Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT advice needed, please.  (Read 1390 times)

Sarai

HRT advice needed, please.
« on: July 13, 2015, 05:13:20 PM »

Right I've bitten the bullet and emailed my consultant to see if I am allowed HRT, due to my blood condition, so if he says yes, what do I ask for?
I am a migraine sufferer so gather I need something on the skin. Plus I am having periods, not regular though. I am 53. I am very very sensitive to everything in the drug line. And judging by my mood swings I'm sensitive to my own bl**dy hormones too.
Ideally I would like to sleep better as I wake every hour and my mood swings are dreadful, all of which make my tinnitus worse. Believe me tinnitus is not just a noise it effects me cognitively too.
I have read so many names on here and I'm confused, very confused. I imagine I need a values dose of anything I try.

Annie0710

Re: HRT advice needed, please.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 05:56:41 PM »

I'm useless at all this but if you try a patch maybe go for the closest to our own form of hormones plus start in a low level, I'm cutting my patch in half until I feel confident to stick the whole one on (last try with the whole one = massive migraine)

Ladies say progesterone helps you sleep and that utrogestan is the nearest match to our own, I think as long as you ask for bio identical and don't use high amounts but build up slowly it's worth a try, you see what works for one woman doesn't necessarily work for another

Good luck

Annie xx

Mary G

Re: HRT advice needed, please.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 07:04:43 PM »

Sarai, I am a fellow migraine sufferer aged 54 and you have my sympathy.  My migraines started again in the peri menopause (I had a few before my periods started) and I know from trial and error that mine are ONLY caused my artificial progesterone (also know as progestins).  The progesterone I used to produce myself before the menopause never caused me any problems and I never had any period problems or PMT during what is know as the "hormone gateway". 

It is important to find out what triggers your migraines, is it fluctuating oestrogen levels, progesterone levels being too high/low or (like me) any type of synthetic progestin?

Due to the migraines, the consultant I saw recommended estrogel (3 pumps) everyday and utrogestan (100mg) for 7 days each month (i.e. kept to the minimum because of the migraines) but I should point out that I am post menopause.  In your case, the dosage might be different if you are still having periods but others on here will probably be able to help on that one. 

I have tried a few types of HRT and I find the estrogel the most effective by far. 

I hope that helps!