Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kneeding some advice  (Read 5043 times)

Gill Mojo

Kneeding some advice
« on: July 13, 2015, 06:50:50 AM »

Yeah... I'll get me coat, but seriously...

I know I am a couple of stone overweight (I'm working on it!) but more and more I find my knees giving me issues, as well as my neck. At least once a week I find my knees become painful, almost feeling like I've wrenched them into an awkward position and I'm dealing with the after effects. They are increasingly stiff, despite the serious amount of walking I do, and there are days when walking upstairs is physically painful. I have also found my neck getting more and more stiff; turning to look left or right now requires an upper body shift rather than simply turning my head. I know I'm getting older, but some days I feel flippin' ninety! Apparently, joint issues are pretty common in menopause, as I am sure you all know.

What I would like to know is, what are the remedies you all use to relieve joint pain or stiffness? Do things like Yoga and Pilates help? I find I can't do any kind of impact exercise as it just exacerbates the problem, but I thought maybe stretches of some sort? So, any advice, lovely people, please?

Mrs January

Re: Kneeding some advice
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:34:01 AM »

Hello Gill

Me too, my knees are shocking, my neck too. I accept it as part of Meno but it is and can be painful.

Have you thought of trying swimming

Hugs Mrs J xxxx

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »

I have knee pain but mine is arthritis. You can help your joints by taking a good fish oil supplement.
I also use an anti inflammatory gel which I rub on twice a day.

This getting older is rubbish  ::)

Honeyb
x

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:42:26 AM »

My knees are bad too.  One of them is very painful and creaks as I walk up the stairs.  They often feel as if they have been disjointed and I need to straighten them.  I was told I had a vitamin D deficiency, so it might be worth getting that checked, but I think it is just our age.

marras

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:01:17 AM »

Nees and neck, me too! Also back and hips. I do Pilates to try and keep me moving and also swimming but I've always been very stiff and even more so now I am hurtling towards my dotage. >:(

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:20:56 AM »

Hello Gill Mojo ( and loving the joke btw ).

I thought I'd mention that apart from a little stiffness I have escaped any joint issues despite being five years post meno. I wonder if this is because I take a lot of fish oil capsules daily to treat an inflammatory condition and as we know fish oil contains vitamin D. Perhaps taking a good supplement or eating oily fish will help you.

Wishing you well and hang on to that sense of humour of yours, it's essential at this time in our lives!

Take care.

K.

Gill Mojo

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:38:27 AM »

Thanks for all the positive and useful replies. It really is nice to know I am not alone as I hurtle, with my violent purple rinse and turbo-charged zimmer-frame, into my dotage :D

Fish oil seems like a good idea. Sadly, I swim like a brick and I am terrified into complete panic if I can't get my feet on the floor so swimming may not be the way :D However, Pilates I reckon I can try ;)

Greenfields

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »

I take fish oils but have had joint issues since I damaged my arms with repetitive strain injury in my 30's/40's.

While swimming might not work, have you thought about aquafit/ aqua aerobics?  Doing exercise in a pool can really help as the water cushions the joints and you don't have to swim to do it.

Also, I've found resistance/ weight training exercises helpful to strengthen both my knees and my core.  You'll get some of this from pilates but seeing a good fitness trainer may help as well - for eg, squats can help to strengthen the knees but you need to get checked out first to make sure it is just a muscle issue.

I also wear orthotics in my shoes and trainers - and these help a lot as well with my knees.

Hope this helps.

Hugs xxx

Gill Mojo

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »

Thank you so much for the advice, Greenfields :) I will have to check out my local council pool and see if they do classes. With a bit of perseverance I could probably manage not to be too terrified for that :D

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »

Hi Gill Mojo

Just to re-inforce what you know already - if you are two stone overweight - there is the problem with your knees ie it will make any potential issue far worse! Glad you are working on it and in fact losing the weight and increasing the exercise will be the best things you can do for your future health.  :) Obviously hormones come into it too - and not sure if you've said where you are in meno, how old, HRT blood tests etc. Have you had a blood test recently? eg re thyroid - often becomes a problem with women heading towards middle age and can lead to these symptpoms.

Hurdity x

Greenfields

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »

Thank you so much for the advice, Greenfields :) I will have to check out my local council pool and see if they do classes. With a bit of perseverance I could probably manage not to be too terrified for that :D

I hope you can find a class that works for you.  I will say that aquafit has done wonders for me - I had a breakdown in March and when I finally got the right HRT treatment (in May) I started to be able to do exercise again - and the aquafit was just so helpful.  A lot of people who come to the classes I go to are very large and trying to lose weight - and you can do it at a pace that suits you - you don't have to push yourself too hard.  I know some pools have varying levels of water - so look for a shallow water aquafit class or in deep water classes you can put a floatation device around your middle so that you don't sink.  The classes at the pool I go to are all shallow water classes so you can always put your feet on the ground.   

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 05:10:23 PM »

I have a lovely chiropractor who keeps me on the straight and narrow (literally).  If your frame is not properly aligned then exercises will not give you the correct benefits you are looking for.

I have not been nearly as mobile as I have been since having chiropractic treatment  :)

Judith57

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 06:31:26 PM »

If I put my hands on my kneecaps and bend them the crunching and grating noise is awful, like two bags of crisps. I don't do it anymore I got such a fright when I did it the first time. My neck is the same - a horrible grating noise. I really do need a can of WD40....

Dorothy

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »

I've found gentle stretching exercises help.  Also, Epsom salt baths ease the pain AMAZINGLY. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »

I would suggest that the knees are taken off to the X-ray dept. to see if there is any clinical damage or signs of osteo arthritis.  You can I believe self refer for physiotherapy to be shown gentle exercises and get advice on whether cycling is advisable (we have a thread about that here somewhere  ::)).  Continuing with the weight loss will help too. 

Otherwise when the pain is bothersome then take an anti-inflammatory.
Pages: [1] 2