space' as it were  ::)

littleminnie

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »

We used to be with Virgin but the internet kept going off so we swapped to BT.
Never had any problems so I don't know what the Customer Service is like (probably awful like the rest of them).  I believe if you have you internet with BT you can get a good mobile phone sim deal so going to look into that when my contract is up. It's through BT but the provider is EE.
I get unlimited calls on my mobile so don't really use BT for phone calls.